The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I’m better than you, laws don’t apply to me

I was at the auto parts store and this guy pulls up, way up, right on the ramp area for the two handicap wheelchair spaces he split.

I guess it bugs me because my mom was handicapped and could barely walk before she passed away (had polio when she was a kid) and I remember her talking about all the jerks that blocked or parked in the handicapped zones. Right now one of my sister in laws has to use the handicapped zones and she also has the stories. Ok stepping off the soap box heh!
Attached Images

Last edited by CG; 09-03-2018 at 08:19 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: I’m better than you, laws don’t apply to me

THAT....that right there is one thing that pisses me off....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #3
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
X2 my mother in law has been paralyzed since 18 and has fought this crap forever. Lazy azz people. Ought just park behind them say if you can park anywhere I can too. Lol

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I could never let that pass without saying something to such a major center of the universe MFer. <That's Me Firster. I have use for any me first types. That jackass will get his oats one day...we can only hope.

And I don't see this as being about the law. People of common decency and respect for their fellow human beings don't need laws mandating their behavior.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
flashed

What a Jack Ass . My wife was Handicapped and I always respect those areas .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Judging by the marks on the parking lot this happens a lot and the handicap drivers pull off really aggressive and angry.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
Red71gmc

People like that used to get keyed. I guess that wouldn't work any more with a plastic fob.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
atog

There is one person that needs a little backwoods education. I have no use for such people and I tend to speak to those people without thinking first. But have NEVER had any regrets afterwords !
atog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
pritch

You can send that picture to the parking cops or whatever and if they can see the plate #, they'll send out a ticket. At least they do in Salt Lake.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

Ms Grumpy has Handicapped plates and when an idiot parks like that she just pulls in and leaves 6 inches between her passenger door and their drivers door. I don't care who they are they just sit and wait until she's done, Or better yet crawl across the passengers seat to get in .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #12
blazer2007

Trouble here in my town anyone with a limp or a scratch can get a handicapped sticker, I saw a guy in a lifted 4x4 with a handicapped sticker, he jumped out of there like a monkey. I,m a care aide and work mostly with Quadriplegics and it kinda urks me
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
YBNORML

One of the rare opportunities where a public confrontation is justified, And enjoyed, at least it is on my part.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
rpmerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
You can send that picture to the parking cops or whatever and if they can see the plate #, they'll send out a ticket. At least they do in Salt Lake.
Interesting. Baltimore has a 311 app that allows you to take and submit pictures. Might have to try this.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
greasemonkey

1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500

Last edited by greasemonkey; 09-06-2018 at 12:47 PM.
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #16
slomotion
Old Duffer

That is a no escape/excuse ticket offense in Maine without a handicap plate, or the sign that hangs on the inside rear view mirror.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #17
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

My wife has a disabled card. shoot,,, forgot the story to go with it .

Just remembered .we stopped at a intersection way out in southern Oregon to change drivers.. the wind was blowing a steady 60 mile @ hour and when we opened the doors ..her diabled card when flying out and across a field like a low flying jet..

It was real hard getting another from the DMV and the guy said he needed to see our car..what he really was doing is checking it out to maybe find we still had one hanging in the car and wanted another..

Reason I thought this is because he questioned us a lot about are we sure we didnt just misplace it or put in another car or truck we owned ,, or even a friends car..

Last edited by GOPAPA; 09-06-2018 at 08:37 AM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
fecklessgadfly

What really ticks me off on this one, is that a regular space would have been closer to the door. It's not just laziness and not wanting to walk. This was a choice, not a "oh, I just pulled as close as I could" not paying attention excuse. (not that any excuse is acceptable)

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #19
Shorty Cox

Recently, on a hot July day, I was at a large shopping center. The parking lot was crowded, and I had to park a long distance from the entry door. Just as approached the handicap parking area a flashy sports car pulled into the parking space and a young gentleman stepped out. Being hot as sweaty it ticked me, so I confronted him. Words were said and before long the words led to fisticuffs. I was holding my own until his elderly grandmother made her way out of the passenger seat and proceeded to start beating me with her crutches.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
Spartan

My brother has muscular distrophy. I free lance for a quadriplegic. I see healthy people with placards all the time, as well as persons without placards parking in handicap spots. My mother has a placard. She's 70 with bad knees. She actually parks farther away because "there's folk who need it more than I".

It ruffles my feathers like everybody here. I've been in fights over it. The local sheriff reminded me its not OK to punch a guy for doing it. Ill leave that story for another day...

Seriously what is wrong with people? I say we start knee capping these SOB so they get a real taste of real pain and having to walk that extra 10 spaces. Jeesh!

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #21
Shorty Cox

Let me see if I'm understanding everyone. When we witness this we should take the law into our own hands and confront the individual. Likewise, when we see someone speeding or roll through a stop sign, we should take the law into our own hands and confront the individual. Or, if we see someone rob the bank, we should take the law into our own hands and confront the individual. Where do you draw the line as to what laws you are willing to enforce. Mob rule is never correct. We have people on the payroll charged with enforcing laws.

Those parking spaces have very little to do with that facility making life easy for those in need of the space, but more to do with liability protection for the facility if they don't have a designated parking space.

If you wish to reside in a "free" country, you have to defend one's freedom to be an idiot.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #22
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Recently, on a hot July day, I was at a large shopping center. The parking lot was crowded, and I had to park a long distance from the entry door. Just as approached the handicap parking area a flashy sports car pulled into the parking space and a young gentleman stepped out. Being hot as sweaty it ticked me, so I confronted him. Words were said and before long the words led to fisticuffs. I was holding my own until his elderly grandmother made her way out of the passenger seat and proceeded to start beating me with her crutches.
Quote:
Let me see if I'm understanding everyone. When we witness this we should take the law into our own hands and confront the individual. Likewise, when we see someone speeding or roll through a stop sign, we should take the law into our own hands and confront the individual. Or, if we see someone rob the bank, we should take the law into our own hands and confront the individual. Where do you draw the line as to what laws you are willing to enforce. Mob rule is never correct. We have people on the payroll charged with enforcing laws.

Those parking spaces have very little to do with that facility making life easy for those in need of the space, but more to do with liability protection for the facility if they don't have a designated parking space.

If you wish to reside in a "free" country, you have to defend one's freedom to be an idiot.
hmm, not really sure what you're point is
Old 09-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #23
Coley

Whenever I see someone pull into a handicapped spot I always check to see if they have the card if I'm near by.
If they don't, I simply remind them directly that they are in a handicapped spot...no need to start with confrontation, they might have not seen the sign...noting that a lot of them fade out pretty badly.
If someone does not take the comment well....I simply take a pic of them and their car (w/ license plate showing) parked there, which is submissible for ticketing.

That said, I would guess that about 1/2 the people that park in the space with cards...are probably not the person who is handicapped.
Often people borrow or use their parents or spouses cards for the parking advantage and this is a lot more uncommon that people admit to...certainly if they are doing it.
I've seen more than my share of people bounce out of the drivers seat of a 'handicapped' car and quickly head into the store....with no visible signs of disability at all.

C.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
Grumpy old man

Quote:

I don't think it's so much taking the law into our own hands as pointing out to an idiot the error of their ways . The afflicted and infirm deserve the closest space to the door at ANY establishment they see the need to visit for no other reason than common courtesy . You live in the inner city of south LA, I live in the area of East Tn in a rural neighborhood ,It's a very "free" area and you can rest assured we will defend anyone's right to be an idiot right up to the point when they infringe on the laws put in place to protect and assist those who need compassion for their disabilities. Liability of the business has nothing to do with it .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #25
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

There are times when I see things like this and I'll find my way close enough to leave a nice door ding.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote