The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #101
MalibuKasey
Artist

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Hey Man give Doug a call... he can cut you a cam to whatever spec you want. Roller too!
877-497-2787 Ask for Bruce, tell em Kasey sent ya... He'll hook you up!!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #102
MalibuKasey
Artist

They can help with Pistons too!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #103
65Pickup

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevrolet-C-K...t_39120wt_1270

This link is a '69 same colors as yours, sure looks great. Good luck with the 6 refresh.
65Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #104
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKasey View Post
Hey Man give Doug a call... he can cut you a cam to whatever spec you want. Roller too!
877-497-2787 Ask for Bruce, tell em Kasey sent ya... He'll hook you up!!
Thanks Malibu! I'll look into that once I get that far with the project. I've found a rebuilt 292 that I'll run for now til the 250 is built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Pickup View Post
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevrolet-C-K...t_39120wt_1270

This link is a '69 same colors as yours, sure looks great. Good luck with the 6 refresh.
That is a beautimous truck! Thanks for posting that link!
Attached Images

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #105
theastronaut

Since we're on the subject of look-alike trucks, here's a pic of one I found on ebay that's a similar color. I also did a rough lowering job with MS paint. I posted some pics in the photoshop thread hoping someone would be able to drop it and swap 18's with stock caps on it, no luck yet.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #106
theastronaut

Got the rest of the bed floor support rails out tonight, no pics but they'd be pretty boring to look at anyways. Gunna take them and the new strips to the powdercoater monday and hopefully they'll be done within a couple weeks. That should give me time to get the wood painted and the bed sides undercoated before it all goes back in, that is if its warm enough! All the work on the bed has been done under an open shed so far, and its been gettin pretty cold once it gets dark so I'll probably start loading it up and hauling it to our shop when I work on it. My VW doesn't have heat so it'll be nice to get to drive this thing through the winter next year!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #107
MalibuKasey
Artist

Here ya go.... all you had to do was ask... GOSH!
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #108
theastronaut

Now I just got to make the real truck match that! Thanks so much!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #109
theastronaut

Not much to report. I've been sick the past week so no progress other than having alot of time for planning and researching.

I've decided to cup the lower control arms to get the bags into their design height at ride height. I've noticed alot of trucks running upper plates and lower cups with larger bags like my D2600's don't have enough heigth for the bag to be properly extended at ride height. Cupping the LCA's will gain about 2.5" more bag height than using bag cups in the factory spring pocket. I've found a pair of LCA's locally so I don't have to cut up the original LCA's. This mod should gain a better riding and handling truck.

I'm also planning on tearing the frame back down to paint and detail it. The powdercoat wasn't applied thick enough in places, especially around brackets and tight areas- thin enough that its already getting a thin coat of surface rust in places. I can spot blast the thin spots, then prep and paint the frame with a few coats of low gloss black enamel. I've been very impressed with Valspar's Tractor and Impement enamel for it's durability and finish quality so I'll pick up a gallon and hardener from Tractor Supply. I know its just going to be a driver, and it should be low enough that nobody's going to be looking under it but I'm more concerned about the frame being protected properly. I'll paint the bed floor strips insted of getting them powdercoated since I haven't been real happy with the quality of work I've seen from our local powdercoater lately, including the truck frame.

It's alot more work but it'll be worth it once it's all back together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #110
theastronaut

Here's a shot of one of the rusted areas. It's not that bad but I don't want it getting worse.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #111
MalibuKasey
Artist

Oh Id be flipping out! As expensive as powdercoating is... that wouldnt fly! I used the tractor implement paint on mine.... been driving it for awhile and it holds up great! I used gloss black just because it cleans easier. and with being a driver.... thats needed!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #112
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKasey View Post
Oh Id be flipping out! As expensive as powdercoating is... that wouldnt fly! I used the tractor implement paint on mine.... been driving it for awhile and it holds up great! I used gloss black just because it cleans easier. and with being a driver.... thats needed!
The place that did it is actually pretty cheap. They did a VW frame (welded in floorpans= lots of surface area) and all of the suspension a few years ago for us and charged $300 bucks- and thats for blasting and powdercoating. They prep everything well enough, but just didn't get enough powder on the frame. I still shouldn't have to go back and redo it though.

I like gloss black and it is easier to clean, but scrubbing it would make spiderweb/swirlmark type scratches and that would drive me crazy. I hate fine scratches worse than deep scratches. I used to detail cars when I was in high school and swirl marks or towel marks drive me insane! I don't care they're on a hood, or trailing arm, or an air filter lid, I see them and it makes me want to polish them out so bad... satin paint helps me keep my sanity.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #113
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I like gloss black and it is easier to clean, but scrubbing it would make spiderweb/swirlmark type scratches and that would drive me crazy. I hate fine scratches worse than deep scratches. I used to detail cars when I was in high school and swirl marks or towel marks drive me insane! I don't care they're on a hood, or trailing arm, or an air filter lid, I see them and it makes me want to polish them out so bad... satin paint helps me keep my sanity.
lol, you sound just like me...i'd rather have a big gash in the paint rather than some small blemish such as scratches/swirls/chips...same with dents, i'd rather have a huge one rather than those little ones...drives me nuts too! i'm fighting the urge to paint my S-10 satin black...i had my old custom '93 C-1500 in a show quality gloss at one point...after some modifications & messing up the paint, i put it in 2-tone tinted primer...it was so much easier to maintain & much easier on my sanity as well, don't get me wrong tho, cuz i love seeing a beautiful, deep glossy paintjob

sucks about the powdercoat though...have you told them what happened, or will you just let it slide?

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #114
theastronaut

They do good prep work and have done quality work in the past so I'd like to be able to use them again. If I do take anything else to them I'll definitly mention that the frame didn't get good coverage and that I'd like for them to spend a little extra time making sure everything is coated well.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #115
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

subscribed....for educational purposes!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #116
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

For the stuff you build id take that back and say hey....fix this...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #117
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
subscribed....for educational purposes!

Hang around, you'll learn that I usually don't know what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
For the stuff you build id take that back and say hey....fix this...

They'd re-do it if I asked them to, no doubt; they're stand up dudes. I'll paint it though, might even spot blast around the rivets and weld up all the rivet heads to stiffen up the frame. I'm also thinking about building some bolt in round tube crossmembers to minimize frame flex/twist. That should make the truck ride/handle better and have a more solid feel. If I paint it I can add the braces later and paint them to match and the texture/sheen will match. Gotta have matching sheen on all the chassis parts! I can also prep the frame myself, spot prime and wetsand it first to get it slick. Then seal the seams and shoot a few coats of paint.

Dang project cars! I keep getting deeper and deeper into this thing!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #118
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

well...what ever it is then...... it seems to be working!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #119
theastronaut

I got the rear bags finished up today. At their minimum design height I'm not sure it'll sit as low as I want for the ride height so I may add two inch blocks to lower it without collapsing the bags under their design height. I definitly don't see how guys are using these bags with cups unless they want a near stock ride height.

Aired up.

Aired out. Should sit slightly lower once the weight of the bed is on the frame

More frame rust.

What's with all that mess on the floor?

Might have something to do with this?

Yep, I decided to box the frame rails. The truck won't ever get finished if I keep heaping more and more on the "to do" list! This will strengthen the frame and make it easier to mount the X member. The front will be boxed up to the steering box but I'll need to figure out a way to keep the crossmember and control arm hardware accessible.

Unfortunately after all that hard work, adding the cardboard plates didn't add as much structural rigidity as I had hoped they would. And after thinking about it more, if they ever got wet they'd lose some of their strength, so I decided I'll have to step up and get 1/8" plate cut to fit and welded in. Better not take any short cuts at this point, right?

I've been researching X member designs and found one that I like. It's got a solid tube as the center section. Round tubing is very strong against torsional twisting so this design should limit frame flex better than an open square shaped design. I'll start a separate thread on X member designs and frame bracing to get more input before I decide on a final design. Also planning on using my tubing roller to arch the main tubes of the X member for more strength.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #120
McMurphy

Since you are not going to use the cardboard, can I have it?
I will run out and get a bottle of Elmers Glue and be in business!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:06 AM   #121
pdxhall

I am really enjoying your build thread and I was an avid follower of your last build. Your attention to detail is amazing and as a person that is also very picky about how things are done, I appreciate that. However, I just have to kinda chuckle when I go back to the start of this build and read how it was going to be different. To quote from page 1, "I wanted to find one to build for myself. I didn't want a show truck like the '65 turned out to be; more of a solid beater that was nice enough to tinker with and drive as found." I had a feeling that this would turn out to be more than that but I'm loving it. Keep up the good work. It gives me inspiration for perfection.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #122
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Since you are not going to use the cardboard, can I have it?
I will run out and get a bottle of Elmers Glue and be in business!!
Man you wouldn't believe the PM's I've got about that cardboard, everybody's wanting it! Fortunately, you were the first to ask so they're all yours! Elmers', now why didn't I think of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I am really enjoying your build thread and I was an avid follower of your last build. Your attention to detail is amazing and as a person that is also very picky about how things are done, I appreciate that. However, I just have to kinda chuckle when I go back to the start of this build and read how it was going to be different. To quote from page 1, "I wanted to find one to build for myself. I didn't want a show truck like the '65 turned out to be; more of a solid beater that was nice enough to tinker with and drive as found." I had a feeling that this would turn out to be more than that but I'm loving it. Keep up the good work. It gives me inspiration for perfection.

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the builds! It's still going to be a daily driver that doesn't get pampered, and I'm still not goint to paint it. I've already had to tell myself that I'm not going to weld the frame plates on flush and grind the welds down like I did the C notches; I'm going to weld them in about a 1/4" deep so I can't get the grinder in there! Hopefully I can make decent enough weld beads so they aren't too hard on the eyes. I was hoping to find a truck that was running and driving but this one came along and was a good price for the condition it was in and the work that had already been done so I didn't want to pass it up. Trucks with bodies this nice just don't exist around here anymore! It is getting deeper than I expected but while it's torn down this far I may as well go ahead and do it right, once, and be done with it. If I didn't do it now, it would be in the back of my head as long as I own it that I should have done it while it was apart and easy to do. It takes longer that way, but once it's done it'll really be "done".

Well, atleast until I get a wild hare to do something else to it...
Old 11-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #123
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Well, atleast until I get a wild hare to do something else to it...
Watch out for those wild hairs. I've got so many in my head they are starting to grow out of my ears...........really.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #124
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Watch out for those wild hairs. I've got so many in my head they are starting to grow out of my ears...........really.
I gotta second this....
And are you sure you are not going to end up like the one fellow here who started to build a shop/parts runner truck, and ended up putting it in car shows??

I know I am going to show mine as a work in progress, though mainly it will be a hauler for my Tempest to the shows.
Something about a 66 trailering a 66 just seems like it will be cool to me

I really enjoy your build threads man; I learn so much from the guys around here like you!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #125
pdxhall

I think the biggest problem I have is reading in the forum. So many good ideas get stuck in my head that I'd like to do it's hard to stay on track with the original plan.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote