The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #101
Bomp

Re: Fixin Dixie - 66 Short Bed Fleetside

Following along.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #102
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Impressive skills MSG.
Thanks RocknRod, learning as I go. This site and its members have been invaluable to me, couldn't get this far without it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Following along.
Hey Bomp, you gave me some great links in post #6 about 3 years ago! Watching the work you do and you truck collection is amazing. Great to have you fellas following me along...I'll try and pick up the pace.

I have been pretty busy but not updating too good. So here is a little of whats been done,Ill post more tomorrow.

So to pick back up, I had decided to cut the door skin up past the handle since that part of the panel had too many rust spots for my liking, so I got the spot weld cutting tool and drilled out the 3 spots holding it on. Then I got the wire wheel aand sander to it and some ospho for the rust and cleaned it up real good, then applied 3 coats of epoxy primer. Then I welded it onto the patch panel door skin. The big dilemma I had was about being able to be able to reach inside and hammer/dolly as I went along to keep it from having the warpage that got me into this mess in the first place.

I wasnt able to cut too high up where the brace is,since the access to hammer/dolly wouldnt be there.Plus it already has support so I notched around it.

Then I applied the Noico vibration dampner and got some clamps out and started surgery. The last pic there shows a profile of the welded patch to the existing door. I was ok with it, but the problem I was having was that the dolly i would need for the location I was welding really needed to be concave and all the ones I have are flat or convex. I can live with it, hopefully the body filler will smooth it out. At least its a better result than what I did the first time in this thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=690647

Ill update more tomorrow!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #103
msg

With the door skin finally on the passenger side, I wanted to hang it and see how it fit. The best way I have found to do this solo is to tape spacers in the inner door jamb..in my case I used some cut off paint sticks about 1/8 inch thick...and I hung it up and used a ratcheting tie down strap in the rear portion to keep it in place.

Once I got the door skin on I measured the length of the base of the door and also measured the length of the patch rocker panel and of course the rocker was too long by 3/8"
So that happy dance I did in post #79 I now take back. I had to do the same shortening task I went through on the driver side. I used the self tapping screws to position the rocker so it lined up right with the door and then hung the front fender to check that its lined up decent. I then welded in the base and a few spots on the ends of the rocker until I get the door off to be able to finish. Still have finessing to do but its fitting now.

Then I got to the cab corner, took 3 self tapping screws to position it so I can take measure out how much I needed to add to what the patch panel didnt come with.

So I took the panel I fabricated in post #68 while working on the driver side from before and welded on the extension, got it epoxy primered up and ready to weld.

Then it was safety check time, the stand I put together has been slowly sagging to the front with all the rolling around and just being plain ole heavy. Plus I dont think keeping it on there for more than a year helps. So I had to get the engine hoist with the wooden rig I put together on and lift the cab up and pullout the stand to add some metal bracing. Now its standing straight.

Now I can get to the cab corner without worrying about it caving in on me.

Lastly I have some things to share I have been stockpiling that I wanted on Dixie.
  1. Deluxe steering wheel
  2. Spare tire mounting bracket
  3. Custom made in the USA AC hardware by Jim! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=725354

I look forward to getting to deal with these one day soon!

Old 06-26-2017, 01:17 AM   #104
msg

Had an amazing weekend, went eastbound an down and got to see Burt Reynolds and cast members tell stories about making the Smokey and The Bandit film during a 40th Anniversary Bandit Run event, plus a fleet of trans ams! Always loved that movie.

Left to right: Fella that played a State Patrol officer, Sister to girl on the right of Burt, The Bandit himself, Woman in blacktop she was the little girl at the beginning of the movie who said "Hey Uncle Bandit!", Hot Pants Hilliard, Jerry Reed's daughter, The guy who owned the hound dog Fred.

Then the next hilight and milestone was finally finishing the worst of the body panel repairs on the cab!!! I got the rear cab corners and the rockers all welded in.

Next there are few minor spots to deal with in the floor and I can move onto planning to get some paint going!! Cant wait.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 AM   #105
flashed

The cab is looking great . I would love to do see the Bandit Run sometime ,wish I still had my Bandit T/A . I plan to sell my 81 T/A in the near future ,tryin g to downsize the herd more .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #106
Vinceg

Looking good! Thanks for posting! Keep up the good work.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #107
msg

Crumby ol photobucket! That stinks, ransom for displaying the pics I have been posting all these years. Using their site was a bad experience enough with all of the ads and pop ups and viruses I bet my computer has from it. I hate to do it, but unless there is another way to update each post from the past I would probably be better off starting an new thread and just upload the pics to this site vs linking out.

As a test on the inserting pics I'll post this pic and ask about holes in the floor.
The 2 large ones left and right of the center hump I assume is for AC drain lines. I do plan to have AC this time so I think those stay,but there are some others I think are supposed to be drain holes as well. Do ya'll keep these or weld them up?

Happy 4th!!!!
Attached Images