The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #76
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Well not much to report as of now...I am waiting on the machine shop to get the motor finished, waiting on the radiator shop to get the radiator rebuilt.

I am still looking for a steering column but do have a couple of leads thanks to Andy
(Classic V6 Gmc's) I have sent them a couple of messages so maybe soon I will be able to find one.

I did get the instrument cluster with gauges last night when I got home...Ill post some pictures of it..It does have a cracked lens but I am replacing that anyways.....Not much if any of the wiring harness came with it but that's ok I was gonna change it anyway...Ill post some pictures of it when I start on on...I read the rebuild thread on how to do it so Im gonna tackle that as well...yall pray for me..lol Lord knows I need it.

Seriously it should be fine.

Gotta do the graduation circuit starting Wednesday so Ill be away from home this weekend..but family comes first......
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #77
Johns 66

Well back at it again...almost. Graduation was extremely nice...I had no idea how these kids are sooo smart...both got several scholarships for academics...So very proud of them.

Went by and picked up the radiator and heater core from the shop. I will say the old radiator core was surely clogged up...not sure if that thing had even been flushed....Several of the rows had calcium deposits built up. So I am relatively sure that it was a good idea to have the cores replaced...They put an aluminum high efficiency 3 core radiator into it......Its pouring down rain now so I cant take any pictures of it but I will tomorrow.

I also went by the hospital ( machine shop) for visiting hours and checked on the patient.....All the prep work has been done...One final polishing of the crank is needed, all the parts have came in and the rods have been attached to the pistons...Heads have been completed....I must say that they look pretty good...those stainless steel valves look pretty awesome sitting in the heads and you can definitely tell that are bigger than the stock ones.....I think this thing is gonna breathe just fine.

I am waiting on a couple of people to get back with me on some parts I need..Sent CaptainFab a PM and another person concerning a steering column.

A couple of things I have ordered are starting to come in now, but am still waiting on the gasket set to get here so I can put the heater box back together and get it painted, then re-installed.

I am trying to get everything done under the hood before I move further...this way once I shut the hood the engine bay will be complete

Anyways here are a few pics from the machine shop......The single cylinder picture id the cylinder that the sleeve was put in...Looks good to me. Matt ( Machine Shop Guy) said that the engine block and all the parts still has to be cleaned again before he will start putting it together.

He did tell me that he had over 8 hrs alone just in the heads, boring them out and building them.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #78
Classic v6 GMC's

Engine parts look good!!
1966 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Custom PB 305 v6 np435
1960 GMC Custom
1968 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Short Bed
1962 K20 Tow truck
1961 GMC Extended Suburban Panel and a few more
Classic v6 GMC's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #79
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's View Post
Engine parts look good!!
Thanks Andy. Matt is taking his time and doing a few little extra things just to make it work more efficient. He has smoothed out the oil galleys under the intake so that the oil will flow more smoothly to the pan.

He is also cleaning the oil ports on the crank to ensure everything is clean...He told me that he has the final polishing on the crank left to do and then he is going to clean all the ports one more time.

I also forgot to mention that he shaved the heads down 20 thousands just to give it a little more compression and horsepower. He said that when he degress the cam in that he will do it in such a way as to get the torgue on the bottom end, especially since he knows what the truck is going to be used for.

I feel pretty confident in his abilities and knowledge at this point...Just cant wait to get it back in.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #80
Johns 66

Well went and played in the sand a little tonight...Got some more things blasted and started working on the instrument cluster....Not sure how that is going to turn out...kinda feel I'm in over my head when it comes to that thing.....but I will see how it goes....
Here are some pictures that I have been meaning to post...first couple are of the radiator with its new high efficiency aluminum core...Radiator shop painted it but I'm thinking I may have to sand it down and repaint...kinda rough for my taste......

As you can see on the heater core is still has the 1966 marking/stamp on one end....think that's pretty cool although no one will ever see it..lol
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #81
Johns 66

Here are some pictures of what I blasted tonight...The first picture is of the grounding straps that were attached to the firewall and valve covers....pretty cool I think.

Next are of the hood latch system...all I did was prime it
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #82
Johns 66

Here are a few pictures of the instrument cluster....Still have some more blasting to do on it to get it clean but this turned out ok.....Ill get the new decals ordered in a few days....Gotta figure out how to test these things to see if they are good or not.....but that will be fine.

Still not sure where the high beams indicator is at this point but I'm sure I will get that figured out as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Johns 66; 05-23-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #83
Johns 66

The last few are of the trim ring primed and a coat of silver metallic...of course rattle canned...It will need another coat but didn't look too bad....

Then I did a little playing on Randy's wall....gotta have a little fun...lol Also known as the rattle can paint booth area..lol I couldn't find where he had the red paint but once I do I can tape it again and spray the red.
Attached Images

Last edited by Johns 66; 05-23-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #84
Johns 66

And heres just a couple of the operating room...Its kinda funny to me that the sign on the way says Chevy Truck Parking Only.

I did contact Captainfab about ordering a brake bosster adapter and power steering plate...Guess I'm gonna get those on the way as well.

I'm thinking that I will have the motor back early next week but want to get the booster installed before I set it back in...just a lot easier to work around...plus I am going to paint the cradle and frame rails with POR 15 before I set the motor back into it so once I'm done I can shut the hood and move to a different area.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #85
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Hey I also have that chevy trucks parking only sign.

Engine and parts are looking good!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #86
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Hey I also have that chevy trucks parking only sign.

Engine and parts are looking good!
Thanks TJ.....

Not a lot gonna happen tonight since its church night...But I have ordered the power brake booster and power steering bracket from CaptainFab ( Thanks John) So I am sure it will be on its way shortly.

Im going to sit down in the next day or so and make a list of all that I want to do, parts that I think I am going to need to get this thing back on the road. That way I can kinda keep things organized a little in my mind of what I am going to do and how to try and accomplish it.

Mainly right now I am focusing on the engine bay etc...but do find myself wandering to the cab, paint, wheels and tires etc...lol

I think the main thing is to get it running again, where I can drive it and then do little projects like power steering, etc...on the weekends and not tie up Randys shop too long.

Speaking of wheels I did look at some and like the look of the Torg Thrust wheels...Only issue I see is that they do not come 6 lug...or at least the ones I looked at didn't...I was considering 18x9s...The truck currently has 15's on it with 275/60/15...real wide tires and a decent set of wheels...not my taste but still decent. I think it would cost a lot of money to change over to 5 lugs and if I was gonna do that I might as well put discs on it....even MORE money.

Im still looking for an automatic steering column so if ya see one lemme know. I have sent a couple of PM's to some members here...maybe someone will have one laying around that I can get...time will tell
Old 05-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #87
Johns 66

Well motor can be picked up on Tuesday...The machine shop closed today and Monday...cant say that I blame them one single bit.

I also got the paint code for the engine from Yelmer....So Ill try to see if I can get some mixed up so I can get the ole motor painted up....yep its gonna be green...Don't really like green but I guess Chevy thought it was a good color and that's fine by me. Hopefully they can mix it around here...if not Mike said he would get me some mixed up and send it to me which is so cool of him to do.

So looks like I can relax a little bit this weekend and just piddle around on some small things.

Hope you all have a Happy Memorial Day....Being a Former Marine Myself.....I truly understand what this day means.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #88
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Some nice work you are doing on your truck.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #89
Prflyer1

Great find and even better work! I absolutely love those valve covers with the vintage Chevrolet name on them!! subscribed

My 66 C10 fun build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=738705
Prflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #90
Johns 66

Well motor has been assembled!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to the machine shop to pick it up and the Good Lord decided I shouldn't bring it home today because it started pouring down rain...so I decided not to risk filling a freshly built motor with rain water...So I left it.

They also drill and tapped the crank shaft to allow a bolt and washer for the harmonic balancer....I guess it was just pressed on originally but the added safety measure was worth it. The also milled the facing of the exhaust to make them flat again.

As you can also see they couldn't find the original color in rattle can...Imagine that..Neither could I...lol so they painted it high temp black...Fine by me...Its getting painted that wonderful puke green color ( Thanks Yelmer for the paint code) .....Went by the paint store and got the paint, plus some PO15....Boy that POR 15 stuff is EXPENSIVE....40.00 a quart...WOW.

Am waiting on the brake booster adapter from Captainfab...hopefully it will arrive this week so I can get the brake lines done up.

I bought me some foam brushed to paint the frame with the POR 15...I sure hope a quart goes a long way..lol......

I am going to attempt to paint the motor....never have done that before unless it was rattle can...this is a 8 to 1 to 1 mix so we will see how that goes.

Anyways here are a few pics...and yes I did check the casting numbers....its the original block and heads...albeit with bigger valves.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #91
rsd66C20

Your truck/engine is looking awesome!!! Congrats on jumping into the deep end with all this. A couple of suggestions.

On the POR-15......the can will "weld" itself shut if you get the POR-15 on the edges while pouring, and put the cap back on. Try to avoid getting any POR-15 into the edges. The POR-15 goes a long way compared to regular paint.

I get a bunch of cheapy turkey basters, and transfer a smaller amount to a temporary container (soda can, plastic cup, etc)....with just the right amount that you will consume during that usage. I've also tried using saran wrap between top and the can....and it kind of works. This aids in getting the top off later, though you need to make sure it has a good seal.

Also, after you paint the engine, I'd suggest using a tap, and chasing out all of the bolt holes. It takes a little time, but makes like a lot easier in the years to come. I use a little motor oil on the taps while chasing.

A number of threads back, you mentioned the staples in the radiator siding pieces. LMC sells these replacement rubber pieces. I actually made my own staples by buying the same diameter steel wire (that comes in rolls) from the local hardware store. It was actually pretty easy, to align up the rubber pieces with the original staple holes, and "make" the staples.
rsd66C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #92
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd66C20 View Post
Your truck/engine is looking awesome!!! Congrats on jumping into the deep end with all this. A couple of suggestions.

On the POR-15......the can will "weld" itself shut if you get the POR-15 on the edges while pouring, and put the cap back on. Try to avoid getting any POR-15 into the edges. The POR-15 goes a long way compared to regular paint.

I get a bunch of cheapy turkey basters, and transfer a smaller amount to a temporary container (soda can, plastic cup, etc)....with just the right amount that you will consume during that usage. I've also tried using saran wrap between top and the can....and it kind of works. This aids in getting the top off later, though you need to make sure it has a good seal.

Also, after you paint the engine, I'd suggest using a tap, and chasing out all of the bolt holes. It takes a little time, but makes like a lot easier in the years to come. I use a little motor oil on the taps while chasing.

A number of threads back, you mentioned the staples in the radiator siding pieces. LMC sells these replacement rubber pieces. I actually made my own staples by buying the same diameter steel wire (that comes in rolls) from the local hardware store. It was actually pretty easy, to align up the rubber pieces with the original staple holes, and "make" the staples.
Thanks RSD for the wise advise, especially on the POR 15...I will definitely use the ole turkey baster method to transfer the paint. I plan on painting the frame, front cross member, and suspension parts this way...Im not really sure how this is gonna turn out since I am not taking all of this apart. Plus I have never sprayed auto paint before or even mixed it for that matter but Im sure gonna give it a try....worst thing that could happen is it looks like garbage and Ill never open the hood...LOL I have to remind myself that this is going to be a driver truck and not a show quality vehicle, while I want it to look nice...I understand that it will have some flaws....just like I do.

It is easy to get caught up in "modifying" these vehicles and street rodding them.....I have been there and done that..Unfortunately there are not too many trust worthy shops that do this...My 63 C10 Stepside turned into a 10 yr nightmare and cost me a truckload of money.....This will not turn into that.....especially since I am doing the majority of the work myself...The only thing that I am going to pay to have done is to have it painted once I am done mechanically.

Matt from the machine shop gave me the break in instructions when I finally get to that point and I have to fight myself not to rush what needs to be done first before just sticking the motor in to hear it run.

Im figuring in a couple of weeks I will get to set it back in and fire it up....Waiting on brake booster adapter right now, along with the gasket set for the heater box, firewall grommets etc.....Once I get entire engine bay finished I will then work on the interior part...mainly the fuel system....have to make sure the tank is cleaned. I was told by Mike that this truck came with 2 options for tanks..and I have the smaller tank..I am considering putting the 24 gallon tank back behind the seat.......I know this is an open debate when it comes to gas tank placement and depending on what day of the week it is I go back and forth but Im leaving the tank behind the seat.

Randy is getting all the parts together to build the 700R4 right now so that should happen in a few days....

My HOPES are that I will get to drive it 4th of July weekend.....I don't think that is unrealistic at this point.

The funny thing is I started making a list of things Im gonna need to get it back running....boy was I naïve in my thinking..lol there is a lot of stuff still yet to buy...plugs, oil, antifreeze, waterpump, flywheel, starter, wires.....and the list goes on.....

I have decided that once I get it running and am realtively sure the little bugs are worked out then I will put the power steering on...kinda like a weekend project......Not a lot will get done today since its church night....gonna sure pray for some wisdom tonight....but I am one step closer....gotta love the journey as much as the destination
Old 06-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #93
Johns 66

Well opened up the old rattle can paint booth again tonight and sprayed just a few parts to see how they were gonna come out...I used a purple scotch bright pad to sand down the primer and they few parts I did turned out pretty good.

I know you can see my super secret paint holding apparatus that I use in the rattle can paint booth...lol I know I know...but cant keep secrets forever...lol
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 PM   #94
Johns 66

So after spraying these I decided to get some POR 15 on the engine bay area. I will say that I really wished they made this stuff in rattle can because it would be SOOOO much easier to apply....but NOOOOO they haven't done that as of yet...lol So I used a foam type brush to apply it.......Lets just say that its not my favorite method to apply this stuff...And on the wise advise I used everything I poured out so that is why you will see some areas that look unfinished....cause they are......I am thinking that these areas will need another coat but it doesn't look too bad...I have to remind myself I am gonna drive this truck because the urge to rip everything apart and make it perfect as I can get it still gnaws at me. But here are some pics of what I got done tonight after work.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #95
Johns 66

And here are a few more...These pictures were taken when some of it was wet and some semi dried...I am hoping it kinda evens out after it dries tonight....I am thinking that a little scuffing before the nest coat will kinda smooth it out....but I can always use this as a base layer and rattle can it once the POR 15 dries and sets.

Also got a PM from Capatainfab and my brake booster adapter should either be here Saturday or Monday....

Still looking for an auto steering column...I'm sure one will come up soon.....least I hope so.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #96
Classic v6 GMC's

Engine bay and parts are looking good.
1966 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Custom PB 305 v6 np435
1960 GMC Custom
1968 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Short Bed
1962 K20 Tow truck
1961 GMC Extended Suburban Panel and a few more
Classic v6 GMC's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #97
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's View Post
Engine bay and parts are looking good.
Thanks Andy...Little by little its coming together.....Will be interested to see the frame once I get the top coat put on it....Im hoping that its gonna look really good once Im done.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #98
Johns 66

Well another day in the shop working on things...it was a good day, bad day type of thing. Disclaimer: You really need to know what you are doing when you try things...case and point....Alternator!!!!

I had this grand idea that I was going to get the alternator clean...I found out that the alternator was simply the color of the cast metal so I could sand blast it in the cabinet and make it look all new again...well that was the plan.

If you have no idea how an alternator comes apart...best leave it to the professionals...lol and I aint no professional alternator taker aparter....as you will soon see....I will be enlisting the help of one of those professional people early next week.

These pictures were the ones I was going to use to put it back together...so good soo far
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #99
Johns 66

Then it went horribly wrong...See I learned that a wrench it better than a little hand help drill....cause once you get the nut loose the ole wire that is attached to it will wrap around the bit and totally ruin the coil wires as you can see.....But the case is clean..lol

I am hoping that a local shop can rebuild this thing...if not Ill just have to get a replacement...I took a picture of the number on the case and was gonna see if it was the original one......but I will find out more about getting it either fixed or replaced next week...Live and learn.....
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #100
Johns 66

So lesson learned not to fool with anything you know nothing about.

I did get a coat of rattle can on the engine bay frame and it turned out ok...I used high gloss and think that I am going to spray it again with either semi or satin...high gloss just shows way to many flaws.
Attached Images