The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2017, 10:10 PM   #101
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

I did open the spray booth and got some things painted up. I also received mu brake booster adapter from Captain fab( Thanks John)

I test fit it to the firewall and then to the brake booster....I thought I was gonna have to make the holes a little bigger but it fit perfectly without any mods....So I got a coat of primer and the 2 coats of black on it....looks pretty good......

I also blasted the water pump...and now that I think about it I may just go ahead and get a new one....I thoroughly cleaned it but can you really ever clean it enough to ensure all of the sand is out of it...Not sure I want to risk it ally with the new motor
Attached Images

Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #102
Johns 66

So all in all it was a pretty good day...got a lot of little things done...learned a good lesson concerning the alternator....
Now that I have the brake booster bracket I can now install the booster and get the lines run.....after that I am going to remove the gas tank and see what the inside looks like....I read somewhere that I can put a 24 gallon tank behind the seat and I think I have seen one on one of the many websites I have looked at over the past several weeks...so if this one is corroded then I ll replace it and run anew fuel line....might as well ensure no crude gets in the newly built carb while I am at it.

It starting to come together slowly but surely...Still waiting on the gasket set to build the heater box....not sure what the hold up is on that but will check next week on that.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #103
Prflyer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
So all in all it was a pretty good day...got a lot of little things done...learned a good lesson concerning the alternator....
Now that I have the brake booster bracket I can now install the booster and get the lines run.....after that I am going to remove the gas tank and see what the inside looks like....I read somewhere that I can put a 24 gallon tank behind the seat and I think I have seen one on one of the many websites I have looked at over the past several weeks...so if this one is corroded then I ll replace it and run anew fuel line....might as well ensure no crude gets in the newly built carb while I am at it.

It starting to come together slowly but surely...Still waiting on the gasket set to build the heater box....not sure what the hold up is on that but will check next week on that.

Great build, subscribed, got the popcorn ready to learn

My 66 C10 fun build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=738705
Prflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 AM   #104
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Glad to hear the package made it today....the booster bracket looks good

Yeah I took an alternator apart once.....about 40 years ago. Since that time the most I will do is remove the bolts so it can be clocked differently when needed. Otherwise I just go buy a used, new or rebuilt alternator.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #105
rsd66C20

I believe I read somewhere on this site that the original engine compartment color was black satin. I did the my engine compartment with POR-15, and the satin looks pretty good.

Any update on the your 700R4? I've just gotten mine mounted, but not running yet. Would be interested in your experience in getting it operational. I bought mine from Bowtie Overdrive....you may want to download their installation manual for all of TV setup, and pre-drive checks.
rsd66C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #106
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd66C20 View Post
I believe I read somewhere on this site that the original engine compartment color was black satin. I did the my engine compartment with POR-15, and the satin looks pretty good.

Any update on the your 700R4? I've just gotten mine mounted, but not running yet. Would be interested in your experience in getting it operational. I bought mine from Bowtie Overdrive....you may want to download their installation manual for all of TV setup, and pre-drive checks.
After the Por 15 I rattle canned it with high gloss and didn't like it at all, I then re-sprayed it rattle can with satin and it looks much better. Especially since I didn't take everything apart, smooth it out with body filler etc....

I have been gone for a week fishing...yeah I know but you gotta take a li time away...Went to Lake Fork, Texas to fish. Had a great time....but not much was done on the truck. Have a family gathering this weekend but am gonna get on it full bore next week.

My brother in law, Randy, builds transmissions for a living so he is building me a 700R4 to save me some money, which is always good...last one he built for me was in an 85 chevy pickup...had over 500k miles on it and still going strong.

I am hoping by next weekend that the motor and tranny will be set in it and ready to fire it up.....but am STILL waiting on the gasket set for the heater so I can put it back together......
Old 06-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #107
Johns 66

Well its been a few days since I have posted anything on he ole truck...took a little fishing trip to Lake Fork Tx...had a great time.....
BUT not time for some pictures of things that I have gotten done over the past few days.

Finally got the gasket set for the heater and put it back together...YAY!!!!

Sprayed the manifolds in the ole rattle can spray booth what I thought was an aluminum color......seems odd looking to me but will put it on the motor and see how it looks.

Got the power brake booster installed and the brake lines ran......I will paint he master cylinder in the coming days...mainly been working on the motor.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #108
Johns 66

I did get my grommet set in and have installed a few of them already, I was trying to get the windshield washer motor changed and of course the great parts place sent me the wrong one so now I have to try and get it exchanged.

I did get the motor ready tonight to paint...got everything smoothed down and a good coat of primer.....Plan on trying to spray it Tuesday after work, but I gotta buy some parts before I do that.

I am buying a new water pump instead of using the old one...think that is wise. I tried to figure out how to run the wires tonight and think I have a pretty good plan on how I am going to run them....Yelmer sent me some pictures of his motor so it gives me a good reference of what should be painted what color.

Ill run to the parts house tomorrow to get all the needed supplies to make the motor run...oil, antifreeze plus, wires etc.....sure that's gonna be a pretty penny but hey...its all good
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #109
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Some good progress.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #110
Johns 66

Well Sports Fans FINALLY got to put some color on the motor....Today was a pretty day..NO RAIN and I was able to get the motor sprayed. This is the first time I have ever painted something with a spray gun and not rattle can. It was actually not too bad once I figured out how to mix the paint....I just sprayed thin coats until I got it where I kinda liked it. After I got done, cleaned up the gun I did find one light spot but I think it will be ok since the Harmonic balancer will cover it up... you can see it in the last picture...not too noticeable but none the less I still see it.

The funny thing is that Depending on what direction you are looking at it and the light source depends on what color it appears to be,,,,It looks darker a little bit in person...guess the pictures make it look lighter
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #111
Johns 66

Now here is where I am gonna try something......Hopefully it will come out as good as it looks in my mind.

So here is what I am thinking about...The motor does have some black on it, air cleaner a couple of brackets etc.....So in my redneck mind the valve covers while they look good do look a little bland all green so I am going to attempt the paint the script Chevrolet letters on the valve cover black...I am really unsure how I am going to accomplish this as of now.....I thought about getting a paint pen and trying that or a small brush and trying it by hand. But if I can pull it off I think it will look good...I know its not original ...But is should have been ..lol

Don't think I have the patience to try and tape the script off...will just have to see
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #112
Classic v6 GMC's

You are making nice progress. Engine looks great and I think the painted script on the valve covers would be a nice touch.
1966 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Custom PB 305 v6 np435
1960 GMC Custom
1968 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Short Bed
1962 K20 Tow truck
1961 GMC Extended Suburban Panel and a few more
Classic v6 GMC's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:21 PM   #113
Bomp

Motor looks great to me.
I've seen script painted with fine tipped brushes.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #114
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Looks good

I would run a piece of tape along the bottom edge since it is straight. This will give you a place to run your brush off of when coming from each letter.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #115
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Like that color! Looks just like the paint I used on my gmc v6!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #116
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's View Post
You are making nice progress. Engine looks great and I think the painted script on the valve covers would be a nice touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Motor looks great to me.
I've seen script painted with fine tipped brushes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Looks good

I would run a piece of tape along the bottom edge since it is straight. This will give you a place to run your brush off of when coming from each letter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Like that color! Looks just like the paint I used on my gmc v6!
Thanks Yall so very much....The paint came out pretty good, especially since it was the first time I had sprayed something that wasn't rattle can..lol

I have to thank Mike Remley ( Yelmer) for giving me the correct paint color...Its hard to tell if its the exact color since it was mixed in 2 different states but its really close in my mind

More pics to follow from todays efforts
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #117
Johns 66

Well today my intent was to set the motor back in the truck..notice I said intent...Little did I know that I own a Super Rare truck that no one carries parts for....those super secret parts like MOTOR MOUNTS..>Really no one carries motor mounts these days....So kinda hard to set the motor back in with no motor mounts.

Mike sent me some pictutres of his motor for reference and has been great at helping me with some of the harder parts that I need like the water pump bypass hose fitting which is an 87 degree fitting and things like that...Ironically no one at any parts store locally has a clue about anything that does not come up on their computer screen.

Tomorrow I am going to Summitt Racing in Atlanta in hope of finding some of tehse super rare parts ( motor mounts) plug wires etc....hopefully my trip will be worth its since its about 2 hrs from me.

So I decided to paint the script after I put everything on the motor I could. The results were mixed and I'm unsure if I will keep them as they are or sand it down and start over...I know its not a show truck and I'm gonna drive it but I do want it to look right when the hood is opened.

So the first couple of pics are my hand with a brush and paint...I tried to use a paint pen at first and that simply wasn't working...so I tried a brush...lets just say that my hand is not as steady as it once was.....After that I decided to try and tape the script off and spray it with rattle can paint....It turned out ok...if you can call it that put it was thicker than the other side and some did run under the tape.....

So my choices are to leave it be, try and tape the side I didn't to make them match a little better or simple blast them clean again and start over......but anyways here are some pics of what I did today.....
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #118
Johns 66

I did get everything I had for the motor on it, plugs manifolds, fan, alternator, belt...Carb was just sat on there to see how it would look....distributor was set in place since the first piston was TDC. I did fool around with some of the wiring today and realized that it has been modified from original since an HEI distributor was installed...I'm gonna get some acetone and clean the wires, re-tape them and make them look a little more presentable, fix some areas that need to soldered and heat shrink placed on the.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #119
62stepside longbox

Engine is looking great!
my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #120
Johns 66

Well I got to a stopping point and had to sit down and order parts..I went to Summit Racing in Atlanta and got a few things but was really disappointed that I couldn't find the things I needed..Summit has a lot of "Pretty" stuff but not what I needed.

I was able to find the water pump bypass fitting on Ebay from a very nice man...I was also able to get the GM part number for it and a place to buy them if anyone needs that part...Ironically it goes on a 63-68 Corvette but its the same fitting that cam on the truck...

So yesterday I ordered a BUNCH of stuff from LMC, American Classic Trucks, and Del City..Del City sells electrical supplies.

I did order a new gas tank and sender while I was at it....It is a 24 gallon tank that fits behind the seat...like I said earlier I plan on driving this truck so 24 gallons means I will be able to cruise for awhile.

The other issue I am having is finding a good 700R4 core for Randy to build...we found 3 so far but the cases were bad and not rebuildable.

My plan now is to get the motor set back in this weekend and get the engine bay buttoned up until I can get the tranny etc..installed and here my baby run.

Im still contemplating redoing the valve covers...gotta figure out a good way to do them so they look good.....

AND of course am still looking for an original steering column...I have learned that a C20 would be a perfect fit especially for the tranny I am using but at this point as long as it is an original steering column I will make it work...maybe soon I will find one.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #121
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

YOLO did have a column
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741636
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #122
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Thanks D...I got ahold of YOLO but it was not an automatic column, he has a floor shift automatic in his truck.....so I didn't get that one. Next post will explain more.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #123
Johns 66

Well Boys and Girls it is funny how life works sometimes....I contacted YOLO about a steering column he has and was thought to be an automatic steering column but it turned out not to be so I was kinda bummed out....

I have been talking to another forum member for months about a steering column....GMCNUT ( Steve) who coincidentally lives in Alabama...So after I found out that YOLOs wasn't what I needed I texted ole Steve on the off chance he may have one......

Low and behold he had one....After work I drove about 2 hrs to his place, still skeptical UNTIL I arrived....Yes Sir...I now have a 1966 Automatic Steering Column...It is for a power glide but I think I can make it work...don't really care about low anyways...long as it will go in drive I am good to go...pictures aren't that great since I took them when I got home but you get the drift......

ALSO I was able to get a new cluster that has the original factory tach in it...Super Pumped about that......So here are some pictures of what I got.

I was also able to upgrade my radiator baffles..Steve was very gracious to me....Super nice guy and very knowledgeable...If you are looking for original parts...chances are Steve has them
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2017, 11:26 PM   #124
Johns 66

While I was t Steves I did hae a chance to check out his collections of trucks and parts...he has a ton of stuff and also has some pretty rare parts, and I mean rare parts...he has a lot of NOS parts and I was amazed at what he had,,,,Although he wasn't willing to sell the NOS stuff it was still neat to see original unmolested parts...brand new 1966 stuff

The trucks below are all original trucks. The key thing about these trucks are they are pretty rare. Each truck is highly equipped...Factory Auto, Power Steering, Brakes, A/C etc...you get the drift....I had never seen a trucks like this.....He also has I think a 58 or 59 Double Deluxe truck......he drives daily.....all original...and no he wouldn't sell it either..lol I tried

So Enjoy
1966 GMC
1961 Chevy C10
and the Apache

He had several more but these were the main ones that I liked.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #125
Johns 66

Well back in the ole garage today....Today was a day with big intentions but ended with a reminder that this truck is 51 years old....and anything 51 yrs old is not gonna be perfect...

So first for the good part of the day...I got the newly acquired automatic steering column installed....went a lot better than I thought...while the main shaft is fastened the steering wheel was just set on there for pictures......I think it is gonna work out just fine....of course it will need to be painted but that is for a later time.
Attached Images