The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
msaintg

help wiring headlight switch

I purchased a factory original style headlight swtich (12v) that I want to use, but it did not come with any wiring diagrams. I hooked up the 'bat', 'headlight' and 'running' light wires no problem, but I don't know what to connect to the 'Aux' terminal... (is that for 12v in or 12v out to an accessary?) I have no idea how to hook up the wires for the dash dimmer either. My S10 dimmer switch has 4 wires connected to it (I identified one that changes voltage when adjusted), but the original style only has two hookups (neither change voltage when the knob is rotated) Does anyone have a schematic that they can post for the original headlight switch?

thanks,
mike
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
jed971959

Re: help wiring headlight switch

build is looking good do you still need the headlight switch wiring
if you do I think I may have it from when I checked my switch to wire the headlights
jim
jed971959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
msaintg

thanks, I am glad it is in the home stretch. Now to wait for it to cool off to start going to the local car shows

yes I do. I found 3 different diagrams online for the original switch, but mine does not look like that. I did figure out that I don't need the 'aux' post (it is extra 'hot' going out from the switch).

I am also still trying to figure out what I did to mess up my headlights. Seams like I messed up the daytime running light circuit (lights don't come on during the day now, and one headlight is dim when I turn the lights on)
Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
jed971959

do you have a wiring diagram for blazer headlights and running lights
I had the wiring diagrams but last week my computer harddrive crashed and everythings gone
but I can ask my brother if he has a copy if you need it
jim
Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
T Hilde

the dim headlight might be a poor ground
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
msaintg

yes, I have the wiring diagram for the S10, but I don't know how to cross reference the 4 wires from the S10 dimmer switch to the truck headlight 'dimmer' wires.

I know it is not a bad ground. the passenger side headlight is grouned, while the drivers side 'ground' runs through the daytime running light module.... that is where I am lost. I don't really want the daytime running lights, but I don't know how to remove all that stuff from the circuit.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
jed971959

are you using the trucks dimmer switch on the floor and the headlight switch in the dash with sealed beam headlights or bulbs
on my truck I used the org headlight switch ,dimmer switch with 2 relays to power the headlights (1 for low beam-1for high beam to keep load down through the switch) I don't used anything from the jimmy
the old truck had the headlights powered from headlight switch 1 wire to dimmer switch -dimmer has the power wire from switch ,low ,high beam wire. low beam wire to headlights, high beam wire to headlights and high beam light in dash
jim
Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
msaintg

No, I didn't use any of the old truck electical. I used 100% of the S10 wiring, switches and gauges. (high beams operate from the directional switch control). I can only find a wiring diagram for 'sealed' beams, yet I obviously wired them into standard bulb headlights. I will take a pic of my new headlight switch and post that to see if anyone has any insights.

thanks,
PS, sorry guys for posting this in the wrong section.