The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #151
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Well, it's been a week, so it's about time for an update. Pics will come tomorrow, with hopefully more progress.

The suspension is on hold until I finish up the back half of the car. There's no use making things harder on myself, and halfassing things more than I already am.

I got the frame rails bent and welded in, and am now in the process of minitubbing to the frame rails. I removed the drivers side wheel tub, or what was left of it, only to realize that to continue, I have to fix the rear quarter due to the integration of the wheel tubs. Oh goody!

So, I'll start on that tomorrow. I have some tricks up my sleeves, since I'm too poor to buy brand new replacement parts, and too young to care right now. I'll see if I can't make something work and look acceptable.

And that's where she stands right now. I'm on spring break for a week, so I should be able to really crank on some progress and get going with the ol' girl. Theres a few deadlines I'd like to make and have the car back together in it's glory for, but it's only a few months away. I guess we'll see how the pennys stack up in the end..

So, I'll keep you posted!

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #152
threeonthetree

Sam had to stop by to see what you where up to.
keep us posted on the progress you make this week.
remember its a fun project.
just keep at her
cant wait to see some progress pics.

1969 c10 AKA SIN

1985 SSWB TRAZER
(super short wheel base)
threeonthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #153
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I'll try to get some pics up if I can finish a few welds on the door jamb. Things have been going pretty slow - my spring break went way too fast, and now I'm playing catch up on homework. Plus I got a job, which will cut down on the time i can work on the car, but will also enable me to buy more parts. So it'll all about pan out in the end.

She'll be on the road before I know it...I hope. haha.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #154
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Well folks, there has been absolutely no progress so far on the car.

My job has taken away alot of my free time, but, it gives me some money to play with. So, we'll see how that all works out, eh? Enterprise Rent-a-Car, wooboy!

Here are a fews pics to hold you over tho.

The inner wheel housing after I hacked it out. I have to tub out to the frame rail to ensure I have enough room for tires. Plus, if I'm gonna go through the toruble for a "performance" rear suspension, i might as well take advantage of it with my tires, eh?

And thats where I ended, since the sheetmetal adjoining the wheel well is shot. Which connects to the sheet metal adjoining the door, which is shot. Which hooks to the sheetmetal for the door jamb, which is shot...you get the picture. Talk about a snowball.

However, have no fears. Because this car won't be perfect. I wouldn't want it to be perfect. Would you push a showroom condition perfect around a backroad corner? Tires smoking and fronts counter steering? Hell No. Would you stop light race and head out to a straight sretch in potato field with a perfect car? Probably not. I'm too young to have a perfect car. Cripes, it's just a car - a hunk of metal. It only has the value we give it, and they are much more valuable when I'm not afraid to drive the damn thing. But, alas, this is but one young gearheads opinion. That's the way I plan to build any car I own.

This brings me to paint. I plan on using tractor paint. Why? Because it's less than 50 bucks a gallon, and if done right, will last as long as I want it to. My truck has held up well enough, all things considered. So, if I use a better quality paint, and dont let it sit outside all year round in sun and snow, it should hold up a lot better, right? Right.

Thus, considering Allis Chalmers Orange:

That color, coupled with satin black accents, such as the sides of a cowl hood, are the tenative plan. Opinions and thoughts are always appreciated.

Which brings me to my tricks. While wandering out back, I stumbled upon this old IH truck bed. Must be mid 60's.

I had been considering how to bend metal to form the part of a body line that ran along the lower part of my car. it's basically a sharp break followed by a gentle curve. Lo and behold:

Hey now. That's pretty gosh darn close. The little piece of rusted metal is from that same lower body line. So, close enough in my book, that it'll do for this lower body line. So, we'll just use some chunks for patch and see how it goes, eh?

That's where she sits as of now. I'm hoping to get back at 'er, so don't worry. Things'll pan out yet!

-Sam.

Quote:

Last edited by samwise68; 04-18-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #155
Jvsapp

looks good sam. im contemplating a V8 swap in mine. found a vacuum leak that was causing some issues so now i might be able to drive it now.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #156
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Glad to hear you got that leak sorted out Jvsapp, you're planning a 283, right?

And a bit of an update, I'm acutally making progress. Completely fabricating the door jamb, but it's just about finished, and then on to the quarter panels. I have some pics, I just need to upload them soon.

It's just bits and pieces of metal, welded together so it looks almost like it would've stock. Close enough for this ol' boy.

Pics are coming!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #157
samwise68
FarmBoy.

As promised - pics. I know, I'm lagging with progress...But, whatcha gonna do? haha.

It's pretty ugly right now, but I think after I knock down the beads and just clean up the spatter, it won't be too bad looking. And, the best part is, is that it's solid and clean metal.

Perfect? Nope. And I'm ok with that.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #158
Jvsapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post
Glad to hear you got that leak sorted out Jvsapp, you're planning a 283, right?

-Sam.
actually i scored a 350 that looks like a fresh rebuild. i'm probably just going to swap the cam and stab it in. i just have to find time to do everything.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #159
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I may be going the same route as you, my friend.

I was offered a 350 for $700. it's bored 30 over, keith black pistons, stock heads with 1.94 valves (since camel humps were illegal), cam, ran on a 50/50 mix of turbo blue and 110 (but that could just be a precaution due to racing. I'll be sure to cc everything if I get it)...it was in a street stock/bomber race car. My cousin put about 3 races on it after the build up, and then got out of racing.

So, it's a helluva deal, in my opinion. All I'd need is an intake, carb, and headers, which I have a lead on all three for little or nothing at the moment. There's just no way I can build a six cylinder for that price at this time - atleast not the way I want to. WHEN I build a six, it's going to be done up right, but until then...this small block should be healthy enough, should I decide to go that route.

As far as updates, I'm working on panel replacements now. School just wrapped up, so now I'm free for the summer at night, so I better get quite a bit more done! I've got a time line to keep! haha.

But in all seriousness, it's working out I think. Things are slowly falling into place, and as soon as my rust repairs speed up, I'll be doing fine.

So, I'll try to get some pics as things get going. I make no promises, but hopefully.

And as always, lemme know whatcha think. Especially about the motor!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #160
kyull67

any updates?
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #161
Jvsapp

i say i race you to get the 350 in. i have one, and debating if im gonna do it as well. wanted to stick the 283 in, but the 350 i got was a song. $100 looks like a fresh rebuild. all i'll need is a decent cam on mine and should be ready to rock. i just need 3 hrs more a day and maybe 2 days more a week and then i can do everything else i need to.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #162
ChaseDale3and8

Great project! If you're still looking for color suggestions, how about Lemans Blue? Looks good on those! ...Joe

Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #163
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I'm not gonna lie to you guys...there's been no progess. I threw the rear suspension together enough to move the ol' girl, because my dad said something baout it taking up room in the garage. So, she got moved to the other side. The good thing is, is that the rear suspension goes in as easy as I remember. The bad news is, is it should really be moved back a couple of inches to accomodate some bigger tires - currently, i'm rubbing rocker. But, that's easy enough to take care of.

My job has been taking up most of my free time (Yes, a job! Who woulda thunk it??) However, it means I have money. Well, a little, so I can actually consider buying proper replacement panels. So, that's where we're at now. Eye-ing up panels and trying to find some 2x3 tubing, or there abouts, to fabricate some stiffer frame rails. After that....well, let's worry about that when the time gets here. haha.

Jvsapp - pretty sure you'll beat me to the 350 install. :P I still have to squirrel away enough money to drag it home. However, I do have a line on a 4 speed within walking distance. So, that's a plus.

Other than that, considering buying a bike. Looking at a harley sporster, late 80's early 90]s...something with an evo so I don't have to deal with an iron head. But, that's a bit of a pipe dream, and will most likely wait until next summer. I'd rather have my car together and thrash on that than have a bike currently. Or, atleast today that's what I'd rather have. haha.

So, yes. That's about it guys. My apologies for the long hiatus. It's ridiculous, I know. But we'll be back in business in no time, I promise ya!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #164
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have metal. Let the butchering begin. Bwahaha....

Updates coming son!

Quote:
Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #165
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

All right!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #166
shahramkel

Cool, looking forward to see how it all comes together. Funny, I just bought a 69 gmc long bed, and have always wanted a 66 or 67 nova. So it's pretty interesting to see how you work with them.
shahramkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #167
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Alright, because I don't want to be called a liar, I finally have some progress and pics to post! Shocking, I know! My apologies for the delay- haying season is upon us, and this damn thing called a job just keeps getting in the way. Sheesh!

Ok, pics.

Unbolted the suspension from the crossmember after I did some measuring and got that tacked into place.

Cut out the last bit of floor pan I had left. I'll try to salvage this as much as possible, since it has the clips for the rear seat bottom. We'll see how that works out, though.

Lack of suspension.

Lack of..well...everything.

Starting with the measuring and tracing...Drafting was enver my forte, hah.

The cut out paper pattern matching the wooden pattern I fabbed up to get the measurements for the frame rails.

I now have the 2 pieces of tubing tacked together, in hopes of keeping it all symetrical. I also have the lines laid out, ready to cut the angles out, bend at the appropriate places, and tack together.

After I deem the new rails are appropriate, I'll bolt them to the sub frame connectors and start surgery on getting them to fit snuggly with whats left of the car. This will invlove alot of bracing and massaging, but ultimately the old frame rails will be cut out, and *hopefully* the car doesn't fall apart.

So, that's where it sits now. Hopefully by the weekend I can get a bit more done on the old girl. Soon, I'll be ordering full rear quarters for it, and that might be about the biggest purchase mail order for it.

and just for inspiration:

And that's about it. I'll be sure to keep you posted. Huzzah!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #168
Jvsapp

bump for updates :P
Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #169
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Jeepers, I've been slacking.

Ever have those days where you try to take a step forward, but end up taking 3 steps back? Or, in my case, about 7 months worth of steps back? Haha...

Ah well. It's better off.

Due to these:

I did this:

Yup. I hacked it all up. There is officially nothing left, but a shell. So now the real fun begins.

I have my new rear frame rails bent, now just to final adjust and weld them up solid. They slide over the ends of the subframe connectors, and essentially form a back half for the car. A bit more than I anticipated getting into...to say the least.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #170
Jvsapp

sweet! progress! it's getting more attention than my bucket. i haven't touched mine in over a year. i just have too many small things in the way. i did however score a 355 from a friend for $1k with a T5 trans. XE274 cam, pocket ported heads, roller rockers, hardened pushrods, valve train gridle. motor used to push a camaro through the traps in the 14's with 2:73 gears. it should find a nice home inside my nova ......... if i ever find time to do it.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #171
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Oh man..that is a healthy mill! Your nova will definitely scoot, haha. You won't know what to do with all that power, compared to our beloved 6.

I'm hoping I can get some more done this week. But, that's a pipe dream in the works in and of itself. Lol. Oh well, I figure why try to work with substandard rust..erm, i mean metal..when i can just cut it out and make it how I want it to be?

So, don't worry. More pics will follow soon, and I'll see if I can't get this ol' girl back together a bit.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #172
TonyC66

Good choice for a project man.. loking good.

Here is a picture of my Chevy II:
Attached Images

TonyC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #173
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Tony,

That is a gorgeous '66 coupe! dropped 3 and 5? 17" TTII's? Talk about just a fine looking piece of machinery.

I really really dig the color. What is it? Any other specs?

Quote:
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #174
TonyC66

Thank you!

It's on air ride suspension with the CPP mini subframe up front and a TCI four link in the rear. The wheels are Coy's 18's and 20's. The color is the original Aztec Bronze.
TonyC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #175
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Man, I'm not a huge fan of bigger rims, but that looks sooo sharp. You really did a fine job on that Deuce, man.

And as promised, updates. Kinda.

I got my frame rails bent, and tacked up. I had notched them I don't know how many months ago. So yeah, long over due. All told, they're pretty close to symmetrical - close enough that I don't think it's going to be a huge factor.

Alas, pics. I may not have a frame table, but I have a straight edge, C-clamps, and a ratchet strap!

Now to fire up the arc welder, and get them welded up more. Then I'll grind down the welds, cut some plates, and weld them over the welds in an attempt to gusset the joints.

So, that's where it sits tonight. From rough measurements, I'll be able to fit 12-14" of rubber under it - more than big enough for my needs. That, and this way, I know it *should* be able to handle just about anything I throw at it.

I'll try to get some more done this week, but I make no promises. We all know how that ends up. haha.

-Sam.

Quote: