The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
chicklin

Exhaust popping

Well, I thought I had this thing licked but I guess not. If you've read any of these threads you'll know what I've done, but I've still got a popping noise from the exhaust.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370615
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370264

The short story is just about everything has been replaced and I still have a little popping or spitting noise coming from the exhaust. It seems to only happen under acceleration, particularly under load (i.e. I can't reproduce it as easily sitting in the driveway). It also seems to get worse as it warms up.

Vacuum is 18 and steady, timing is 8 btdc, the entire ignition system has been replaced, the entire fuel/air delivery system has been replaced. The exhaust from the cat back has been replaced. The heat riser functions properly. The idle mixture was set via vacuum to 3 turns out on a newly rebuilt carb. The choke has been adjust to open fully when warm and close to about a 1/8" gap when cold. Compression is good and even all around.

It does idle a little rough. Not bad, but just a little miss every couple of revolutions. The engine supposedly has about 79k on it. It could be 179k, but I'd say that by the condition of the rest of the vehicle, 79k is not unfeasible. I don't know anything about the condition of the internals.

As far as power, it's hard to say. I've been driving an '02 Silverado for the last 5 years so I don't think I can give it a fair shake. I can run down the highway at 75 no problem and it doesn't seem to downshift much. It does feel a little sluggish accelerating, but again my frame of reference is probably off.

The only thing I haven't really checked (and what I'm leaning towards) is some kind of valve train issue. My local Chevy dealer (who I've done a lot of business with and generally trust) quoted me about $1,500 out the door for a complete top-end rebuild. Not sure if I'll get to that point, but is that a reasonable number? Short of that, what else can I check?

It's not a huge problem and I'm driving it every day on the interstate to and from work, so it's definitely getting worked, which is good. I'm just kind of anal as I know there is something wrong and that just needles at me.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Exhaust popping

something in the valve train is the only thing left and what i thought of after you said you replaced the ignition system as i was thinking there someplace

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
something in the valve train is the only thing left and what i thought of after you said you replaced the ignition system as i was thinking there someplace
So, what exactly would cause this? A worn cam, broken or worn springs, valves out of adjustment, all of the above? The same shop said they would do the valve inspection/adjustment for $250 out the door. I know I could do it myself, but the time and mess involved makes me lean towards having them do it, as long as that's reasonable.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
xrcr

I'm going to ask a stupid question. Did you replace the plug wires? How about your vacuum advance? I fought this problem with "newer" plug wires and that is what I had it narrowed down to after complete rebuild on the HEI and replacing the vac adv.. Truck didn't idle rough though. I'd double check everything before I did a top end rebuild.Pop your valve covers and check valve adjustment.
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcr View Post
I'm going to ask a stupid question. Did you replace the plug wires? How about your vacuum advance? I fought this problem with "newer" plug wires and that is what I had it narrowed down to after complete rebuild on the HEI and replacing the vac adv.. Truck didn't idle rough though. I'd double check everything before I did a top end rebuild.Pop your valve covers and check valve adjustment.
Entire distributor (which came with a new vac adv), plugs, wires and coil have all been replaced and checked. The plugs are not fouling as far as I can tell, the wires are routed correctly and there is no obvious arcing anywhere.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Ceeten

Take the belt off the smog pump (if it has one) and try it. I had a worn out 305 that would pop like crazy with that thing running, although it was mostly on deceleration.
Ceeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeten View Post
Take the belt off the smog pump (if it has one) and try it. I had a worn out 305 that would pop like crazy with that thing running, although it was mostly on deceleration.
I'll give that a try. I still have the catalytic converter, though so, theoretically, the smog pump should still be needed (or at least useful).

Last edited by chicklin; 12-01-2009 at 12:16 PM.
chicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
chicklin

Did some more tinkering today. Finally figured up the MPG for this thing: 8.6 mpg. Not good. I also noticed that I can get it to pop and blow out a plume of black smoke while in park after it's good and warm.

So, obviously, I am getting a bunch of unburnt fuel in the exhaust due to it running rich (at least that seems right to me). So, where do I start troubleshooting this? I have a brand new rebuilt carb that I ordered online, but I guess I really have no idea how it is adjusted. Like I mentioned, the idle screws are about 3 turns out, but that should have very little to do with the mileage driving back and forth to work on the interstate, right?

Is there some way to adjust the other jets in this carb? Or, is there something else causing the rich condition? It's a stock Quadrajet M4MED.

Last edited by chicklin; 12-01-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklin View Post
Did some more tinkering today. Finally figured up the MPG for this thing: 8.6 mpg. Not good. I also noticed that I can get it to pop and blow out a plume of black smoke while in park after it's good and warm.

So, obviously, I am getting a bunch of unburnt fuel in the exhaust due to it running rich (at least that seems right to me). So, where do I start troubleshooting this? I have a brand new rebuilt carb that I ordered online, but I guess I really have no idea how it is adjusted. Like I mentioned, the idle screws are about 3 turns out, but that should have very little to do with the mileage driving back and forth to work on the interstate, right?

Is there some way to adjust the other jets in this carb? Or, is there something else causing the rich condition? It's a stock Quadrajet E4ME.
Forgot to mention:

Stock 350
4 bbl carb
31" tires
700R4 and I use the overdrive on the highway
3.42 gears

Shouldn't I be getting at least 12-14mpg? Heck, the specs for that year say 15.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
chicklin

Made a little progress tonight. I set my timing using the vacuum guage rather than the specs under the hood (8 btdc). I advanced it to max vacuum and then backed it off about 1.5 inches from there, just to be on the safe side (I think the recommendation is 1 inch from max vacuum). It ended up around 14 btdc.

The popping is not completely gone but it definitely seems fainter and the acceleration and throttle response is WAY better. It actually feels like a truck now, not a schoolbus.

Now, I don't know if this is doing anything for the mileage, but it sure feels like an improvement. I'm going to drive it for a day or so and maybe advance it a little more again and see if it improves any more.

Does this sound at all consistent with the symptoms I was seeing? Is advancing the timing likely to improve the gas mileage?

Last edited by chicklin; 12-01-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Well, I thought I had this thing licked but I guess not. If you've read any of these threads you'll know what I've done, but I've still got a popping noise from the exhaust.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370615
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370264

The short story is just about everything has been replaced and I still have a little popping or spitting noise coming from the exhaust. It seems to only happen under acceleration, particularly under load (i.e. I can't reproduce it as easily sitting in the driveway). It also seems to get worse as it warms up.

Vacuum is 18 and steady, timing is 8 btdc, the entire ignition system has been replaced, the entire fuel/air delivery system has been replaced. The exhaust from the cat back has been replaced. The heat riser functions properly. The idle mixture was set via vacuum to 3 turns out on a newly rebuilt carb. The choke has been adjust to open fully when warm and close to about a 1/8" gap when cold. Compression is good and even all around.

It does idle a little rough. Not bad, but just a little miss every couple of revolutions. The engine supposedly has about 79k on it. It could be 179k, but I'd say that by the condition of the rest of the vehicle, 79k is not unfeasible. I don't know anything about the condition of the internals.

As far as power, it's hard to say. I've been driving an '02 Silverado for the last 5 years so I don't think I can give it a fair shake. I can run down the highway at 75 no problem and it doesn't seem to downshift much. It does feel a little sluggish accelerating, but again my frame of reference is probably off.

The only thing I haven't really checked (and what I'm leaning towards) is some kind of valve train issue. My local Chevy dealer (who I've done a lot of business with and generally trust) quoted me about $1,500 out the door for a complete top-end rebuild. Not sure if I'll get to that point, but is that a reasonable number? Short of that, what else can I check?

It's not a huge problem and I'm driving it every day on the interstate to and from work, so it's definitely getting worked, which is good. I'm just kind of anal as I know there is something wrong and that just needles at me.
For $1500.00 (or less) you can get a new G.M. Goodwrench 350 engine!

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 12-01-2009 at 11:49 PM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
chicklin

Looks like $2k for a 290HP GM crate 350. I guess less if you don't buy it directly from GM.

If it turns out to be something of that nature, that's probably the route I would go. It makes a lot more sense. However, I'm not sure the valvetrain is the problem, yet.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #13
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Looks like $2k for a 290HP GM crate 350. I guess less if you don't buy it directly from GM.

If it turns out to be something of that nature, that's probably the route I would go. It makes a lot more sense. However, I'm not sure the valvetrain is the problem, yet.
G.M. will sell it wholesale to you also if you try and save on shipping too. Shop around town at local dealers for best price.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 12-02-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
HOGDADDY

Quote:

Popping could be a burnt valve or rounded exhaust cam lobe.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
chicklin

Well, so much for that. Same symptoms today. Spitting noise in the exhaust, feels like it's choking on the highway. I verified that the choke is fully open when warm. The acceleration is better due to the timing advance, but it still feels like it's working way too hard to stay up to speed.

So, I'm still either running rich or not getting a complete burn (or both). What else can I check? If it is a valve-train issue, are there any diagnostic tricks I can try short of pulling the covers? I have very steady vacuum on the gauge, right at 18".
Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
3r!c84
Badass

give the motor to me at buy that new 350 already

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #17
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Are you getting any rotten egg smell from the exhaust? I had one with a partially clogged converter that left me stranded on Christmas eve in a snow storm. Turned out the pellets had broken loose and once plugged melted everything together and pop! When that happened, it blew the muffler out the back and into the car behind me.. The converter however was intact and completely blocking my exhaust.
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #18
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted78SS View Post
Are you getting any rotten egg smell from the exhaust? I had one with a partially clogged converter that left me stranded on Christmas eve in a snow storm. Turned out the pellets had broken loose and once plugged melted everything together and pop! When that happened, it blew the muffler out the back and into the car behind me.. The converter however was intact and completely blocking my exhaust.
New convert, new muffler, new intermediate pipe
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #19
HOGDADDY

My truck was running very rough while back and I kept getting lots trash in fuel filter. I pulled tank and the sock had fallen off the pick-up and it was sucking lots trash in fuel lines. I replaced tank and sending unit and no more porblems.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDADDY View Post
My truck was running very rough while back and I kept getting lots trash in fuel filter. I pulled tank and the sock had fallen off the pick-up and it was sucking lots trash in fuel lines. I replaced tank and sending unit and no more porblems.
Wouldn't that make it lean, though? Everything here points to it running rich. It's not really rough, it's just sluggish, uses a ton of fuel and causes popping in the exhaust, which appears to be unburnt fuel.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
3r!c84
Badass

wrong size jets? was it allways doing this after the new carb?

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #22
chicklin

Well, adjusted the valves and put new gaskets on tonight. I also blocked off that damn EGR for now. It's really in the way when you're trying to work in there.

It seemed to run well when I test drove it, but I can't honestly say I noticed any difference from before. The spitting noise in the exhaust is still there after it warms up, but it seems fainter again. I may be fooling myself, though, so I'll drive it for a couple days and see what I think.

If this doesn't get rid of it, the only thing left is the carb. I emailed the guy I bought it from to ask about how it was rebuilt. We'll see if I get an answer.

I guess this isn't that big a deal, but it just keeps nagging me. I may have to move on to other things like replacing my u-joints and figuring out where the slop is in the front driveshaft that is causing this clunking noise when I'm in 4x4. It never ends....
Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #23
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Popping in the exhaust can also be caused by a leak in the exhaust system. A leak up-stream can allow fresh air to be sucked in, especially during decelleration, which can cause the popping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #24
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Popping in the exhaust can also be caused by a leak in the exhaust system. A leak up-stream can allow fresh air to be sucked in, especially during decelleration, which can cause the popping
Cool, I'll look around. The cat and muffler have been replaced, but everything in front of that is original (at least since I bought it). The spitting or popping is mostly on acceleration and under load, but I'll see if I can find any leaks.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
hotrodlover

Might check your distributor to see if it is tight. I might turn just alittle and throw every thing out we had a 73 suburban that was doing about the same
hotrodlover is offline   Reply With Quote