The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

One more question?

Another issue I ran across while detailing my 77. I noticed a lot of gunk on the intake manifold. Normally this area is hidden by the rear A/C bracket. I pulled the bracket to clean it up, and get a better view of what is going on.

Do the two bolts that go in the manifold require sealer? I had new valve cover gaskets put on when they put the chrome valve covers on. Could this be from the gaskets leaking, or what?
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

no sealant need there.
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:12 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

This is where the heat crossover is. It will cook the intake gasket over time and you will see this happening. More than likely you have gunk in the crossover passage too. Might be time to pull the intake and clean it up with some new gaskets. As a choice of my own, I put sealant on every intake bolt, needed or not.

Oil will migrate up through the two center bolt holes, as they are open to the lifter valley. If you don't feel like pulling the intake, put some sealer on the bolts when you put them back in. It will last a while this way.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:47 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
...Oil will migrate up through the two center bolt holes, as they are open to the lifter valley. If you don't feel like pulling the intake, put some sealer on the bolts when you put them back in. It will last a while this way.
Are you referring to the two bolts pictured? Since I don't want to pull the manifold right now, should I pull those two bolts, and seal them?

I plan to do a major clean up this winter. For now, I would like to clean, paint, detail, and drive the b!tch...
Old 09-06-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yeah, the two intake bolts. Take them out, clean'em up real good. Before putting them back in, chase the threads in the head. Then use some sealer on them.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:18 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Cool! I'll put that on the list. It's getting longer all the time....
Old 09-07-2003, 12:19 AM   #7
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

Talking

you should leave the bolts alone and sell the truck (with the long list) to me. :p
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:33 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by 79Silv4x4
you should leave the bolts alone and sell the truck (with the long list) to me. :p
OK, let me know where you want it delivered. Everything I own is for sale except my wife, my daughter, and my dog. There days that my wife, and the dog are in question...:p
Old 09-07-2003, 03:25 PM   #9
gldevall

I had the same problem. Pulled the bolts out put some sealant on them and it quit.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 04:48 PM   #10
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
Everything I own is for sale except my wife, my daughter, and my dog. There days that my wife, [is] in question...:p
got pics of the wife? are you the original owner? what year is it? post pics and Ill make an offer

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:32 PM   #11
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Ken, I think the intake will keep discoloring there because of the heat crossover. What is leaking there? Is it the Valve covers, or the intake? I doubt the intake would be leaking. Do you have any kind of valve cover stiffeners on them? I would bet that is where your leak is from.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:29 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonboy
Ken, I think the intake will keep discoloring there because of the heat crossover. What is leaking there? Is it the Valve covers, or the intake? I doubt the intake would be leaking. Do you have any kind of valve cover stiffeners on them? I would bet that is where your leak is from.
Yeah, I think you are right about the paint. I am going to try to find some high temp paint that matches. Hopefully that will last for a while. I don't "think" it is coming from the valve covers. I do have the small factory stiffeners on there. This is the only place I find oil. It's not along the base of the v/c gasket, or anywhere else but in the valley of the manifold. It really "appears" to be coming from that area.

I had other obligations to take care of today, so I couldn't get back to it. I plan to clean it up really good, and re-paint it. I am going to put a bit of sealer on the two botls, and see what happens from there...