The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
MrDude_1

Opinion on leaving out the parking brake?

Whats every-ones opinion on leaving out the parking brake?

While I really like the parking brake pedal on my AD, im thinking about leaving it out. i think it looks cool, and the "lock"design is cool.. but honestly, im building a automatic transmission truck and i cant think of when I ever use the parking brake on an automatic.

whats kinda prompting this is a couple things..
first, im doing rust repair (aka floor replacement) on the drivers side now. the pedal pivot and everything around it needs to be replaced... If I am going to skip having it, NOW is the time to fill that area.

second, If i ditch the parking brake, I can run a "front" brake caliper on the rear... that sounds odd i know, but I have 14" C6 brakes for the front with big calipers, and the rear will have huge 11" or 12" rotors too.. I could stick to 11" and run ford explorer rear calipers.. that leaves me with a parking brake option.. but I was thinking of running C5 front calipers on the rear. they look nice, pads/parts are easily available, and hey, they're GM.
Really, my experience with rear brake calipers has always been bad, and its always due to the parking brake.
Im starting to seriously consider the notion that I dont even need one. I know how small the parking pawl is on a auto trans, but short of putting it in gear while moving, I still dont see it breaking.. ever.

thoughts?
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
duwem

Re: Opinion on leaving out the parking brake?

I never use it on my daily drivers.

My 50 is a manual and doesnt have a parking brake...really wishing it did!
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I'd say it's a NO-NO. You never know when it might be needed.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
BigJock

Not sure how the laws go over in the States,but your truck would NOT pass annual inspection (MOT) over here.
The vehicle,whether it's a car truck or anything else for that matter,if it goes on the road it MUST have a working parking brake.

Most disc brake rear ends also require the parking brake to be used regularly,to ensure automatic adjustment i.e. to allow the calipers to maintain the correct brake pad/rotor clearances.

I also agree with Jim (Bishops Trucks)' irrespective of the laws, it's always good to have a mechanical 'back-up' should the worst happen.
Just my 2 cents....

Last edited by BigJock; 03-16-2011 at 04:22 PM.
BigJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJock View Post
Not sure how the laws go over in the States,but your truck would NOT pass annual inspection (MOT) over here.
The vehicle,whether it's a car truck or anything else for that matter,if it goes on the road it MUST have a working parking brake.

Most disc brake rear ends also require the parking brake to be used regularly,to ensure automatic adjustment i.e. to allow the calipers to maintain the correct brake pad/rotor clearances.

I also agree with Jim (Bishops Trucks)' irrespective of the laws, it's always good to have a mechanical 'back-up' should the worst happen.
Just my 2 cents....
Each US state has their own laws regarding inspections.
In my state, there are no inspections... or emissions testing, etc.. so im free to my own devices on any non-pollution controlled motor vehicle (tampering with emissions devices is technically a federal offense.. but even that is enforced by the state, and as i said, there is no one here to inspect... lol )

anyway, after more searching, I think i may still use a non-parking brake caliper.. but then add an aftermarket parking brake like this:

http://www.ipsco.org/Custom%20Servic...ng%20Brake.htm

anyone ever mess with anything like that before?
i know its adding unsprung weight over a built in parking brake, but on a truck with a 9", huge brakes and 20" wheels, i dont think it really makes a diff at this point.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
MrDude_1

I suppose another option would be a drum style parking brake...
Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Clay54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
Each US state has their own laws regarding inspections.
In my state, there are no inspections... or emissions testing, etc.. so im free to my own devices on any non-pollution controlled motor vehicle (tampering with emissions devices is technically a federal offense.. but even that is enforced by the state, and as i said, there is no one here to inspect... lol )

anyway, after more searching, I think i may still use a non-parking brake caliper.. but then add an aftermarket parking brake like this:

http://www.ipsco.org/Custom%20Servic...ng%20Brake.htm

anyone ever mess with anything like that before?
i know its adding unsprung weight over a built in parking brake, but on a truck with a 9", huge brakes and 20" wheels, i dont think it really makes a diff at this point.
In Texas you cannot get an inspection sticker without e-brake. Clay
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
WIDESIDE72

It's not so much that you need a "parking brake" as you do an "EMERGENCY BRAKE" in case your hydraulic brakes fail. Even if you do not have to put the truck through a yearly safety inspection, I would think that you would be leaving yourself open to liability if you had an accident and it was found that you had removed a factory safety device.

A wise man once said "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

LEAVE IT ON THERE OR ADAPT SOMETHING MORE MODERN.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
OrrieG

I didn't have mine hooked up for a while which explains why all four fender corners were dinged and rolled under from dropping it into ditchs or cut banks when things got interested after stopping (intentionally or unintentionally) on slick hills. Some times you need more than two feet even with an automatic. I never trusted the trans sprag, carried a couple of 6x6's with me.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
55metalmonkey

not sure about SC but here in bc our laws are somewhat the same, no annual inspection, or emissions BUT if you get a cop on the ball at a Drinking and driving check stop or get pulled over and he asks where your parking brake is.. if you don't have it it's an automatic tow, impound and safety inpection and possible heafty fine
Besides the parking brake is also known as an emergency brake for a reason, never know when you may wish you had one

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 03-17-2011 at 02:36 AM.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #11
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I've eliminated the stock parking brake on my 50. I will however be adding some sort of emergency brake via a floor mounted hand lever. There seems to be an endless supply of hand brakes in the junk yards, configurations of every imaginable type. Getting one of them hooked up to the rear brake cables (since most of us have gone 10-12 bolt, 8-9" etc) is a pretty simple task.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

First thing I did when I bought my truck was hook up the parking brake.

You know, they used to be called "Emergency Brakes". And for good reason... it can save your life.

Quote:
.......... i cant think of when I ever use the parking brake on an automatic.......... thoughts?
I can think of one for ya. It was a "life lesson" I experienced as a little kid that has stuck with me to this day.
When I was a kid, back in the late 60's, my grandfather had a '59 Chrysler 4 door, push button automatic. A huge hulk of a car that was past it's prime and it was his "beater farm car". We were out on an errand, driving down the road and he attempted to stop at a stop sign at a busy highway intersection. He said "oh $hit" and grabbed the emergency brake and we skidded to a stop. When he hit the brake a brake line broke and the peddle went right to the floor. He used the emergency brake to get us back to his farm, where he fixed the brake line.
Brakes and steering are the (2) things you never make shortcuts with. If all else fails you need to be able to steer the car and stop the car.

There are a lot of options for relocating the emergency brake: foot style, floor mount, etc. I relocated mine to the floor.

Good luck, have fun and always remember to be safe out there! We are counting on ya!

John

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-17-2011 at 08:51 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
MrDude_1

lakeroadster: thats also why we now have dual master cyls instead of the older single style.

anyway, looking into it more.. I think im going to put a "drum" style rear parking brake on it. it will be fairly easy to fit, and will still let me run whatever caliper i wish.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
lakeroadster: thats also why we now have dual master cyls instead of the older single style.
There are a lot of trucks out there that don't. All stock GM trucks, pre '67, had / have the single "fruit jar" style master cylinders.

All the more reason to never drive one without an emergency brake.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-17-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #15
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
There are a lot of trucks out there that don't. All stock GM trucks, pre '67, had / have the single "fruit jar" style master cylinders.

All the more reason to never drive one without an emergency brake.
Yea, I am without a doubt upgrading mine to a modern master cyl. it just makes good sense.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Quote:
Yea, I am without a doubt upgrading mine to a modern master cyl. it just makes good sense.
Good call. Now put an Ebrake on it.

The lash in the parking pall will let a car move up to about 3" fore/aft when it's new, more as it wears. An emergency brake will hold it a lot tighter than that.

I work for a supplier of jacks to the OEMs. I've tested dozens of cars, trucks, and SUVs around the world. Now that you've built your entire truck is something as simple as changing a flat tire along side the road worth getting killed over?

You don't have to use the stomp type. You can use the rod/handle type from a 53/54 Bel Air. You can use the under dash squeeze and pull type from another manufacturer. You can even put one of the pull up handle types from a late model hidden under your seat. They are all cable related now so do what you want. Just don't go without. It isn't worth the risk. WideSide72 summed it up best.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
vjjack04

I say in an automatic, don't worry about it. Never used one with an automatic unless I was jerking around attempting to slide the rear end around. Anyway, it is your choice but in a state with no inspection, like AZ, you don't have to worry about it.
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
chev3600

It's easy to pass it up based on your own preference, but I dont think I'd be so gentle with the guy that accidentally runs into my wife and kids because he didn't feel like putting an emergency brake in.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #19
vjjack04

Guys, my only point is that it is not really an "emergency brake" that is why in recent years they call it a parking brake. If you pull it in an emergency you would go, back to front pretty quick. In 20 plus years of driving I have never known myself or someone to pull it to save a life....only for redneck fun to get the rear end to slide around.....(I am originally from NC myself)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by vjjack04; 03-18-2011 at 01:00 AM.
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #20
chev3600

You're right, modern vehicles "parking brakes" are designed for nothing more than that. I just wanted to make sure that the decision considered other peoples safety as well. Should it be of any assistance, it would be nice to have.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #21
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjack04 View Post
In 20 plus years of driving I have never known myself or someone to pull it to save a life....Posted via Mobile Device
I guess you didn't read the above post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
First thing I did when I bought my truck was hook up the parking brake.

You know, they used to be called "Emergency Brakes". And for good reason... it can save your life.

I can think of one for ya. It was a "life lesson" I experienced as a little kid that has stuck with me to this day.
When I was a kid, back in the late 60's, my grandfather had a '59 Chrysler 4 door, push button automatic. A huge hulk of a car that was past it's prime and it was his "beater farm car". We were out on an errand, driving down the road and he attempted to stop at a stop sign at a busy highway intersection. He said "oh $hit" and grabbed the emergency brake and we skidded to a stop. When he hit the brake a brake line broke and the peddle went right to the floor. He used the emergency brake to get us back to his farm, where he fixed the brake line.
Brakes and steering are the (2) things you never make shortcuts with. If all else fails you need to be able to steer the car and stop the car.

There are a lot of options for relocating the emergency brake: foot style, floor mount, etc. I relocated mine to the floor.

Good luck, have fun and always remember to be safe out there! We are counting on ya!

John
Think about it: You have resto rodded a truck, upgraded the brakes to dual reservoir etc. and intentionally didn't hook up an emergency brake. You posted on a blog you weren't going to, others said you should. Now you get in an accident and somebody gets hurt. Pretty much the worse lawyer in the country could make a really good case of intentional neglegence against you.

Saying "if you have an automatic you don't need one" is just silly. How many automatic trucks have been built since the 1940's by automotove manufacturers that didn't have a "parking / emergency" brake? None.

Hydraulic brake systems are mechanical devices, they can fail. You need a back up system and that system is the parking / emergency brake. If you don't do it for yourself do it for those riding with you, and for those on the highway.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-18-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #22
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

I have needed it. And I have used it. I had a guy put a new exhaust on my '91 Chevy truck. He got a little wild with the pipes and smacked the rear brake line just near the splitter. Didn't know until I came up on to a 90 degree turn in the road and hit the brakes. Went to the floor. I was loaded and the front brakes weren't strong enough to stop me. I pounded that thing to the floor and locked up the rears. Made the turn. Threw out the undies.

Didn't seem like it was "just a parking brake" then.

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 03-18-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
OrrieG

This post brought back a memory from 1969. Friend had a 36 Ford panel with mechanical brakes (kids that is what they had before hydralics). Good for planned stops, worthless is emergency. More than once we mowed down road side shrubs when someone stopped in front of us and we had to bail off the side with the rear wheel locked by the emergency brake.

You might also want to check with your insurance agent. I could see a situation where a claim would be denied because a critical safety feature was not installed or working properly.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
bobinbc

On a show car that is never driven, I would say leave it out. But if it's on the road you must have it, it could save a life.

I had a car blow a brake line approaching a 4-way stop. The car was a 1965 Triumph TR4 with a 327 and turbo 350, it only had the single master, auto trans. I was driving in a "spirited" fashion because I had confidence in my brakes, they were all in good condition (it even had front discs ) and I was young and dumb. I got lucky and was able to crank it hard to the right and get through the intersection and around the corner without incident, about a half block later I'd coasted enough that I slowed down by shifting into reverse while idling. The car had no e-brake because the rear had been swapped and it had never been hooked up. DUMB! Someone could've easily been killed.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
mr48chev

I think if you check the rcw's for your state every state in the Union requires some sort of parking/emergency brake on a car or truck.

But there are a lot of alternatives to the stock setup from using a pedal setup out of a later model, using a floor handle, or buying an after market setup.

Better to have on and never use it than not have one and pay a ticket or worse.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote