The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
12secondnova

Whitelightnings LS twin turbo build

So I finally pulled the trigger and tore into whitelightning after I put a brand new starter on it and after 2 cranks it snapped it in half I'm making this thread to document everything I do on it and maybe give back some knowledge to this site thats helped me out tremendously. I'm not very far into the build I mainly just have the teardown completed. Just getting the overall gist of the build down for now so I can focus on each separate project on the truck individually.

The goal I have in mind is to have around 6-700hp on a budget thats reliable so I can DRIVE it 10 hours down to my cousins wedding in san diego next year june. (I've got a good start but knowing how these projects go I'm leaving myself some time to get everything sorted out before then.) Its a 67-72 chevy/gmc truck wedding and all the groomsmen own at least 1 67-72 plus we have various other family and friends bringing theirs. So far we have around 20 showing up

So onto the plans for whitelightning, I'm trying to keep this in somewhat of a budget so I will be trying to use as much factory parts available that are readily available. (as in i can get them from the junkyard lol) I bought a 4.8 ls for $700 with literally everything included and also a 4l80e for $400. The 4.8 will just be getting injectors and a cam and the 4l80e will be getting a shift kit and torque converter.
For the twin turbo setup I'm shooting for simple and cheap. So I'm not running an intercooler or meth inj. kit, only planning on putting around 10 pounds into it for now as I'm not doing head studs or gaskets either. If my intake temps are a little on the high side I will end up springing for the meth inj kit though. I bought the $160 turbo ls headers off ebay and some $66 cxracing elbows off ebay too. I will end up mounting the turbos directly off the elbows and putting the wastegates in the elbows too. Than all I will have to do is route the exhaust and Y the turbos into the intake. Cooling will be handled by a stock radiator with electric fans off of a 1996 v6 camaro (I think the fans are the same for v8s too from 94-02) which I got out of the junkyard for $40. Brakes are all stock 6 lug and will stay that way for now. Fuel system will be handle by a 87-90 full size blazer tank(Tank was $75+$50 for the sending unit) with a walbro 255 fuel pump inside that from what I've found in research will slip right in place of the stock in-tank pump. We will see once it gets here though. I might also need an external booster pump though but not sure yet.

This is mainly a motor and trans swap and just a little refresh of the body and suspension. Heres some pictures

How I drove it for a year or so...

After teardown.

The engine and trans

The headers, VERY nice for $160 bucks

The electric fans on the stock radiator. Originally I was just going to build a shroud for the fans but the stock one fits so well I might just build a plate to hold the top in and 2 tabs on the bottom.

This is how I want the truck sit sit more or less when I'm done with it

And thats where I'm at now. I will really start giving updates in a couple weeks when the converter and cam come in and I can drop the engine and trans in for good.
12secondnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
12secondnova

Re: Whitelightnings LS twin turbo build

Also if anyone has had an LS harness reworked please chime in. I'm looking for a place to send mine too
12secondnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Sqznby

Re: Whitelightnings LS twin turbo build

Nice truck.

Check these guys out http://www.speartech.com/LSX_Wiring_...ork_s/1833.htm
Sqznby is offline   Reply With Quote