The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2017, 03:05 AM   #76
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Post a real Cheyenne Super only (aka the defiinitive Cheyenne Super thread)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Thanks for asking - I'd like to see the SPID associated with the truck if you have both, but I'll let others chime in. I'm a SPID-saver too, ha, one never knows when one might need to glean a tidbit...

Somehow I missed the pics you posted. LOVE that truck. I think it would look incredible with the original dark over medium two tone and steelies! The hood spear is aftermarket, not a GM thing. Thanks for posting pics. I remember when this was up for sale, it's a nice loaded truck.
Thanks Jocko. Up "for sale" took a life of its own. Steelies and the 558 paint code would make for a great restoration. I like light blue atop dark blue even more (559). I'm fixing her up, but as a driver. I can only imagine restoring this with original parts. Who knows what the future brings, but in the meantime it's a blast to drive.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:18 AM   #77
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Post a real Cheyenne Super only (aka the defiinitive Cheyenne Super thread)!

[quote=jocko;7850701]I believe you are correct Tristan. I guess I just meant you could get one in 71 or 72 - but good point, the 71 should be a little more rare as a post-rollout release. I KNEW I shoulda held onto ol greenie!

That's an awesome truck, love everything about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
The steering wheel is a replacement? In other terms, was black an option with blue interior?

Black wheel and column is correct on a tilt truck like yours. Non-tilt would have had both blue.

Thanks Tony - that 71 was gonna be a keeper, but then I stumbled onto the Highlander I have and had to make room - used to move around a lot and it got pricey to ship a fleet... So I had to kinda flip my planned frame-off quickly before it ever got that far. Before and after pics below - it was a real fun quick project. I liked the "hidden Super" effect of a 71 Super that is also a Custom Camper. Are you referring to the lower belt molding (black vs woodgrain) or are you referring to a black truck's glovebox door? Wasn't sure what you were referring to in with black vs woodgrain.
Interesting stuff (tilt=black)............Thanks for noticing the column too. I didn't think about it until after I had posted.

As for black Vs wood grain, I mean the interior, lower belts and band. Generally I prefer black/Custom over Cheyenne/Super. Wood grain with olive colors is at least one exception. Looks great with stock yellow as well.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 02-07-2017, 03:26 AM   #78
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Black and white 71 big block- only pic I have on the iPad. You can also see the 68 anniversary CST in the foreground as well as 4x4.
I see this pic and your sig. and am envious. How to decide which to drive.....I think I'd spend the most time with the 68 anniversary CST.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #79

Here's one of my 72 Sierra Grande's. I will get pics of other one and the spids. I added buckets to this one
Attached Images

70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #80
Ekliptix

I don't have the spid and I'd love to know if my 72 is a real Super or a fake.

Has AC, shoulder seat belts, wood on the door panels and dash, tilt, rear cab light, lower trim only. I added the seat cover.

Any ways I can tell 100%?

Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #81
Ekliptix

And a 4x4 My dad had for a while.

Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #82
jojomiamia

Does my one fit ?

I own it since two months and I think it's one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

I feel like Colt Seavers... seriously it makes me feel like in my young ages. The cheapest time machine, and sure not the ugliest one !!
Attached Images

jojomiamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #83
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomiamia View Post
Does my one fit ?

I own it since two months and I think it's one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

I feel like Colt Seavers... seriously it makes me feel like in my young ages. The cheapest time machine, and sure not the ugliest one !!
Nice truck
Looks like it ended up far away from California, where it was originally sold
The original Yellow over green is a very rare color
I've never seen one, don't even think there is a good picture of it on the board
Yes, these definitely are feel good trucks

Last edited by Chevyland; 02-07-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Text
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #84
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post

Has AC, shoulder seat belts, wood on the door panels and dash, tilt, rear cab light, lower trim only. I added the seat cover.

That could be a Super. I'm not an expert, but from my education you can't confirm unless everything lines up. Really, it's process of elimination for increasing odds of originality. The SPID is an important component. Your truck had a build sheet (under the seat behind webbing, careful, it's brittle). If it's gone that's strike two. Also, how much of that truck are original parts, including the VIN plates to title?

Super came with upper moldings, so if authentic they sealed up the holes. That or the entire body is a replacement Ha! (extreme). Guess these had chrome tailgate handles as well. Yours doesn't, but mine doesn't either. They may not hold up well, though my tailgate is thrashed.

I don't believe A/C was a Super standard. It was an option on anything Custom Deluxe forward, if not Custom forward.

Authentic or not NICE truck. One of the better paint schemes IMO, dark olive + wood grain.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-07-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #85
Chevyland

The moulding question Is one I've always wondered about on Supers
?Did they ever come without full trim?
Every post here has upper and lower moulding
Except the black Long stepside jocko posted in #42
I remember that truck when it was being sold, and I believe the spid was shown
That being said, was moulding deleted due to the fact it was a stepside?
I also believe I have seen Super motor homes without moulding
My motorhome is only cheyenne, and it came from factory without lower
All that being said, let's see if any other stepside's show up
OR any fleetside's with spid, but without upper or lower moulding
Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #86
Joesjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
The moulding question Is one I've always wondered about on Supers
?Did they ever come without full trim?
Every post here has upper and lower moulding
Except the black Long stepside jocko posted in #42
I remember that truck when it was being sold, and I believe the spid was shown
That being said, was moulding deleted due to the fact it was a stepside?
I also believe I have seen Super motor homes without moulding
My motorhome is only cheyenne, and it came from factory without lower
All that being said, let's see if any other stepside's show up
OR any fleetside's with spid, but without upper or lower moulding
Stepsides and cab and chassis trucks deleted the moldings. That black 4x4 step side was a real super with a SPID to match.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #87
Chevyland

Thanks for the clarification Joe. I never knew that for sure

Here is another one.
A Longhorn. C30. Big block
Low on the collectibility scale
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #88
randy500
Account Suspended

I guess I will add one of mine....cant find the pic of the other half of the SPID, its in my build thread I think.
Attached Images

randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:14 AM   #89
jocko

Quote:

Beautiful truck! No way to know for sure if it was born a Super without a SPID or build sheet. While playing Sherlock Holmes with the tell tale signs will provide clues, it would never be a definitive answer. Your truck is so nice and clearly redone, would be hard to even guess. The tailgate handle cover is missing (but they sometimes are), and Supers never came with black door panels (unless they had black buckets). So, for example, if you knew enough of the truck's history to at least know the door panels were original, you could make the assumption it's a Cheyenne, but not a Super. But, if you don't know that history - it's possible it could be a Cheyenne Super that someone redid with black door panels... Again, no way to know definitively without the paperwork. (then again, untouched trucks tend to still have their SPIDs, so guessing based on clues isn't usually necessary)

Forgot to mention - as for woodgrain on the door panels, both Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super had them, so not a giveaway as to trim level (headliner is a fairly good clue it's a Cheyenne at least - but, like woodgrain door panels, Cheyennes and Cheyenne Supers both had headliners - it's just a lot more work to add a headliner than a woodgrain door panel...) A/C, tilt, and even super rare factory shoulder belts are unrelated to trim level. All could be ordered on a base trim truck (a Custom).

It's easier to guess the Super originality based on clues alone on an untouched/unrestored truck - i.e. it's more difficult to fake a well worn Super than it is a fully restored one. Hard to make a group of parts look exactly the same age (unless that age is brand new). But still, all conjecture without the paper to back it up.

I'd want to know too if it were my truck, but I sure wouldn't sweat it - yours is one sweet ride, enjoy! We sure enjoy lookin at it.

Last edited by jocko; 02-08-2017 at 02:22 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #90
SoCoC10

One of my favorite color combos.
Attached Images

SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #91
Ekliptix

Thanks for the information and feedback about determining if my 72 is a real Super or not. I'd really love it to be. I'll search for the build sheet under the seat this week. Hopefully it's there and I can get some questions answered. Awesome trucks on this thread!!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #92
Joesjunk

Quote:
Thanks for the information and feedback about determining if my 72 is a real Super or not. I'd really love it to be. I'll search for the build sheet under the seat this week. Hopefully it's there and I can get some questions answered. Awesome trucks on this thread!!
If you think you're sheetmetal is original to the truck you could look inside the front fenders for evidence of any holes being welded up from the upper molding.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #93
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Do have the pictured gaskets between the front fender and cowl. Open your door and look past the hinges and real Supers have them, but they could be added in a rebuild. If they are there and look 40 + years old you probably have an original Super. If your truck was a Fremont Plant build the broadcast sheets are usually in the seat springs.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #94
robs71

Great point Already Gone...the forgotten clue that darn gasket that never comes off in one piece...Ekliptix has one bad shorty there..i don't care what it was born as.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #95
randy500
Account Suspended

I agree that green super is a beautiful truck and seems to have all the Cheyenne super equipment.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #96
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

The gasket came on Cheyenne too.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #97
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Do have the pictured gaskets between the front fender and cowl. Open your door and look past the hinges and real Supers have them, but they could be added in a rebuild. If they are there and look 40 + years old you probably have an original Super. If your truck was a Fremont Plant build the broadcast sheets are usually in the seat springs.
I was wondering what that was. Thought perhaps my 71 Deluxe was missing them.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #98
bacato

So was the tachometer ever included in a package, or was it simply an individual option?
bacato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #99
Becker67

Here's my 72 unsure if it's real it's also missing the spid. I think it has most everything that it should have to be real.
Attached Images

71 cheyenne super swb 454/700r4 4/6drop tach,tilt,a/c,bucket seats,speed warning
96 gmc swb
Becker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #100
Becker67

The inside
Attached Images

71 cheyenne super swb 454/700r4 4/6drop tach,tilt,a/c,bucket seats,speed warning
96 gmc swb
Becker67 is offline   Reply With Quote