The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
rugby_7

Door Fitment Differences

So I am looking for different doors for my 74 blazer I currently have some reproduction ones and they are not the best fitment.

I may have came across some unused GM NOS door shells. Would they fit better than the reproduction? How are they compared to pulling originals off another truck?
rugby_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
SunSoaked

Re: Door Fitment Differences

Anything fits better than reproductions.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
stanski

The stock doors on my 75 Jimmy never fit worth crap from day 1, the rear gap widened from the belt line up to the width of a finger at the top and the top corner stuck out at least 3/8" from the quarter. The front gap to fender was ok, but the bottom along the rocker also stuck out a good 1/4". Absolutely no way to improve things by simply adjusting the hinges.

Firstly I ground the slots in the lower hinge longer so the bottom of the door could be rotated further inward and that cured the bottom door to rocker flushness problem.

Next I cut a slice in the door frame from the top down to near the latch and also along the top then squeezed the top corner of the door in to where it was flush with the quarter then welded up the slice.

Next I welded 3/8 welding rod to the door edge to even the gap at the rear of the door. I ended up adding 3 rods at the top and narrowing down to nothing at the belt line then used a metal body file to get a nice straight edge and perfect rear gap.

My doors look perfect now. The work required took about an hour. My advice is use the repop doors you have and tweak them as required to get a perfect fit. There is a possibility you could spend many hours putting on the NOS skins only to find the doors still fit like crap and then you still have to tweak them as much as the repops.
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
rugby_7

I hesitated too long and the NOS ones are sold already unfortunately.

When I first put my blazer together I had a pair of rusty doors for parts. They fit just about perfect. When I put the repops on, no where close, gaps are all wrong. Its like they were stamped crooked. The steel flexes a lot when opening or closing. They will work until I can come across some good ones.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
rugby_7

Well the NOS are back in the picture, also have a line on some original ones. So looking for anyone's experience with them.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
rugby_7

Picked up the nos doors. Did a quick mount to see how they compare. They are 100xs better than the other repops. Still debating on buying the original doors to see how they compare to the NOS ones, but I don't think the fitment can get much better.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
1774btcrew

Glad you got the NOS ones. My experience with repop parts is you spend WAY more time getting them to fit right than you would have into fixing good originals.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote