The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
FlameOut

Mirrors mirrors and more mirrors

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't seem to find any information on the subject. My 72 K-10 came with the short tripod mirrors, but looking at many different photos of these trucks, I see there must have been few options, unless the tripod mirrors were replaced??

What determined which door mirrors were installed when new. Did the buyer when ordering the truck have options for which mirrors they wanted?

I want to buy new replacement, chrome tripod mirrors, but can't seem to find them. Only 'universal' replacements, which say the mounting holes may be different. Are they repoped or should I just look for some oem used ones?

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Mirrors mirrors and more mirrors

Those '72 Below-eyeline mirrors were a one year only option. 69-71 had a version with much longer lower legs and a the top brace was different. The '72s look like a mini version. Camper mirrors have even loner lower legs (down to body line) with a triangle top brace and the arms for the head are designed to turn out and you flip the head around when needed. There were also the trucker style mirrors available known as Sr. West Coasts. So, in '72 there were standard mirrors and threes options. Your mirrors can only be found used.
The standard mirrors for 71/72 were the chrome car mirrors that everybody calls sport mirrors now.
The standard mirror in 67-70 were the stick mirrors, is what I always called them. They were a single three screw triangle mount with tube arm, much like standard mirrors from the past decades. 67/68 had an optional mirror called RV Jrs which were a Jr West Coast. A smaller head with one piece tube that mounts at the top and bottom of the window in a single bow

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
FlameOut

Thanks for that info Tim, I never knew any of that. I learn something new everyday here I definitely want to stay with the '72 below eyeline tripod mirror, so I guess it time to start the hunt. I currently have no holes in my doors, so those universal mirrors will work if need be. I'm kind of afraid to post a WTB ad though. Seems like that's a sign to jack up the price

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

Here's a picture of a completely original 1972 below eyeline mirror for a 1972 that I found in Phoenix for a forum member a couple years ago. It sounds like that's what you are looking for.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Ironhorse

FlameOut, if wanting some nice original style below-eye line '72 mirrors and don't want to place an ad just keep an eye on the 67-72 parts forum. They come up for sale at times and I have seen some nice mirrors sell at decent prices. A lot of members here don't try to inflate prices as you may see else where. Just be patient and they will come around. I would do that before going with re-pop mirrors. Below is a picture of my '71 4x4 with the larger swing out camper mirrors. They fit the 4x4 look better to me but just my opinion and everyone's opinion is differant.

The Chevelle in the pic is my current project and has been in body/paint now for about a month.

specialK gave a very good explination on the differing mirror styles available back in the day.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
chipflyer

You want to find nice originals and have them cleaned up and polished. I have heard many stories through the years of the aftermarket or universals vibrating badly.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote