The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
EdwardSams

Single car garage

I’m trying to figure out the best way to get my single car garage organized so I can squeeze my 70 C10 into it while still being able to store stuff in it.

Many of you appear to have way bigger set ups but perhaps some of you are in the same situation as me? How do you make it work?
Posted via Mobile Device
EdwardSams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
saxart

Re: Single car garage

Shelves have been the solution to my garage space issues. If you can get some pallet racking, and back your truck in the garage you can build a shelf above the bed (against the back garage wall) that will hold heavy items like a lawn mower in the winter or a snow blower in the summer.

On the sides of the garage you could have smaller shelving for lighter items. The bottom line is that organization is going to be your way around this.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
mike1971c10

I know how you feel, the same thing for a 2 car garage. The '71 and the '54 in the garage with shelfs above both. One side for truck parts and the other side family stuff. The wife's RAM and my sons '69 c20 have to sit out in the sun and my poor '71 can't take the 118 degree temp

mike
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
Killer Bee

I struggled with a single garage once, had a '98 class 7 amigo in there with a spare engine, trans, transfer case, wheels/tires, tool boxes, etc...

basically built storage with dimensional lumber and plywood around the truck.. worked out fairly decent as long as not in an hurry for anything..

wall mounted tv, stereo, and phone extension.. ice down some beer and work in there all night

Old 08-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
bill3rail

I have a 14' X 20' garage and I have been trying to get my truck in there for years to no avail. Still keeping it in a neighbor's garage for now.

Where on LI are you located? I am in Hicksville.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
EdwardSams

Thanks for the advice.

I think I’m going to put in one of those ceiling racks that’s 4 x 8 so I can put a lot of stuff up there then I’ll have shelves around the garage to hold everything else. I like the idea of backing it in to create more room at the top of the garage.

I’m in Massapequa. The truck is in Arizona. I’m hoping it’ll be here in a few weeks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardSams View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I think I’m going to put in one of those ceiling racks that’s 4 x 8 so I can put a lot of stuff up there then I’ll have shelves around the garage to hold everything else. I like the idea of backing it in to create more room at the top of the garage.

I’m in Massapequa. The truck is in Arizona. I’m hoping it’ll be here in a few weeks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool, when you get it make sure you stop by the Milleridge Inn on Wednesday evenings for a massive car cruise night.

My garage has a high ceiling and I put a storage area above but still have no room...

We love pictures too...

Bill

Last edited by bill3rail; 08-26-2018 at 10:34 AM.
bill3rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Jim Boy

Smile Re: Single car garage

First off go through the stuff you have and get rid of the crap. If you are like most of us you keep a lot of garbage around for "just in case you will need it" old time sake. Then with what's left separate the items that you use on a regular basis. The things left over can now go into a garden shed out back. Tires,lawnmower, snowblower, used spare parts stuff like that. Now with what is left, should be close to nothing if you have been honest, shelves and storage cupboards can be sized and placed. If this doesn't work for you, move! Have a good one.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
EdwardSams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boy View Post
First off go through the stuff you have and get rid of the crap. If you are like most of us you keep a lot of garbage around for "just in case you will need it" old time sake. Then with what's left separate the items that you use on a regular basis. The things left over can now go into a garden shed out back. Tires,lawnmower, snowblower, used spare parts stuff like that. Now with what is left, should be close to nothing if you have been honest, shelves and storage cupboards can be sized and placed. If this doesn't work for you, move! Have a good one.
Moving is a great idea but sadly it isn’t in the cards. I’ll be sure to post pix as I get things figured out.

Thanks for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #10
bill3rail

For a month I have been contemplating a full garage dump onto the driveway and decide what needs to go to the curb, what needs to be moved to somewhere else and what needs to be sold.

I just need to get the nerve to start the job.

Bill
P.S. I also get sidetracked easily and start fixing something in the middle of doing something else. So a garage dump and reorganization would take me twice as long as it should.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
In The Ten Ring

I have solved all my single car garage space issues, in theory. I haven't started the renovation yet so it's not been done in practice.

You've got to be able to think "outside of the box." I've decided to build wooden and steel shelves, going all the way to the ceiling, and use wheeled carts I have in some cases made already to push heavy items under those shelves.

Can you use your attic at all? I plan to install a lift system to move awkward items into the attic that I will then move about via a new attic ladder system I'll also put in.

If you are like me there is very little "junk" in your garage, it's all parts, tools, spare boards, etc. Can you build an outside shed to take care of some of that? I plan to do that too.

We'll need pics of what you have to give you specific advice. *Tall shelves are best anchored to the wall or ceiling joists.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
dmjlambert

Man, it is hard to get rid of stuff. I could not have gone through my garage successfully without my wife's help. It was a big job. We got rid of a lot of stuff. Making sure there is room in the garage for the trucks is top priority. Other stuff can sit outside.

I like saferacks.com for the 4x8 racks that hang from the ceiling. They have a factory seconds section on their site. My brother in law got factory seconds and told me about them and I ordered some for myself. With his and with mine, there were no significant blemishes, they were pretty much perfect.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
Jim Boy

THE REST OF THE STORY!
We looked for three years to find a house that we both could live with till death do us part. We were coming from 45 acres with attached oversize double garage and a 30x40 shop with a full loft. Needless to say lots of (good) stuff. So the places we looked at we liked the house and the lot sucked or the property was to die for but the house left a lot to be desired. Found the perfect house and lot but the garage was not up to snuff. Then this place came on the market. We went through the joint and my boss said that she didn't like the kitchen, what else is new eh? I walked out into the double garage and there and behold was a garage with, are you ready for this, a 12 ft. ceiling. All I could see was hoist, hoist, hoist. She was at the garage door and instantly I blurted out, you can have a new kitchen.(mistake, many dollars) We made the move but where to put all my GOOD stuff? Honey I'll just put the stuff in the basement for now and will be sorting it out shortly. Ya right.(5 years) So now I should be asking here how to organise my basement BUT I am not going to do that because it creates work that I do not want to do period. My garage looks perfect from the road and I don't take our company downstairs so it remains my boss's and my secret. have a good one eh!
Old 08-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boy View Post
THE REST OF THE STORY!
We looked for three years to find a house that we both could live with till death do us part. We were coming from 45 acres with attached oversize double garage and a 30x40 shop with a full loft. Needless to say lots of (good) stuff. So the places we looked at we liked the house and the lot sucked or the property was to die for but the house left a lot to be desired. Found the perfect house and lot but the garage was not up to snuff. Then this place came on the market. We went through the joint and my boss said that she didn't like the kitchen, what else is new eh? I walked out into the double garage and there and behold was a garage with, are you ready for this, a 12 ft. ceiling. All I could see was hoist, hoist, hoist. She was at the garage door and instantly I blurted out, you can have a new kitchen.(mistake, many dollars) We made the move but where to put all my GOOD stuff? Honey I'll just put the stuff in the basement for now and will be sorting it out shortly. Ya right.(5 years) So now I should be asking here how to organise my basement BUT I am not going to do that because it creates work that I do not want to do period. My garage looks perfect from the road and I don't take our company downstairs so it remains my boss's and my secret. have a good one eh!
What I am looking at is what happens to all my crap after I am gone? My family will not be able to figure out what most of it is let alone know what it is worth (Or what I paid). And I would hate to have good old truck parts go in the trash.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #15
Barnfind46

I have my single car garage set up with my tools and equipment and just work out in the driveway.The truck would take up the whole garage.Thinking about putting up a carport to block the sun.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #16
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
What I am looking at is what happens to all my crap after I am gone? My family will not be able to figure out what most of it is let alone know what it is worth (Or what I paid). And I would hate to have good old truck parts go in the trash.
Sorry to high jack the thread here... but.... I suggest you (bill3rail) make a list of your favorite board members who would really appreciate what you have loved over the years, which sadly in reality, to most of the world IS old junk, and upon your passing you have the executor of your estate notify said favorite board members and give it to them. Why not be remembered as a generous man? You certainly won't be needing it wherever you are headed after you check out from this place.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Sorry to high jack the thread here... but.... I suggest you (bill3rail) make a list of your favorite board members who would really appreciate what you have loved over the years, which sadly in reality, to most of the world IS old junk, and upon your passing you have the executor of your estate notify said favorite board members and give it to them. Why not be remembered as a generous man? You certainly won't be needing it wherever you are headed after you check out from this place.
I did just that thing before I left for Indonesia last month. At the moment all my property is willed to my parents so I gave my father a list of who to call to handle selling of my goods and who is allowed to have "first picks" of said property before selling. Now that I am back from that adventure in one piece (minus from flesh left on a certain coral reef in the Sunda Straight) I need to fully rewrite the will.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #18
EdwardSams

Tonight I completed phase one of my single car garage organization project.

I cleaned up the shed.

Out went a few kiddie pools, more kid stuff, and odds and ends that haven’t been touched in years.

Later this week I’ll move essential to keep but don’t use often stuff to the shed.

And then I’ll start getting the new shelving up in the garage.

Update and pictures to come.

Thx again for all the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Bunch of guys here on the board that don't have any garage at all. Amazing what you can get done if you have the will. Seems like one of the members is actually building a truck in a parking garage or something like that.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #20
davischevy

It looks like you have already started on the project, but I have found if I move it all outside at once, it's amazing how much I don't really need when I start moving it back in.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #21
Jim Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Bunch of guys here on the board that don't have any garage at all. Amazing what you can get done if you have the will. Seems like one of the members is actually building a truck in a parking garage or something like that.
Years ago a fellow that I worked with had #1 1954 Vet in Canada. He had no garage and showed me pictures of installing the engine in the Vet by chain block hanging in a big tree. That's having the will that you had mentioned. Have a good one eh!
Old 08-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #22
blazer2007

I took a section of the side of the garage out and widened it 4 feet and have a shed just out from the garage with my tools I don,t use much
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote