The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
c673986

Figuring out what I bought- What kind of lifters

I'm in the process of figuring out what bought. '72, 350. I wast told from the previous, previous owner, that he rebuilt the engine and it has a lunati voodoo cam. Which it does have a giant cam from the sound of things. Recently I believe a lifter went out, so I have begun to fix that. I'm going to get a dial micrometer and figure out what the lift is, but also wanted to see if what I've got looks all stock and what i could get away with. I'm guessing these are pressed in lifter studs, stock springs, and stock lifters? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by c673986; 05-12-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: forgot to list yr and motor size
c673986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Figuring out what I bought- What kind of lifters

Yup!!
Looks all stock!
Did you keep all the lifters numbered with each cam lobe?
You can't mix them up or install new ones on the cam. If you do you'll have a flat lobe.
Maybe you already have a flat lobe!
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I was going to advise going with threaded studs, but, after reading this, I will recommend installing stud girdles. The lift pressure with the Voodoo cam needs some help. http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threa...ker-arms.3251/

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
DieselSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T View Post
I was going to advise going with threaded studs, but, after reading this, I will recommend installing stud girdles. The lift pressure with the Voodoo cam needs some help. http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threa...ker-arms.3251/
Stud girdles aren't going to do anything for pressed-in factory studs. He really needs to convert to screw-in.

If you didn't mark where you removed the lifters from, throw them away now and go buy a new set. If you put them back in different holes you will wipe them out along with the cam.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
raceman6135
Dino burner

There are currently six different Voodoo camshafts made by Lunati for the Gen I small block Chevrolet. OP may or may not need to upgrade the rocker arm studs, valve springs, etc.

OP will need to use a dial indicator to measure the camshaft lobe that had the lifter that "went out" to determine if the lobe got wiped.

If the camshaft is OK, then he can drop in a new lifter, properly lubricated, and then follow the regular break-in procedure. Sure, he might be able to get away without doing the break-in procedure, but why risk it?

Also, at the very least, new oil and filter should be used after installing the new lifter. There are many different opinions on whether the entire engine should be stripped, cleaned of all possible metal filings (however small) from the failed parts, and then reassembled. Others will just use a magnetic drain plug and change the oil and filter two or three times over the next 500 to 1000 miles to get rid of the majority of metallic particles.

I'm the kind of guy that wants to know WHY did the lifter fail? Sometimes it's faulty heat treat on that lifter; sometimes it's a mechanical interference in that cylinder's valvetrain that causes problems; sometimes the lifter stops rotating in its bore because of dirt, sludge, mechanical interference (like a burr).

Lots of times, a new lifter can be dropped in, you fire it up, and just continue on your merry way for thousands of miles.

Once OP returns with more info, he can get some more recommendations, but I agree with the other posters that believe that's an all stock valvetrain and is suitable only for the mildest versions of the Voodoo camshaft.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote