The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board > 99-06 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
whitels1

The Six Hunnet Dalla Crawla Hala!

The intro -
In a world full of large problems, my little problem is how to get my K10 crawler to other states without getting pulled over, recover it from the trail head in case of damage, and one that will be able to tow my travel trailer etc. One of my squares Goldy a K20 was moving towards pulling my K10 on a car trailer but then what about lodging and do I really have enough tow capacity with a heavy trailer, truck, and all my gear etc.

The gears started spinning in my head when one guy in my 4x4 club pulled up to a run in Utah with his Ford Superduty 550 flatbed, jeep on the back and travel trailer in tow. I had pretty much ruled it out because I wasn't going to be able to afford a rig like that, but then another friend from my 4x4 club got an old Ford 550 flatbed for a good price. After that I was steady browsing craigslist for something that would fit the bill and as usual I have no budget for my current builds let alone add another.

One truck I was seriously considering was a 71 C50 tilt flatbed, had a 350 / Sm465. After thinking about for a while I decided that driving a dump truck with no a/c, would be cool and all but not something I would want on a 10 hour drive. The tires would be expensive, and the wife would not want it on the side of the house.

Still browsing, up poped a 2005 Silverado 3500, 6.0L / 4L80E, 13' flat bed 250k miles for $1500. The listing said:
Pro's - Engine rebuilt 2 years ago, Runs
Con's - Transmission overheats, seat torn

I can live with those con's but not the price. The pictures were horrible in the listing, and the truck was ugly, so I kept an eye on it and hoped for the best. Price dropped to $1200 and I finally sent and e-mail and asked if they would consider $600 bucks. Nothing for a few days and finally a reply "Still want the truck? Someone stole the hood and grill, I will take $600". I replied Sold! The next day I got all the paperwork to the DMV and all good, a movement permit and I was off to pick up the truck. It made the trip across tow, ran rough and made noise but that a/c blew cold..... More in the videos!

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
whitels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
Greenlee

Re: The Six Hunnet Dalla Crawla Hala!

Nice rig! I always enjoy your projects. You stole it at $600!!!
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
whitels1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Nice rig! I always enjoy your projects. You stole it at $600!!!
Thanks, I appreciate you following along. I think it was a good deal, the only one I could afford really. Hopefully just a few minor things, much elbow grease and she will be good as new...

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
daddyjeep

I will be following along with this one. It should make a really cool hauler.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
whitels1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
I will be following along with this one. It should make a really cool hauler.
Thanks! I think it will fit the bill, well after some elbow grease!

Last night I got out and cleaned up the interior, I could probably spend another 3 days cleaning but it's better.

And the video.

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
Greenlee

Looking good! Not to create more work for you, but I bet if you laid that carpet out on your driveway and power washed it, it will turn out looking like new.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
whitels1

Quote:
Looking good! Not to create more work for you, but I bet if you laid that carpet out on your driveway and power washed it, it will turn out looking like new.
Thanks and I think you are right! I will have the seats out for a while and that might be a good/easier way. Last night I got out and started working on pulling the flex plate. I ended up having to remove the y-pipe, so I figured I might as well address the broken manifold bolts. Hopefully the bolts are enjoying the WD I gently sprayed on them and will be in a good mood when I go to remove them!

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
whitels1

I have been making progress, although slow progress. Replaced the busted up flex plate and extracted two broken off exhaust manifold bolts.

Flex plate was pretty straight forward, however I pretty much figured out the reason the flex plate cracked was the missing alignment dowel on the driver side and the trans mount missing a bolt and loose.

The whole center was busted out, I can't believe it drove across town lol

I ended up using the weld method on the one that was broken off flush, it actually worked.

The video

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave

Last edited by whitels1; 08-10-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
whitels1

Back Together and running smooth!

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
Old 08-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #10
whitels1

The engine had a whine, so I pulled off the belt and isolated it to the power steering pump. Sucked the nasty fluid out and refilled it with a few ounces of Lucas power steering stop leak / lube and fresh power steering fluid. It pretty much took all of the noise away. Dropped the trans pan and the fluid was busted! Not a crazy amount of material in the pan.

Popped in a new filter and some fresh synthetic, hopefully she will hold up for a few if I take it easy. Lastly I changed the oil, figured out that the block is an 07 and required the 22mm filter not the 13/16th.

I couldn't take it anymore and had to address the back window, which required cutting off the rack thing behind the bed.

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
Greenlee

Looking good!

I think you increased the value just by removing the wooden rear window. I'm sure that turned some Craigslist buyers away.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 AM   #12
whitels1

Quote:
Looking good!

I think you increased the value just by removing the wooden rear window. I'm sure that turned some Craigslist buyers away.
That was the definition of ghetto fab! lol

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
Old 08-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #13
whitels1

Been pushing hard on the Hauler, I pretty much realized I will not make my Moab trip due to just too much stuff to do and buy! That's ok, plenty more wheelin trips in the future. I'm having fun working on this and might as well not rush.

Got some new glass installed, I was happy with how that turned out. Makes the truck look a lot better.

Then I got to removing the rear decking, not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

And finally, replaced the leaky rear wheel seal, repaired the oil sender wiring, installed a junk yard oxygen sensor and figured out how I'm going to lengthen the bed to get the K10 on it.

Not much left!

Looks better, I still need new rotors, but it's not leaking, has new park brake shoes, and will have new pads when I get the correct ones.

I talk about in the video how I will modify the bed so the K10 will fit, basically I'm going to slide the bed back about 24", then I won't have to add a bunch of material and weight to it.

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
Old 08-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #14
Greenlee

Looking good! I like the idea of sliding the bed back and putting tool boxes or something up front.

I wonder why they had all that plywood screwed to the deck. I thought you would find big holes, but it didn't look like it was too bad under there.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
whitels1

Quote:
Looking good! I like the idea of sliding the bed back and putting tool boxes or something up front.

I wonder why they had all that plywood screwed to the deck. I thought you would find big holes, but it didn't look like it was too bad under there.
I think it will work out, it will need a bit of support under it in the rear. When I'm done moving it, I plan to make it strictly bolt in, so I can move it in the future if needed.

There were a few holes under the plywood but no gaping holes.

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
Old 10-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
daddyjeep

Dude... Where have you been?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:18 AM   #17
whitels1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Dude... Where have you been?
Still working on the truck, but just not much time to post. I have been making videos all along if you wanna check them out. Here

Where I'm at now is the bed is all repaired and mostly painted. Lighting installed, LED markers, ID bar and alien tail lights to match the K10. New grill and polished up the headlights.

I have also been driving around the last few days and I dig it!

Still to do - Brakes, build ramps and redeck the flatbed

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave