The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
jakeblues652

Re: Thinking about starting a mud pit place...Need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
Lol i know what you mean, all the places around hear that you can go mudding are wellll lets just say were not suppose to be there
we really dont even have many places. maybe 1 or 2 within 20-30 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Did you figure out how to fix it?...I mean with other than a BFH?!

want to see some slow progress on my truck? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436560 <-click there
jakeblues652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #27
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeblues652 View Post
we really dont even have many places. maybe 1 or 2 within 20-30 miles.
We were ridding by a place that was about 3 miles from our shop which was awesome and we'd go down there everyday, it was owned by a construction company that had stored piles of gravel and another spot across the road had a sand hill about 4 stories high and climbing that thing it felt like you were going to flip backwards, and another spot that i think was honestly just a play spot for there toys because of all the tracks and the way it was set up it was a blast everyday. After a while it was filled with random people flying around in there vehicals just destroying everything and not respecting the guys property and i figures somebody probably got hurt and so now they made it clear nobody was allowed out there just goes to show even a small amount stupid people can ruin it for everybody.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #28
jakeblues652

theres one place like 60-70 miles from me, and there are these gravel hills over 4-500 feet high, and people take their dirt bikes and quads there sometimes (private property) and you should see those guys!! they literally look at the sky on their way up. i'd NEVER attempt anything like they do..but i've also seen enough guys go over backwards, and meet their bike at the bottom

Quote:

want to see some slow progress on my truck? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436560 <-click there
Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #29
treveiger

Quote:
theres one place like 60-70 miles from me, and there are these gravel hills over 4-500 feet high, and people take their dirt bikes and quads there sometimes (private property) and you should see those guys!! they literally look at the sky on their way up. i'd NEVER attempt anything like they do..but i've also seen enough guys go over backwards, and meet their bike at the bottom
Yep thats what we were doing but it wasnt that high like where your at, right at the top of the sand hill there was about a 5ft straight up shot and there was people at the top that would grab the quads front end and pull it down because at the top of the hill the quads would be standing straight up with my quad i got to the top but couldnt get over the straight up part because i kept getting sunk into the sand and it was not fun having to go backwards back down the hill, i use to have pictures of it but when my phone broke i lost them all. Do you ride bikes or quads?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #30
jakeblues652

Quote:
Yep thats what we were doing but it wasnt that high like where your at, right at the top of the sand hill there was about a 5ft straight up shot and there was people at the top that would grab the quads front end and pull it down because at the top of the hill the quads would be standing straight up with my quad i got to the top but couldnt get over the straight up part because i kept getting sunk into the sand and it was not fun having to go backwards back down the hill, i use to have pictures of it but when my phone broke i lost them all. Do you ride bikes or quads?
quads. right now i have a 2010 polaris sportsman 500. i like bikes, but how are you going to go through a mud hole with one of them?

Quote:

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #31
treveiger

Quote:
quads. right now i have a 2010 polaris sportsman 500. i like bikes, but how are you going to go through a mud hole with one of them?
My brother was into bike ive always been into quads, my brother did some mudding on his bike, needless to say it was interesting to watch . I like mudding, climbing hills, plowing through snow and things like that and so quads are perfect for me.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #32
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Lol i know what you mean, all the places around hear that you can go mudding are wellll lets just say were not suppose to be there

What do you mean? Can you explain more?
Thanks
what part?
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #33
379redneck

Quote:
why dont you move closer to me and start a mud hole ???? id love to have one around here!!! sounds like it would be a pretty sick hole if it gets going.
x2. jakeblues652, i think i looked at that truck not too long ago, was it for sale on route 11 in larksville?
379redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #34
jakeblues652

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379redneck View Post
x2. jakeblues652, i think i looked at that truck not too long ago, was it for sale on route 11 in larksville?
it was about 100 miles south. i met up with the guy in an industrial park in Quakertown. i found an old pink slip that said it came from Reading before that, so its almost been all the way through PA in the past few years. i know that the P.O lived in Allentown.

Quote:

Old 01-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #35
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
what part?
Treating it like a business and the legal fees? Do you mean dont just let people go out there and screw around?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #36
MTCK

Even if you get a waiver they can still sue you. It will cost $$$ to defend the lawsuit, even if you are right, and have the waiver to back it up.

The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency - Feds) regulates the water that runs off of your site. An obvious byproduct of mud, is muddy water. Muddy, or even dark colored water running of your site can lead to huge fines, as stated before. The Army Corps of Engineers regulates wetlands, and the disturbing, or filling in of wetlands. You REALLY don't want to run afoul of these guys. They require permits, wetlands delineations etc. Then there is the zoning issue - that deals with your local government.

The first two federal agencies will fine you into poverty or throw you in jail or both. The locals will likely just shut you down.

Not to discourage you, but land development the purpose of running a business, is not a game for the faint of heart or shallow of pocket. You will incur big costs, and need a solid business plan to make sure it pays off while controlling your liability.

How does anybody farm or mine? Most agriculture and mines are exempt for the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System, but land development and construction are not.

http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/index.cfm

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck

Last edited by MTCK; 01-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #37
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

If it is a naturally occurring wetland, you could also have problems with the migratory bird protection act. Simply stated: If migratory birds could reside/breed there, don't disturb it.

It is kind of overwhelming, but I think we all just want to make sure you don't end up getting the shaft for just trying to let people have fun.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #38
treveiger

O no im glad you guys are telling me this because i really dont want to get huge fines out there for random stuff i had no idea about, next spring when we go out and see what its really like is when itll be the deciding factor on what we do because the land is always flooded specially with all the moister weve been getting up here. Ill have to go to the county office and talk to them about what all laws are out there, we have to go out there anyway to ask about building a house on it or something on those lines.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #39
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf9653 View Post
If it is a naturally occurring wetland, you could also have problems with the migratory bird protection act. Simply stated: If migratory birds could reside/breed there, don't disturb it.

It is kind of overwhelming, but I think we all just want to make sure you don't end up getting the shaft for just trying to let people have fun.
This.

My friends and I got in trouble taking a shovel to our local river and letting it drain into a corn field for some duck hunting. They where not friendly, and where extremely pissed. I almost lost my hunting license for this, along with 25,000 dollars. We also let it drain back into the river, so the farmer wouldn't have a huge mud-pit to deal with. He was okay with the whole ordeal until I got a phone call.

I remember vividly how the muddy, silty water would get into the river and "disturb" the wildlife, along with the corn that could float down stream. Apparently noxious weeds as well.

It took 3 days and me and my friends to get it fixed. They said they where easy on us because we where 16 at the time.

---

Our mudpit is where a naturally occuring spring is, or a leak in the transtate canal. We're not sure, but it makes a boggy sticky mess.

I think your best choice may be loading up a old water truck up and finding a low spot in your pasture and spray it down for a few days.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #40
treveiger

O wow thats insane, good thing they went "easy" on you. There is mounds out there but im not sure what they are im assuming its some form of wildlife. I know you never want to tick off the goverment...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #41
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Yeah, probably better to make a drier area wet than to disturb a wetland. Not as much concerns with runnoff and destruction of nesting/breeding sites. That and you'd be more likely to have a bottom. The wet areas can be several feet of muck.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #42
treveiger

Ya i honeslty cant see there being a bottom where its at .
Posted via Mobile Device