The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Longmire85

2000 CCSB Rescue Project: "Doube D"

What's Up fellow Tailgaters!

My name is Chris, and I am semi-new to this forum, but not other forums or trucks in general. Since this is my first post here I'll take a minute to introduce myself. My older brother (by 20 years lol) has been into to trucks since he was a little boy. He was around for the late 70's and early 80's when the custom truck and van scene really started to flourish, and has been slamming and racing them ever since. At one point his garage at the house was dubbed "The House of Low." Naturally, his love for trucks has been passed on to his sons and myself. If it has a tailgate, we dig it. We are definitely one of those families with way too many projects, as our shop currently stores about 20 trucks. But hey, you can't ever have just one right?

So, its been a while since I got onto the forums and shared a project. However, this one should be worth sharing by the time its said and done. Plus, its always a great way to record your progress for future reference. So here goes:

My wife and I are expecting our second baby, and it was really time for a "baby hauler." Being 6'3", an extended cab wasn't going to do with two car seats in the back. This was the perfect excuse to find myself a OBS CCSB. I searched and searched for a budget builder, when I came across this one. A 2000 C2500 CCSB. The motor and transmission ran and shifted great, but the appearance was less than decent. It came with a 3" body lift which was one of the first things I removed. This poor truck had clearly been mistreated by its previous owners. What I basically got was a good frame, cab, motor, and tranny. Everything, else, including the interior was trashed. But hey, I only paid $2300 for the rig, so no complaints. I have purchased my replacement
parts from various donor trucks of the same color. After getting it back together, I plan on a 5/7 drop (keeping it 8 lug), and eventually swapping the old Vortech with a LS/LQ motor. I will post the "before" and "during" pictures I have right now, and will add new ones as I have time to make progress. If you have made it this far, I appreciate you taking the time to read! Now lets get on with some pictures!

Here are the before shots:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The "During" Pictures
This is where I am at as of July 27th, 2014. I will purchase my bed, fenders, and other misc. parts this week so I can start putting her back together.

Longmire85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
LEEVON

Re: 2000 CCSB Rescue Project: "Doube D"

Welcome! Very nice start, you definitely have your work cut out for you on this one.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Angryman117

They must have beat that poor truck. Looks like it's in good hands now. Make sure you check out the LSX swap section. Good luck!
Angryman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Low Elco

Damn, were they in some sort of contest? You're doin' the Lord's work, but it looks like it has good bones. Seems to be in good hands now. I love these things, I gotta see this!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Longmire85

Thanks gentlemen. I have seen and worked on trucks that were in rough shape, but this one just had a laundry list of cosmetic issues. The only real way to do it was strip it down and start over. It ought to be a fun rig when its all said and done.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Longmire85

Well, I got my bed, fenders, and bumpers picked up today. I am replacing the fuel pump and sending unit tonight before the bed goes back on (might as well). The bumpers I picked up are "ding free" work truck bumpers (No trim). Finding a set without dents was a challenge lol. I will paint the bumpers and grille body color, and then remove the side molding for a cleaner look. Its time to start putting her back together!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
95 S_Trucker

Sounds like its gonna be nice truck. I like that you are keeping it 8-lug
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Low Elco

Good clean parts!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Longmire85

Yeah I played around with the idea of doing a 6 lug conversion since my wheel options would increase ten fold. But, slamming a rig on 8 lugs that can still tow a trailer is pretty appealing. As for wheels, I think that I'm going to have a set of 05 Duramax rims dipped or powder coated black. I think it would look pretty damn cool. I may have to keep it stock height for a little bit after getting it back together since we have our second baby on the way. But, for grins I'm going to post something in the Photoshop section and see what they can come up with.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
95 S_Trucker

What are Duramax wheels? I was only aware that gm made 1 alloy wheel for 8 lug from 99-07.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Longmire85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
What are Duramax wheels? I was only aware that gm made 1 alloy wheel for 8 lug from 99-07.
Lol its habit. I call them "Duramax" Wheels because they commonly came on the diesels. Most everybody here on the forum will know what I mean by "05 GM 8 Lug Alloys." But with friends or co-workers, most people respond with "oh, like work truck wheels?"

So then I have to explain, "No, like the nice wheels that came on the Duramax Trucks." So, over time I have come to call the two styles "work truck" and "Duramax" wheels.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
95 S_Trucker

Idk. Steel, chrome, and alloy. I have worked on plenty of duramax trucks that had steel wheels. And plenty of 6.0 trucks that have the alloys.

And the first wheel you posted isn't a work truck wheel. A work truck wheel would be painted, not chrome clad.

I have a set of the alloys on my 99. It's a nice lightweight wheel.

I do like that you are using 16" wheels. I am personally not a fan of big wheels. Looks like it will be a nice truck when you are done.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #13
95 S_Trucker

And you might want to look into putting Tahoe seats in the rear. They fold flat and are very handy. It was one of the first things I did to my ccsb. I never understood why gm didn't make the rear seats fold down in these trucks.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
tattoed71

I have the same year same color going 6 lug
Old 08-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
Hankster

Seems like you got a nice plan, looks like you'll have a nice truck once you get it cleaned up and get some straight panels on it! I like it!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #16
Longmire85

Quote:
And you might want to look into putting Tahoe seats in the rear. They fold flat and are very handy. It was one of the first things I did to my ccsb. I never understood why gm didn't make the rear seats fold down in these trucks.
I purchased a clean rear seat out of a Dually from the junk yard. I didn't consider the Tahoe seats though. I'll have to see if I can find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoed71 View Post
I have the same year same color going 6 lug
Your wheel options will be much easier lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
Seems like you got a nice plan, looks like you'll have a nice truck once you get it cleaned up and get some straight panels on it! I like it!
Thanks. I'm just waiting on my fuel pump and A/C parts to come in before putting it back together. I couldn't NOT replace the pump with the bed already off. Same for all the A/C components under the dash. I ordered a new heater core, evaporator, and both actuators. I don't plan on dropping this dash again so might as well replace this stuff while its accessible.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #17
Chevy-Art

Quote:
Do the Tahoe seats just bolt on or do you have to drill some other holes?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
Hankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longmire85 View Post
Thanks. I'm just waiting on my fuel pump and A/C parts to come in before putting it back together. I couldn't NOT replace the pump with the bed already off. Same for all the A/C components under the dash. I ordered a new heater core, evaporator, and both actuators. I don't plan on dropping this dash again so might as well replace this stuff while its accessible.
Makes sense, I mean I would do it too!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Subscribed. Glad I'm not the only crazy one

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
Low Elco

What's up on this?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #21
Longmire85

Ok fellas. I am sorry for taking so long on posting some update pics. The truck has been put back together and I have been driving it daily. She still needs some small things fixed like outside door handles, some power switches, the Climate Control replaced, windows re-tinted, etc. The donor body parts I found matched up pretty good, but she will still need a paint job and some minor body work down the road when things get a little more serious. I am pleased with how the grille and bumpers turned out (Duplicolor Rattle Can). The next big thing on my list is the 5/7 drop which should get done hopefully sometime before Christmas. I have enjoyed the hell out of this rig so far and really can't wait to give her the altitude adjustment she so desperately needs

My daughter even got to enjoy the rebuild a little lol
Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #22
Low Elco

Right on! Glad to see it back on the road.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #23
Longmire85

Here is a very rough and quick Photoshop edit of what my rig would look like with a 5/7 drop. Obviously the photo edit is a rough estimation. I'm digging it though.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #24
Longmire85

So I just ordered my 5/7 lowering kit from DJM and I'm getting pretty excited. I also found myself a Escalade/Denali Center Console for dirt cheap at the junk yard. It needs to be painted, which I will do tonight most likely, but I only paid $25 for it, so no complaints. I also took the armrest to my upholstery guy and had him re-cover it with factory cloth so it will match. I may go crazy with the interior down the road, but for now I'm happy with the stock cloth, and this center arm rest should be a nice and subtle "custom" touch lol.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #25
YBNORML

Looking good! I'm interested in seeing how that console turns out.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote