The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
gearboxx70

Oil? We don't need no stinking oil!

Changed my oil in the '67 Burb (aka Typhoid Mary) today. First oil change since I bought it from PO. Before changing the oil, I pulled the dipstick to check the level...about 1/3 of a qt. low. Not bad.
Drained the oil, pulled the filter, plugged the pan, put in new filter, and checked the manuals (both Haynes and Chiltons because I like to have all the info I can). Manuals say 6 qts. for my 292, so I go with 5 til I crank it over for a minute. (The dipstick read just over full, and the filter was still empty.)
Start her up to fill the filter, shut her down, wait a few minutes, and check the dipstick again. Still over the full mark! WTH?!
I poured the old oil from the pan into the empty bottles. Got barely 3 qts. Ummmmm... With what could still be in the filter I already drained into the pan, that's MAX 3.5 qts. Again...WTH?!
I rechecked both manuals...6 qts. So I put in the last qt. figuring it has the wrong dipstick. (Alot can happen in the last 40+ years!)

Onto the gas gauge issue... It reads at 3 o'clock for the last week. After some reading on many other posts here, I'm armed with enough info I can act like I know what I'm doing. Started checking wires and plugs. Plugs are dirty and corroded, so I clean those up and squeeze in a little dialectric grease for good measure. Follow the wires under the floor, and Oooops! The sender + wire isn't connected to the sender. Sigh! Now I just have to decide whether to cut an access hole in the floor or drop the tank.
gearboxx70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Street Smart

Re: Oil? We don't need no stinking oil!

It`s not that bad to lower the tank on the passengers side and leave the filler hose on. Just support the tank and lower it enough to get your hands in there.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Do this....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=5233558

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
gearboxx70

@ LockDoc
I thought about cutting the access hole, but don't think I want to do it for 2 reasons...

#1 The tank was replaced by the previous owner, and I have no idea if the measurements you give will line up with the sending unit now, &...

#2 I often carry alot of tools (I'm a carpenter), and alot of weight in the form of odd shapes in the back. I'm worried about not having the flat floor I have now (if I hinge it), or one of those odd shapes actually pushing the access door through to the tank.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
gearboxx70

@ Street Smart

I think I'll try that. Hopefully, I'll have enough room to pull the old pos. terminal connector off. The wire appears to have broke off right at the old connector.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
gearboxx70

So I finally got around to the gas gauge issue today...

I took Street Smart's advise (due to reasons mentioned above), and dropped the tank from underneath. I have to say, it was all pretty smooth! The wire broke off right at the connector which was originally soldered on, as near as I can tell. I didn't have a female bullet-style connector in my little boxes of tricks, so I had to wing it. I found a factory-style plug that was a female/male bullet combo encased in rubber. I cut away the rubber on the female side to get the connector out. Then I carefully pried the connector apart to get what was left of the wire out. Got a couple pieces of shrink tubing, the connector, and some tools, and went back under for some fun with copper wire. Since the wire was a little stiff and showed some green at the end, I cut off 3 inches, stripped it back, put on the "new" connector, and slapped it all back together!

To stick with the thread that one problem leads to another... While I was farting around with the gas tank, I found the tailpipe to be just resting loosely in the muffler. The only thing really holding it in place is the hanger behind the rear axle. But that project gets to go on the back burner for awhile. I'm waiting on the funds to get the factory 307 rebuilt and put back in my fiance's Nova. Then the 350 goes into the burb. At that point, I'll need a new exhaust set up anyway.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Street Smart

KOOL, I`m glad it worked out for you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
donthekawguy

You might have the wrong dipstick in your Burb. If the pan isnt bent in and you use the correct filter and the book says 6 quarts you need 6. I would change the oil again, put in 6 quarts and mark the stick where the top of the oil level is after starting it. Then you will know its right when you check the oil. Then at each oil change use 6 quarts.