The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2005, 03:50 AM   #1
HeavyD

Repo floor pan, cab support quality

Hi. The huge holes in my floor are really starting to get annoying, so I think I am going to have the floorpans, rockers, cab corners, and cab supports replaced soon. Has anyone had any luck with using repo pans, cab supports and cab corners? Do the lines on the floor line up Ok? I am going to buy GM rockers, but do the repo cab supports and corners fit well? The driver side floor (gas pedal area) has a hole big enough that my foot can go through if there is not a thick rubber mat there for support...will the new pans be OK or should I look for another cab? I really want the repaired areas to look good and not be obvious from 50 ft.
BTW, I haven't checked for cowl rust yet..will do that tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
matthufham

jc whitney is great. buy the needed sections or get a kit with everything, cut them to size, cut out the old rusty metal, weld in the new. i did that with a 77 and plan to do the rockers and supports on the 72. welding is the best option, but you can rivot them in.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
us111

cab repair

HELLO,,i can tell you a little bit that might help,tried doing mine,(not even a body man) and learned alot even though i ended up getting another cab.lol.the part's you buy are fairly good metal but do not go into it with the idea that everything just fit's in and you weld it..absolutely nothing i bought fit exact,,bend here,cut there,hammer here etc.point is you have to make everything fit,and not being a body man i finnally gave up.but that's not to say don't try it,just don't expect to buy the part's and they will fit perfect.not gonna happen.efabman had some great instuction vid's that i wish i had bought.good luck
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

I recently heard the floor section pieces are going to be available in larger panels very soon.
The guy who has my cab heard that through his supplier, www.shermanparts.com

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
hotrodmtodd
'Burban Legend

New Slogan

Heavy,
I've got a new slogan for you: You can take the man out of PA, but you can't take the PA salt out of the mans floorpans. Sound about right? What part of our sylvania are you from? Hope you get back every now and then. Take care, Hot Rod (Mike)
'68 McLaren Ramp Truck
'68/'68/'70/'71 Burbs 292/366/402/454
'69 C-30 dump
'71 C-50 dump and church bus
'71 4x4 454
'72 Blazer (w/pop-up camper) $15 x-hooks
'66 Chevy II 194/Weber
'68 El Camino" 305v6
'69 Skylark 455 Buick
'70 Chevelle 427
'71 Cutlass W-31
'71 GTO 400 2x2
"The 51" Chopped '51 Chevy (409) my first car

OK Toad, we'll take 'em all... John Milner
hotrodmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
StingRay

Floor pans will need tweaking but are miles ahead of starting with flat tin if you have larger sections to replace. Other parts depending on where you get them and your individual cab could vary between a perfect fit to tweaking required. I used nos rockers and the rest came from Scott's. I have an above average amature bodywork skill level so I didn't find any of the parts to be less than expected and was easily able to work with them. It is not a job for the amature that is faint of heart though. It's alot of work to do floors, supports, rockers and corners. It also will take alot of time and alot of tools especially if you've never done this kind of work before. If you undertake it I'd be happy to pass along everything I've learned on mine. Next time you are in town give me a call and I can dig out the cab as it's burried in the shop while I'm renovating it. You can look at it and see what to do and what you can expect.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Be preparred to "Modify" them to fit if you don't want it to be obvious from 50 feet.

My experience with Floor/Supports/Rockers/Kicks/Corners was that they don't fit perfectly and will need to be tweaked/coaxed/hammered/cut/welded/streched into place to even make them look "natural"

as was stated above it is not a job for the true amature.

see pictures of my rocker modifications @ www.autoeta.com and type in "654321" in the blank that askes for a VIN. There are pictures of my Passenger side rocker install and how i had to slice the weatherstrip lip off the back side and move it over so that the outer rocker would match the curve of the cab corner/bottom of the door.

efabman even says sometimes it will take to replacement panels to make it look right.

I think mine came out pretty good but am not entirely happy with the end results. I think I could have spent more time on it and made them even better. but it takes alot of work to make it look like no-one patched anything
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
HeavyD

Hmm. Maybe I should leave this to a body guy..I am pretty picky, and want to have it look as close to "never-repaired" as possible. So it is possible for a competent person to make everything look good, with enough panels? Since I got this thing its been a toss up to fix or buy another cab. maybe I will post a few pics and see what you guys think. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
dubie

Hey Dalton, Scotts sells very nice quality repro sheetmetal. One of the guys at work here bought his cab corners, rockers and supports from him and they are way better than the jobber aftermarket ones I used. If they come to you and they are black, send em back, but if they are a grey color, you wanna keep em, those are the good ones. As far as welding goes, as long as you have a gas MIG welder and can make nice even tack welds, you got er made. Just don't make the same stupid mistake I did and cut all the rockers and can corners out and then leave it sit a while. Everything twisted up on the B pillar and was a ***** to straighten. It's no where near perfect but i could care less on this truck. This was just a beater fix up

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote