The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
72longstepper

First Time Putting On Rockers and Inner Floor Patch Panels

Hello Yet Again,

Quick question: Cab corners were previously done but both sides are "loose" .
Should I tack them both solid before I weld in everything else ?
I was thinking of drilling holes in cab as bed is off and tacking.
72longstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: First Time Putting On Rockers and Inner Floor Patch Panels

You have four or five spot weld going along the backside .that goes to the floor patch, they are on an angle and pretty easy to see, I think you can weld them up about any time in fact I welded mine after I had done the outers. I took some small screws and placed them between the spot holes to pull the back panel all the way to the floor patch, Once you weld up the spots pull out the screws and then weld them up too. Even if your not replacing the B-pillar I would cut it out so to make it easier to get the floor in. One thing I would sugest before starting this job is to get a spot weld breaker tool. Ihave both the ones made by STECK and love their stuff. Of course I own a bodyshop and have been building wrecks for 30 years. plus I just did a floor patch A and B pillar toe panels on a 69 two weeks ago it is still on the tipper flipper dolly in my shop. If you need help holler. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
72longstepper

TYVM for taking the time to reply. I will do what you said and get back to you.
Am going to tack weld everything then test fit door etc. I am doing both front and rear pillars and got scared because of the movement in the back one and thinking the "gap" would be to big.
Quick question----the front (inside) fencer brace patch piece that would bolt onto the plate on the floor brace does not line up with the hole in the outer floor patch panel. Do you not have to bolt that on when replacing the outer floor panel I have pictured? The piece I am referring to is in first picture laying on the cab floor by the angle grinder.
Attached Images

Last edited by 72longstepper; 09-17-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
hugger6933

That piece should be on the A pillar replacement part, The holes will bolt up to the cab mount, If you NOT changing the front cab mount get your patch in and the a pillar and drill from the underside from the cab mounts or try my method feel the hole and try to match the location with the drill from the out side. I think a step drill bit and 1/8 inch double ended drill bits are almost a necessity. Hang in there and good luck
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
72longstepper

Will do. Thanks yet again. Cab mounts were what I will call acceptable. I cleaned them up and shot Eastwood Rust Stuff up inside. I remember that small part had been bolted on but now the holes are off, so I will just drill new holes like you said to do.