The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #226
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

A little update on the engine. After getting the thermostat swapped to the 180 and the coolant back in, me and my brother pushed the truck out of the garage onto the angled driveway. (might help with getting the air out)

With a pump of the pedal and the turn of the key the truck fired right up.

For burping of the cooling system I purchased one of the spill free funnels from princess auto which I thought would make the job a little easier and less messy then the previous adventure.

We let the truck idle for about 30 minutes and I'm pretty sure that now there is no air left in the system. The electric fan was kicking on/off and the truck temp sitting in the driveway was around 185 instead of 210 and over.

After the system was bled I put on the new rad cap and let it idle a little longer before pulling it into the garage. I checked it through out the evening and I had no hissing coming from the rad cap. I'm not sure if I let it idle long enough with the new cap on but I would have expected some fluid in the overflow tank. It's still empty for now.

Once I have a chance I will upload another video of it idling. Even thought it has a single exhaust on the truck it sounds dam mean. For what ever reason at this moment I cant remember if I put a 2.5" or 3" exhaust on it with a dynamax supertubro muffler on it.

I might have to get my mechanic buddy to come over for another tune because I think it might be running a little rich.

When standing around the truck for a while makes you stink like exhaust. But I think that is just the way the old cars/trucks were because you don't have a catalytic converter. Maybe someone can chime in on this?
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #227
dsraven

when the truck is cold, sitting on a level surface, pull the rad cap and check he level of the fluid. top up the rad and the overflow tank as required. next time you run the truck rev it up to about 2-2500 rpm for a minute, with a few quick shots up to the 3000 rpm range, allowing it to come down to idle after thoise blips, so the water pump can flow the coolant through everything well. sometimes idle is not enough flow for the pump to overcome the high spots in the system. warm it up and let it sit over night again to cool off well. recheck the level of the rad and overflow again when it's cold. I remember you saying there is no heater so you are probably good since there is no other places to keep air trapped except in the engine. sounds like you got it this time.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #228
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
when the truck is cold, sitting on a level surface, pull the rad cap and check he level of the fluid. top up the rad and the overflow tank as required. next time you run the truck rev it up to about 2-2500 rpm for a minute, with a few quick shots up to the 3000 rpm range, allowing it to come down to idle after thoise blips, so the water pump can flow the coolant through everything well. sometimes idle is not enough flow for the pump to overcome the high spots in the system. warm it up and let it sit over night again to cool off well. recheck the level of the rad and overflow again when it's cold. I remember you saying there is no heater so you are probably good since there is no other places to keep air trapped except in the engine. sounds like you got it this time.
There was plenty of truck rev going on lol. I'll re-check the rad and put a little fluid in the overflow tank to cover the bottom of the hose. I'll top up as necessary.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #229
NeoJuice

Thought I would post a video update. Still working on my brake issue but hopefully that will be resolved this weekend. Sounds pretty mean for a single exhaust.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BCa9hN5qPyCJ6zU37
Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #230
dsraven

sounds good.
now quit wasting time and get the brakes done so you can drive it. haha.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #231
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoJuice View Post
When standing around the truck for a while makes you stink like exhaust. But I think that is just the way the old cars/trucks were because you don't have a catalytic converter. Maybe someone can chime in on this?
I love how your engine sounds now.

With a carbureted engine, prolonged idling as you have been doing will make lots of unburned fuel come out the exhaust, especially with a cam like yours that's made to turn on at higher RPM. You can adjust your idle mix screws to minimize it, but I assume you won't be idling so much in the future now that you have your cooling systems burped.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #232
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I love how your engine sounds now.

With a carbureted engine, prolonged idling as you have been doing will make lots of unburned fuel come out the exhaust, especially with a cam like yours that's made to turn on at higher RPM. You can adjust your idle mix screws to minimize it, but I assume you won't be idling so much in the future now that you have your cooling systems burped.
Thanks I think it sounds pretty good. A long journey from where it started that's for sure.

When I filmed the video there was no smell any longer. The smell I was describing was from another time I had the truck running probably before this video. This time it seemed to burn pretty clean and no exhaust smell. I dont know if maybe it could have been some carbon build up in the motor that finally burnt off. The motor has only been run a handful of times after sitting for god knows how many years. Before I hit the road I'll get my buddy to re-check the timing and carb to make sure everything is good.

I let it idle for about 20-30 minutes because I wanted to be sure the fan was kicking on/off and the temp was keeping good cooling which it was. I also wanted to make sure everything was working properly and my over flow bottle filled up to about 1/2 way. Then when i parked it to let it cool down it sucked it almost all back in so I know that's working good.

Sounds pretty mean for a single exhaust IMO.

Last edited by NeoJuice; 06-13-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:18 PM   #233
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
sounds good.
now quit wasting time and get the brakes done so you can drive it. haha.
Working on it lol.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #234
evilokc

in the first video it was hard to start. is it still that hard to start? I have a 350 with a cam and a few minor mods with a quick fuel carb and it fires like it angry. it sounds similar to yours as well. cool truck btw. the rally wheels look good on it.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #235
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
in the first video it was hard to start. is it still that hard to start? I have a 350 with a cam and a few minor mods with a quick fuel carb and it fires like it angry. it sounds similar to yours as well. cool truck btw. the rally wheels look good on it.
In the very first video in the thread (page 1) that was me and my brother starting the truck for the first time. Previous to this I didn't know how many years it was since the truck was last started. Also you can see me pouring gas into the carb to try and get it running. This was after the manifold swap and carb rebuild so there was no fuel in any of the lines and no exhaust lol.

Now it starts up with a turn of the key now that the timing and carb are set. When I started it the last time(in the video i just posted) it took a bit to get it started because I think it sat for about a month and a half. But after it was running it fires right up with a turn of the key.

I like the rally wheels as well but might change them out for something different down the road but I haven't decided yet. Thanks for the complement.

Last edited by NeoJuice; 06-20-2019 at 05:33 PM.