The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
ApacheProject

Time for new exhaust for the 58

It’s time to get a new exhaust for my 58. It has a 283 engine and I plan to go dual. Any tips or ideas? It has stock ram style exhaust manifolds. I stuck on muffler type and brand. I don’t mind a little rumble but nothing too loud, plan to exit out the rear too. Thanks
ApacheProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Time for new exhaust for the 58

Are you going to have an exhaust shop do it? If so, I'd recommend finding an online photo of an exhaust system you like and take it to the shop.

When I had my exhaust done, I let the shop decide how to route it - after all, they're professionals, right? But they were overly influenced by new cars that have the pipes up high and tight. They put my exhaust inside the frame and much too close to the floor. It blocked maintenance access to many components as well as making the starter, floor, brake lines, etc too hot. I found a photo online, printed it, took it to the shop and had them re-do it.

Here's the pic I took them:
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
mr48chev

You have some good go to exhaust shops in that area. I'd find out which one does good work for an honest price and have them do it.

Years ago I bought the mufflers and tail pipes to fit the 70 long bed that I had though my work at warehouse price. That is the lowest price available as I worked for a parts house that was also a warehouse and was able to buy my parts at their cost. Didn't get paid much per hour but had some nice bennies. Even at those prices and just having the muffler shop install the lead pipes from the headers to the muffler I figured out that it would have been cheaper to have that shop sell me the mufflers and bend the tail pipes. Exhaust is one of those items I will farm out rather than do myself.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
You have some good go to exhaust shops in that area. I'd find out which one does good work for an honest price and have them do it.

Years ago I bought the mufflers and tail pipes to fit the 70 long bed that I had though my work at warehouse price. That is the lowest price available as I worked for a parts house that was also a warehouse and was able to buy my parts at their cost. Didn't get paid much per hour but had some nice bennies. Even at those prices and just having the muffler shop install the lead pipes from the headers to the muffler I figured out that it would have been cheaper to have that shop sell me the mufflers and bend the tail pipes. Exhaust is one of those items I will farm out rather than do myself.
I agree,we have just one muffler in a 75 mile radius,but when I did my 58 took it to him,he an old hot rod guy,did a wonderful job
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:49 AM   #5
ApacheProject

Well I definitely was planning on taking it to a shop, I should have mentioned that in the original post. I just wanted to avoid certain problems like the ones mentioned about muffler position and heat. I was hoping to see more pics of complete exhaust setups and types of mufflers used. Are people using box type mufflers theses days on these trucks or would longer cylinder shaped mufflers work best? I know I want to position them past the cab if possible, Also should a X or H pipe be used? Just asking, I still have to tackle the bed wood Install before I get the exhaust done.
The truck still has original 283 V8 and 3 on the tree, if that helps.
ApacheProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
_Ogre

all exhaust shop crush bend tubing, if your ok with... proceed
my preference is to like the picture above is done
buy a few straight lengths of aluminize tube and a few mandrel bends; cut and weld to fit
you save %75 of the cost of the shop, probably enough money saved to buy a welder

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
dsraven

a demo of mandrel compared to crush bending exhaust pipe. most muffler shops have the crush style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ygWTqOfA4
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
_Ogre

wow. that guy is a little full of himself

i did truk with 2.5" aluminized mandrel bends from summit as i finished the frame on truk
a couple years later my neighbor opened up a speed shop and bought a mandrel bender, he does only stainless in 2.5" & 3"
it's fairly easy to build your own exhaust with a cutoff wheel in a 4" grinder and a welder, i used fluxcore

Old 08-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
MiraclePieCo

I've done enough exhaust systems piecing together mandrel-bent sections. It's time-consuming, usually requiring many hours, even days, of laying on one's back under the car, micro-trimming and adjusting each piece - all for components that no one will ever see. And it can be debated that all the multiple pieces and welds every few inches actually looks worse than crush bends. Nowadays it sure is nice to drive my truck into the exhaust shop, read magazines in the lobby for a couple of hours, and drive home with my new cool-sounding exhaust! Crush bends? Who cares, my truck's too low for anyone to crawl under and look anyway. And if there's a measurable difference in performance I've never seen it.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 08-26-2020 at 10:04 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
_Ogre

mpc has a point, i did it mainly for cost
the body on tf trucks is lower than the frame, all i did was get under the frame and straight back
don't have room to go over axle, mine just dumps down

Old 08-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #11
mr48chev

My experience is that you won't save any money by buying preformed bends and doing it yourself. You do get self satisfaction and bragging rights but I didn't really like exhaust work when I worked in a Midas Muffler shop where I was hired as the front end man but they didn't get much front end work in.

Some muffler shops, or at least the one I go to have better exhaust pipe benders that don't crush the pipe as much as others do.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote