The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
botmfedr1

i know i'm ignorant....but still could use some info!

Well, i am sure this has all been answered before, but i thought i'd ask someone here if they have done the same thing and encountered the same issue...

I am thinking about putting ac in my '69 Suburban..

So here's my question: Are all factory ac units compatible? Just looking at the heater core outlets, they are top/bottom, however, the holes in my firewall don't match up...theyre side by side... i already have an ac system (minus brackets for pump).

(See pics)...Anyone have information on this? Am i missing parts?

I currently have the NON-AC core installed...Name:  enginefirewall.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  firewall2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  32.7 KB

sorry for the sideview pics....dang smartphone!!

thanks!!
Mondo

Last edited by botmfedr1; 07-17-2011 at 07:20 PM.
botmfedr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
48richard

Re: i know i'm ignorant....but still could use some info!

On the factory AC system, the heater is inside the cab, and the pipes come out one above the other. For the heater-only trucks, the heater core is under the hood, so there are no holes for the heater pipes in the firewall. Also the openings in the firewall for the air are quite a bit different. Did your truck have a dealer or aftermarket A/C system?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
chris mc bride

Far from ignorant.If you have smarts to ask a question your smarter than the folks who know so much they never ask.

Persoanl saying of mine "Only the stupid know to much to learn"
Old racer told me once that if you don't learn something new everyday than you wasted that day.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

My burb had dealer installed AC, and it had the exact same holes in the firewall.
They have long since been welded up.

I have little to none experience with AC systems, but from what I have seen and learned from the much more experienced here on this board. Is that the 40 something year old vintage AC stuff is quite expensive to restore, and keeping them cold is a whole other talent in itself.

I am actually contemplating the installation of the new AC systems out there, that are specifically designed for these old trucks and use new parts and coolant.

Check out the prices from the vendors on here, since it seems like they are always selling them on sale. Hence, why I have been thinking about doing it.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
AzDon

I had a friend once that claimed to have been born with a full set of teeth..... He'd say that at an early age, he learned to keep his mouth shut!.... Translation: While he MAY have been more advanced, he was only answering questions he was asked rather than impressing others with his knowlege!
It's okay to ask questions and opinions, it's how we learn! It's impossible to know how something was originally when it all is missing!
I recently bought a 92 caprice wagon with the heads off and all the parts thrown in the back of the car. Unless I had also bought a 91 Custom Cruiser wagon, I would still be scratching my head about parts placement!
My opinion on the factory air and heat.... almost all that I've seen place most of the guts under the hood which looks ugly and detracts from the beauty of the engine and your ability to work easily under the hood. These burbs have plenty of inboard space for an evaporator/heat unit!
My preference is for one of these evap/heat units with defrost. Nostalgic Air has a variety of units that would be great on a burb. As far as a rear air unit is concerned, a rear air unit from 73-87 can be fitted to look like chevy put it there and will give you good additional cooling in a lightweight and compact package!
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote