The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Rust hole

upper side trim clips

I replaced the whole skin on the drivers door of my '72 and removed the stainless trim that is on the top. now I'd like to replace it but cant seem to find the clips any where. (of course I destroyed them taking them off) Knowing suburban parts are "different" will a truck part work? or something else like a 3m product?

Also I'd like to share some pics of my truck and progress but all the pics are on my phone can I post them from my phone? I'm not a computer guy!

Thanks, Damon
Rust hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:17 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: upper side trim clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust hole View Post
I replaced the whole skin on the drivers door of my '72 and removed the stainless trim that is on the top. now I'd like to replace it but cant seem to find the clips any where. (of course I destroyed them taking them off) Knowing suburban parts are "different" will a truck part work? or something else like a 3m product?

Also I'd like to share some pics of my truck and progress but all the pics are on my phone can I post them from my phone? I'm not a computer guy!

Thanks, Damon

Welcome to the board Damon.

I've never had a Suburban with the upper trim so I'm not familiar with the clips. I would think another type of clip would work. We will see if any other burb guys chime in....

I know other members have posted pics from their phone but I have never done it. If you can e-Mail them to me I would post them for you. If you are OK with that I will PM you my e-Mail address.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
Rust hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Welcome to the board Damon.

I've never had a Suburban with the upper trim so I'm not familiar with the clips. I would think another type of clip would work. We will see if any other burb guys chime in....

I know other members have posted pics from their phone but I have never done it. If you can e-Mail them to me I would post them for you. If you are OK with that I will PM you my e-Mail address.

LockDoc
Thanks lockdoc, here's a shot of some of the work I've been doing. I hope this works
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Bigdav160

Looks like your trim is in place.
I removed one of my clips from that same piece to take a picture. Unfortunately no macro mode on this camera.
I haven't seen an equivalent in a parts catalog. Perhaps one of our vendors could chime in. I need a few pieces for the trim on my hatch.
Attached Images

'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
Rust hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Looks like your trim is in place.
I removed one of my clips from that same piece to take a picture. Unfortunately no macro mode on this camera.
I haven't seen an equivalent in a parts catalog. Perhaps one of our vendors could chime in. I need a few pieces for the trim on my hatch.
The molding is off the door. Here's a pic of the clip that bolts thru the door at the front edge. I would imagine that the same clips would work all the way around. I also know the old ones were held in with spring tension with a hole in the door.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Hart_Rod

I think that clip is the same one that holds the truck upper side trim on, but not 100% certain. Check out mar-k.com, the probably have it or something that will work. OBTW, if that is an aftermarket door, test fit your door latches and strikers before you paint it. I had a problem with the stamping of where the door latch hole was. It was approximately a 1/4" too high, which created issues with the striker and latch alignment.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Rust hole

Hart rod thanks for the info on mar-k, I'll check them out. Also thanks for the tip on the door. Its not a new door just a skin but its still not a GM part so...

BTW I spent this past weekend reading your build from the beginning WOW! Your suburban is spectacular sir. Thanks for all the info and inspiration
Old 01-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Bigdav160

The skin looks good from here. Did you just hammer and dolly the edge or use a special tool?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Old 01-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Rust hole

Thanks bigdav! Just a hammer and dolly. I have learned a ton of stuff while doing this project. Like welding, I decided that I would never do it if I didn't start so I did. Doing body work was/is intimidating. No better way to learn than to do!
Old 01-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #10
jdubu

I have a burb with the same belt moldings. I just ordered clips that look similar used for upper belt moldings on pickups. Once I receive them , I'll let you know if they work out.
jdubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #11
Bigdav160

Any news to report here?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Old 01-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #12
jdubu

I ordered clips for the upper molding from LMC and they are not the same. I'm still looking for the clips.
jdubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Rust hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubu View Post
I ordered clips for the upper molding from LMC and they are not the same. I'm still looking for the clips.
Thanks for letting me know and sorry you ordered them and they didn't work.I've been side tracked by a new project as of late and haven't had the time to look for them as I would like. I'll post a pic of my new toy soon. Hint, Its an older woman
Old 09-22-2023, 04:57 PM   #14
nsiti

Hey all, I'm resurrecting this thread (since it was inconclusive) so as not to start a new one.

I'm looking for upper molding (side trim) clips for my 72 Suburban. I'm attaching photos of what the originals looked like (please note the spring is missing in the sample chosen for the up close photos). The last photo shows the clip installed (notice the spring). These would appear to be the originals. The tape measure in the photo is in cm (1 inch equals 2.54 cm).

As an aside, at the rear corner wings, it seems that some adhesive fastener might have been used originally. There don't appear to have been holes drilled from the factory in those places. Can anyone confirm this?

I haven't found any reproduction upper side molding clips for sale anywhere, even after hours of research. I am guessing that some universal molding fastener (possibly bolt-type) will have to be used. I calculate that 54 are required (6 per front door, 5 per barn door, 15 for the passenger side and 17 for the driver side).

For those of you that went through this, what fastener did you use, and where did you source them from?

Thanks for your assistance with this!

Regards,
Nick
Attached Images

Last edited by nsiti; 09-26-2023 at 09:17 AM. Reason: corrected # of fasteners and added breakdown
nsiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 08:44 PM   #15
BAD1916

My 71 GMC the corner trim is held on with clips. My passenger side was ripped off when I got it and the clips are visible.
Attached Images

BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:10 PM   #16
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD1916 View Post
My 71 GMC the corner trim is held on with clips. My passenger side was ripped off when I got it and the clips are visible.
Hi, and thanks for posting the photo of your rear corner. I note that one of the clips is original and the other is some other type. I'll have to go back and make sure I accounted for two clips at each rear corner. If necessary, I'll edit my post above with the correct number.

I'm going to measure the width of the trim and contact a specialty fastener store to see if they can provide some samples for me to try to see which one fits. Aside from size, it looks like the clips need to be push ins and not screw on, because of the tight space behind many of the holes.

If anyone that has restored this trim has any advice, please let me know.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 09-24-2023, 01:57 PM   #17
BAD1916

Both of those clips are the same except the one is damaged. Here’s a few pics, one complete one and 3 broken ones.
Attached Images

BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 02:34 PM   #18
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD1916 View Post
Both of those clips are the same except the one is damaged. Here’s a few pics, one complete one and 3 broken ones.
That's a serious optical illusion. Thanks for clarifying. I'll post my progress.