The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
msg

Tire rim for spare advice on 66

Ive bought the tire bracket for the spare that suspends under the truck and was going to have it sandblasted and painted. But I dont have a spare for it yet. The rims are rally 15 x 8 w 6 lugs and Ive got front disc brakes. The long bolts that hold the tire to the bracket are about 9 inches from the base of the bolt head to the end of the threads. For the spare what should I hunt for? The same or would I need something more narrow width to fit under the truck bed?

Heres a pic of the rims i have
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Tire rim for spare advice on 66

That wheel is a good bit wider than the one the truck came with and the hanger bolts will be to short. The original wheel would have been 15X5.5. There are threads in the FAQ sections on wheels and I think there is a 15X6 wheel that will clear the disc brakes.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
msg

Since my truck is still dismantled and and in repair I'm not in a big rush for the spare, but as I get closer to being done it would be nice to get a spare.
I have looked through the FAQ on spare tires and havent yet seen the mention of whether the 6 inch wide rim will clear the disc brakes. I have been searching for 15 x 6 chevy 6 lug rims. I did find this one and found that it was actually 16 inch and it has 6.00/16 tire on it. Would the difference of rim size make it dangerous to count on?
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
AcampoDave

I don't know why rim size would matter much in temporary use. Remember lots of cars have "space saver" spares which are a different diameter than the other wheels.
Attached Images

AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

I have a 15x8 rally wheel with a 235/75 tire, and it did not fit with the stock spare bracket. My truck still had the factory carrier, and I did attempt to use it. I used the advice on this site to fit a 90s Nissan D21 spare tire hoist (chain style), and it worked great. Now I have a full size spare that I could run on for a while if I had to, and it is so much easier to get to the spare if I ever need to.

Sorry for the sideways pic, don't know how to change that.
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I don't know why rim size would matter much in temporary use. Remember lots of cars have "space saver" spares which are a different diameter than the other wheels.
That was my thought too, at most I would think the ride wouldnt be so smooth but I wouldnt want to have it on long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I have a 15x8 rally wheel with a 235/75 tire, and it did not fit with the stock spare bracket. My truck still had the factory carrier, and I did attempt to use it. I used the advice on this site to fit a 90s Nissan D21 spare tire hoist (chain style), and it worked great. Now I have a full size spare that I could run on for a while if I had to, and it is so much easier to get to the spare if I ever need to.

Sorry for the sideways pic, don't know how to change that.
That is great and makes sense. I hadnt thought about how difficult removing the original style mount would be..but of course I already found one and got excited about having things as factory as possible when I can. I hope the spare just hangs out for many years.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:13 AM   #7
1966 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Since my truck is still dismantled and and in repair I'm not in a big rush for the spare, but as I get closer to being done it would be nice to get a spare.
I have looked through the FAQ on spare tires and havent yet seen the mention of whether the 6 inch wide rim will clear the disc brakes. I have been searching for 15 x 6 chevy 6 lug rims. I did find this one and found that it was actually 16 inch and it has 6.00/16 tire on it. Would the difference of rim size make it dangerous to count on?
WOW! I have that same wheel and tire as a spare in my old 65. I thought the pin stripes were custom but seeing the exact same stripe on someone elses truck makes me think it might be factory or at least a dealer thing. Any history on the wheel?
1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote