The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #1
pwdcougar

instrument cluster seal

Took apart my cluster to restore it and cant remember where the rubber seal went. The replacement seal is "cut to fit". The old seal was 1-1/2" long or so pieces spaced out around the cluster. The old one was crusty so I cleaned it off and no trace of where it was placed remains. The new seal is about a quarter inch in diameter. It went between two parts but no idea which two.
Attached Images

1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:58 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: instrument cluster seal

Nice looking gauge cluster. If you're referring to the pieces that look like black tootsie rolls, then six of them go between the back of the bezel and front of the lens. They sit on the ribbed sections of the bezel.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Nice looking gauge cluster. If you're referring to the pieces that look like black tootsie rolls, then six of them go between the back of the bezel and front of the lens. They sit on the ribbed sections of the bezel.
Perfect! Thanks!
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 02-01-2022, 08:48 PM   #4
thegarty

Sorry to barge in, I replaced my cluster last fall, re-installed in my truck. Afterwards, I noticed the six tootsie rolls were still stuck in my old cluster. Should I take my cluster back out and install them or will this hurt any of the gauges running without? Thanks.
thegarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:56 PM   #5
pjmoreland

My assumption is that they're there to prevent the lens from rattling. I don't know for sure, but I doubt anything catastrophic will happen if you leave them out.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #6
thegarty

I felt pretty good after I finished putting the new cluster in, next day I went in the basement to clean up and store the old cluster away, and that's when I seen them. Felt pretty silly after I found them and missed re-installing them. Stupid me....ha! Thanks for your input.
thegarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:13 PM   #7
pjmoreland

I've had my gauge cluster out of my truck more times than I care to admit! Mostly it had to do with chasing down illumination issues associated with a poorly made reproduction lens and tins. Thankfully, I was able to source OE parts.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #8
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Took apart my cluster to restore it and cant remember where the rubber seal went. The replacement seal is "cut to fit". The old seal was 1-1/2" long or so pieces spaced out around the cluster. The old one was crusty so I cleaned it off and no trace of where it was placed remains. The new seal is about a quarter inch in diameter. It went between two parts but no idea which two.
That's an interesting looking tach, what model is that? The markings and numbers look different than most of the ones I've seen. Thanks
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:16 PM   #9
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
That's an interesting looking tach, what model is that? The markings and numbers look different than most of the ones I've seen. Thanks
The tach is from a 75-80 something Camaro. A board member named Grincoloco did a write up on installing one to use with a later model distributor.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=250683