The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #26
rpone605

Re: 70' GMC "Walter"

My friend is building a buggy with a 4l60e transmission. Summit racing sells an adapter to put a transfer case on.
rpone605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
skyjgmc

Thanks guys for the encouragement and replies. I can't wait to tear into the motor swap and get it running good. This warn hub disappearance really troubles me I really hope someone didn't steal it off my truck while it was parked in town. I've got a set of mile markers I took off my old suburban before I sold it and will most likely put those on till I get a replacement warn for it.
skyjgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #28
skyjgmc

Getting Walter ready for camper towing duty!!

Im installing brake controller and checking brakes on camper. he should be ready for the season just hope the tired ol' 307 is up to the task.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #29
skyjgmc

well you learn something new everyday!! about 6 months ago I bought some spark plugs for a 1970 gmc with a 307, the other day I finally got around to trying to install them well turns out they didnt fit, the old plug that came out was a AC delco R44TS so I had Oreillys look them up to see what SBC they would fit and it looks as if my motor is a 73 or newer 350 not the 307 I originally thought even the previous owner was confident it was the 307 and the stock motor. Im kind of excited to see that its not a 307 but now have to climb in there to get the numbers off the block to see what exaclty it is I have swapped in there. I aslo rejetted the carb and fine tuned the timnig and it runs so much better now and with the proper gapped plugs it should be good to go for the summer and camper towing duty.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #30
swamp rat

Interesting.. If the alternator is on the driver side and it has a short water pump that would be an indicator that it would be period correct but yea its possible it has a short block installed. 73 and later have the alternator on the passenger side and a long water pump.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #31
skyjgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Interesting.. If the alternator is on the driver side and it has a short water pump that would be an indicator that it would be period correct but yea its possible it has a short block installed. 73 and later have the alternator on the passenger side and a long water pump.
That is interesting then must be a short block since it does in fact a short water pump and alternator is on the driver side. I've just been to lazy to climb under the hood and find the damn numbers off the block so I can in fact no for sure what motor I have.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #32
skyjgmc

OK so more confusion on whats going with the spark plug number.
so I scraped the sludge off the pass side casting pad and read the numbers
" V0125UO" so this tells me It was built in Flint on Jan 25th and the "UO" means 1969 307!! so according to this number its a 307, so why wont spark plugs for a 69 307 fit it? but plugs for a 73 350 are the only plugs that thread in? anyone have ideas what's been done?
Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #33
swamp rat

I would say someone replaced the heads, i don't recall where the numbers list is for the heads online, but its under the valve cover if you feel like replacing the valve cover gaskets..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-22-2016, 12:24 AM   #34
skyjgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I would say someone replaced the heads, i don't recall where the numbers list is for the heads online, but its under the valve cover if you feel like replacing the valve cover gaskets..
Kill two birds with one stone gaskets are leaking profusely, think someone put 350 heads on it?
Old 06-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #35
skyjgmc

Picked me up a solid Chevy parts truck, for $150. the cab isnt in all that bad of shape the rockers are solid just need cleaned up. The floor has a small spot where the gas pedal was, other than that its a great cab the bed is in excellent shape minus some surface rust its a bit pitted but not hardly a dent. My plan is to fix this cab and bed (which has a wood floor) then shift it all over when the motor is ready to go in. I dont know if I can use the fenders off of the chevy or not? if I remember right they are both the same year but the gmc is different in the way the front of the fender is formed around were the grill mounts to it. RIGHT?? these fenders are almost prestine hope I can use then since my driver is crunched on the GMC.

**why cant we edit our posts after a bit, it seems you can edit it right after you post but a few days go by and no more editing?**

Old 06-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #36
skyjgmc

Putting the ol boy to work today, pulls like a champ now with the rejetted carb and new plugs. The 307 doesn't seem so tired anymore it woke up.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #37
skyjgmc

Well had quite the excursion in getting the donor cab home from 90 miles away. My car hauler was tied up with some wooden sleighs on it so I had to rent a tow dolley to get it home. Figured no big deal guy who I bought it from told me he would get it "tow ready" I showed up about 7:30 to hitch it up. No problems getting it on, but a 1/4 mile down the road and we hear this god awful bang bang. I stop get out and Inspect. the guy left the driveshaft hooked up!!! (I should have inspected closer) and it was bashing into the bottom of the cab floor and me like a fool didn't bring any tools to remove the driveshaft (had everything to change a flat tire though) so I drop the trailer head back to the guy I bought it from, he's already hightailed it outa there to the bar to spend his $150. So I drive down the road another mile to a house guy let's me borrow a Cresent wrench. 5 min later and I have the driveshaft disconnected while I'm under there I realize there isn't a single bolt holding the bed onto the frame oh and also the front clip is just sitting there also. I scrounge up enough tie downs and we synch the sucker down meanwhile the driverside rear tire has a steady slow leak we filled her up to 50 psi and we are back in business and drove it about 60 mph all the way home without a single problem.
My wife showing her excitement after we got it "tow ready"

And just to add another pic ol Walter pulling heavy duty yesterday, rental guy didn't want to let me take it said " truck looked sketchy" so I went to his manager and he said "hell thats more truck than the new ones we let people leave with here all the time in, you got trailer brakes?" I said "yes sir" he said "then I don't see the problem hook em up" lol

Old 06-20-2016, 01:49 AM   #38
swamp rat

Live and learn huh?? If there were no glitches life would be boring!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #39
skyjgmc

Managed to stumble upon this beatiful rust free tailgate by accident. I went to look at some completely unrelated truck parts and found this laying in the weeds. Paid $80 for it.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #40
swamp rat

Nice! I found one that needs the internals changed out that was very close to being straight and payed $60 for it

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #41
skyjgmc

Didn't like how the gate didn't match the rest of the crappy flat grey rattle can paint job so I threw some rattle can on it to match the rest of the truck. Lol

Old 07-21-2016, 12:52 AM   #42
skyjgmc

drug this home tonight,1952 Chevy 5 window 3100. Body is good hardly any rust great patina, motor was rebuilt right before he parked it because the "brakes went out" It's been sitting under a tree in my father laws back yard for 31 years. Goal is to get it running driving and stopping by the end of the weekend for my father in law. Me and my two brother inlaws are getting together to get this all done we have some idea up our sleeves so hopefully our wishes become reality. Anyone know of a good disc swap for this truck I'm all ears!!
Old 07-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #43
cmabolt

e-zchassisswaps.com
uses an s-10 donor chassis. There's also several companies that offer disc conversions for this trucks.

Last edited by cmabolt; 07-21-2016 at 04:57 PM.
cmabolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #44
swamp rat

That year too?? I know the 42-46 could do that.. Oh Nice truck!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #45
skyjgmc

Not much of an update lately, been busy with family vacations and getting ready for Bow season
We did get the ol 52 up and running and didn't spend a dime to do so. it was kind of neat, first thing we did was pull the carb and set it in a tub of carb cleaner while that was setting I pulled the battery and set a spare one I had in its place. Well we just wanted to see if it would turn over so we bumped the key and the damn thing fired up without a carb on it and ran for a few seconds.............. turns out my BIL sprayed the intake with cab cleaner after we pulled the carb off so it gave us a bit of a scare cause it all happened so fast so after that we swapped out the rotten tires for some less rotten tires toped off the brake master with some clean fluid and bled the brakes mounted the carb back on it and she breathed to life again after sitting for over 30 years we drove it around the block a few times and handed the keys over to my FIL and let him take his wife for a drive they hadnt done that since high school. It was a fun experience!!
sure it needs a lot more work to make it safe and reliable but we managed to accomplish what we set out to do. Now sadly it will probably just get parked back under the tree until I can find some time to fix it up right.

Last edited by skyjgmc; 08-26-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #46
69gmcc10

Hello from Missoula! I Installed an L33 engine into my 69 GMC 2wd that I converted to Carb and hooked it up to the existing th400, it ran real well! If I were you I would drop in that Vortec 350 to gain the power, economy, and reliability and then at a later date you can decide if you would want to add the auto and get even more MPG. When I couldn't find a 2wd trans I looked at buying a 4wd and converting it over, all the research I found said you would need to find a 4wd mainshaft and tail housing, but I eventually found a 2wd trans. You could sell the trans and pick up a 4wd trans!!!

Excited to watch your project develop.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #47
skyjgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
Hello from Missoula! I Installed an L33 engine into my 69 GMC 2wd that I converted to Carb and hooked it up to the existing th400, it ran real well! If I were you I would drop in that Vortec 350 to gain the power, economy, and reliability and then at a later date you can decide if you would want to add the auto and get even more MPG. When I couldn't find a 2wd trans I looked at buying a 4wd and converting it over, all the research I found said you would need to find a 4wd mainshaft and tail housing, but I eventually found a 2wd trans. You could sell the trans and pick up a 4wd trans!!!

Excited to watch your project develop.
thanks. we're pretty dead set on using the manual now. my son loves the manual trans. I hope to be swapping the 350 in soon but something always comes up to keep me from making it happen.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #48
swamp rat

I see a father son project on the horizon!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 09-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #49
69gmcc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjgmc View Post
obligatory shot of the motor in the van, removed the dog house its not my first choice for a fuel injected motor, not a fan of the "spider injection" but it shall do.
In 02 and up L33s, GM used a multi-port injection that fits right into place of the spider system. It was a significant improvement and might be worth looking into.

here is a link: http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.co...onversion.html

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #50
skyjgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
In 02 and up L33s, GM used a multi-port injection that fits right into place of the spider system. It was a significant improvement and might be worth looking into.

here is a link: http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.co...onversion.html

thanks good to know, I've already planned to up the spider injection to the upgraded version I'll see if I can find one of those systems in the salvage yards, but as you know MT is lacking in the "yard" department.