The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Savary

Unhappy Replaced bent axle 1976 Chevy G 20

I put in a new axle on 76 Chevy 3/4 ton van. Got it from friend who bent the axle driving on ice and slammed into curb. Van has 33 k original miles. It sat in his yard for 40 years with the axle. I hadn't driven it much, but would that bent axle have caused irreparable damage to the spider gear?

I didn't rotate it after putting the axle in, c-clip, pin and bolt, in the differential. I just buttoned it back up in a hurry last night. When i went to put the drum on the axle just free wheels with no resistance, as if it didn't go through the gear which i know it did.

I keep wondering if there is something I missed, but I don't know what it would be.
Savary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Bandit130

Re: Replaced bent axle 1976 Chevy G 20

Welcome.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
nonstop

It should not have. You had the differential apart to do the c clip. You likely would have noticed if there was an issue. The only thing I can think to check is the splines on the old shaft if they are stripped. There would then be corresponding damage to the side gear. Block the opposite wheel or leave it on the ground and put the transmission in Park. Then try to spin the wheel. It should not spin. If it does, then there is a deeper problem.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

Also possible the opposite side is spinning the other way, which is expected with a non-posi type rear end. With no load or weight, it will and should spin easily.

You mentioned a hasty button up. Don't skip the add rear end oil step or you will soon have bigger problems.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
Savary

No, I added the oil. I needed to put the wheel on so I could move it to the opposite side of street. We have alternated parking, already have one ticket. In park the wheel spun, and splines are good on old shaft.

Like I said, i needed to move it, let it coast backward (I am right on the alley) in to the alley and then minimal drive down until downhill slope let me coast. In drive the jacked up wheel did not spin, but you could hear the clank-clank of gears not meshing. It wasn't a terrible grind just the same thing I got when i spun it by hand.

I'll have to drop the pan, again, when i have time (back at work tomorrow) to see what's up but still sounds crazy to me. It might be that what driving I did on the bent axle caused excess wear in the spider gear, because i also noted excess in and out play before i let the wheel down off the jack. I do know the c-clip and gear were as supposed to be, because I pushed the axle out before installing the pin in the diff, then pushed the axle in toward the center and out again to be sure it was seated in the slot good. I just wish I would have taken the time, then, to spin the hub and I surely would have seen something amiss.

Last edited by Savary; 10-21-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typos
Savary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
andyh1956

Greetings from Mississippi!
So your 3/4 ton van has a C-Clip axle & not a full floater?
If it is indeed a C-Clip axle then the sharp lick from the curb may have forced the axle end into the pinion cross shaft & broken it, which will let the diff gears go haywire.
You'll find out the problem when you pop the cover off.
Better hurry, snow's a comin up there!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote