The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Billla
Account Suspended

Feeback on Goodmark 1972 core support

I picked this up at Heartbeat last weekend and I'm just getting primer on it this weekend. Before starting primer, I decided to test-fit everything to see if there was anything I needed to fix beforehand.

All the holes, captured nuts, etc. are all in the right places with the right threads. From an orginality perspective the top of the core looks very different - the captured nut style is different from stock so those going for a restoration show car probably won't want this.

The only big problem is the radiator supports - someone correct me if my understanding here is incorrect.

When I had to replace my radiator a few years ago, I got the bigger, HD radiator as it was about the same price and I figured more was good. I never did get it to fit right, but I figured hey, I'll fix this when I finally do the front clip.

What I'm finding now is that the bottom and top radiator supports were for the smaller radiator. The radiator was basically in there by sheer force - I didn't bend anything, but the tank edges that were supposed to be captured by the rubber bushings really weren't. I bought the correct upper and lower mounts and bushings, and now comes the interesting part: the Goodmark core support has the bottom holders for the non-HD radiator...and they're welded on Also, there is no relief in the lip for the larger lower supports. I'll post some pictures on my cardomain site, but I ended up air chisling off the core support which left a kinda nasty hole, and then relieved the lip with a cutting wheel and die grinder so the larger radiator supports would fit. I think it'll all work, but I REALLY would have liked to get a bit of weld in those nasty holes.

Am I wrong in thinking that the lower supports are supposed to "float" - that they're not actually attached? Am I missing something on the size of these supports?
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
69TowRig

Re: Feeback on Goodmark 1972 core support

The lower supports were riveted in OEM from the factory. I just put in a 4-row where a 2-row once was on my K5, I bought the brackets from LMC, notched the rad support, used a dremel to cut the heads off the rivets, popped it all apart, and reassembled with the new brackets and 5/16" short bolts.

Could you have used a spot-weld remover to get those off? Drill through only the bracket and not the support?
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig
The lower supports were riveted in OEM from the factory. I just put in a 4-row where a 2-row once was on my K5, I bought the brackets from LMC, notched the rad support, used a dremel to cut the heads off the rivets, popped it all apart, and reassembled with the new brackets and 5/16" short bolts.

Could you have used a spot-weld remover to get those off? Drill through only the bracket and not the support?
Good to know - I do plan on letting mine "float" as they shouldn't go anywhere

These weren't a nice little spot weld, but a big nasty doink of a weld...3-4 passes with an arc...just no way to get them out clean from my experience :/
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
69TowRig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla
These weren't a nice little spot weld, but a big nasty doink of a weld...3-4 passes with an arc...just no way to get them out clean from my experience :/
EEEK! Sounds like a bugger.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote