The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #51
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: Is it Just me ? or do any one else notice that the

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
This site hasn't grown with the times; other platforms are just much more easy to use, and this site doesn't attract new members at the volume of competitors. Those that are already here for the community might stay but when evaluating several competing sites to call home this one just doesn't make the top of the list. People don't come to forums for the community, they *stay* for the community -- and that's about all this forum has going for it.
Didn't we just have this convo a few months ago? Want free ads, hate search, Josh doesn't keep up with the times. Did you ever get to message him directly with all the ideas you had yet? Just curious
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #52
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Wig big as a hospital mop

Do you visit the Welcome forum or look at join dates? I see new peple all the time. And it's the good ol' boys who welcome new members as treat them as one of the bunch from day 1.

There was a chat room. It was called "Shop Talk'. It allowed more "adult-like" topic. The problem was it was so active they had to joining up because it was blowing up. Members who hadn't joined felt slighted, s the ended it to be fair. I never went because the only thing I could do there that I couldn't do here is adult talk and I'm just fine w/o that. There are plenty of places for that and it has nothing to do with the trucks.

Reference on these trucks is reference. The same books on a topic stay in the library. They don't toss them out, they remain for the next person. The facts don't change or need replacement. And there "is" always new info on little nitpicky things that keep unfolding. I am still learning new things here. Just because you already know all you need to know, after learning from this site, it doesn't render the resource useless. It's here for the next guy, and if you want to be helpful you can be the guy explaining to the next one who needs to know. When I came here I brought a lot of knowledge that apparently wasn't here. That's why I stopped lurking and started posting. I posted a lot. In time I saw that others were offering that info I gave and now it is wide spread to the point I don't need to be posting the same thing over and over again. What we don't see are the PMs members send asking specific questions. I get PMs from people with zero posts. I answer and never hear from them again. They tell me they found the site through a search and noticed I seem to know my stuff, so they came straight to me. I enjoy helping people in any way I can. It's my nature, and that is yet another reason I come here... to be helpful.

If you have learned all you need to know for your uses, you can look at the rest of the site and learn other things. In the Our Stuff In Scale forum we have expert model builders giving their tips, or you can learn from watching what they do. Alternate tinkerings can have info on "whatever". And, General Discussion can have any family friendly non-political non-religious topic under the sun. The three "don'ts" are for the better for all. One site can't do it all, and that's why there is the whole world wide web and all other forms of social media. Instagram and Facebook can't do everything we do here, either.

This thread isn't about what is wrong with the site, it's about members we haven't seen participating as much. And, I feel it's due to various personal choices more than because this place lacks. This thread was started by one who took a break. In the past month we had one come back who was a young blood running his grandfather's(I think?) '70 GMC, joined the Army, faded away, and just came back after a couple years. He doesn't have a truck anymore but he came back anyway. There is also a "Let me re-introduce myself" thread presently in 67-72. I've seen it over and over. Even the ones who primarily use Instagram now, such as C10 King, still pop back in. So, yes of course the other forms of social media have had an effect on this site. How could an alternative not? But this site also has an effect on those places. I'd be on Facebook 67-72 if this place wasn't here. I feel it's better here so here is where I am and that's one less member there. Real life has an effect on this place as much as alternate media. Hopefully more!

* And I'm not arguing with you or trying to say you are wrong. I am presenting points I feel you are overlooking. Maybe I'm wrong about that. We all see what we see the way we see it from whatever perspective we have from whatever direction we are looking from. I see what you are saying but I feel one place just can't do it all or please everyone no matter administrators do. There's no reason not to use message boards as well as other sources to fulfill one's needs. I buy truck parts from many sources and my food from different grocery stores
Well said Tim ,, very articulated and thanks for the paragraphs ,,for me it was big help with much easy reading .. I just got through changing all my switches under the dash of my 71 since I got back on the forum and even though I have the build book and the service manual I needed help and I got it from others on this forum,,,so now I can share with photos where the switches are located in the electrical section..
Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #53
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

either way, you have been missed Larry. Glad you are back
Old 10-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #54
dmartin1

I have been on the forum for some years now, mostly all for info and parts.

Until i discovered the general discussion section.
I love checking in on the general discussion, gives you a chance to talk with some of the folks on multiple topics.
There are a lot of really good people on this site,with an incredible amount of knowledge. Always willing to help.
I have been on multiple forums, and none really compare. You ask a question, get about 20 non-sense replies or the keyboard warrior that wants to insult you over the internet.
A lot of forum sites, if you dont already have a great knowledge on the subject you are talking about, or have bookoo bucks and the high dollar toys, you are seen as not as good.
Atleast on this site, most people get a kick out of the rusty truck drug out of a field, even if it doesnt have a 15,000$ ls engine and custom frame and state of the art suspension.

I am only 22, but i get more enjoyment out of socializing with people on this forum, then i do on facebook and all that junk.

Hey Liz, a good idea may be to get a link to general discussion on the homepage, to grab more eyes. I dont believe there is one.
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #55
boatpuller

I was thinking about starting up a thread on safe cracking. then I thought , nah..... It probably wouldn't get much response.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #56
AnotherWs6

Quote:
There is one GM truck site that makes you pay to view the site or post and see pictures, all except one lightweight general forum that is far less informative than any here. I don't know anything about the rest of the site because I'm not going to pay to see if I like it. That's like a store owner who gave me a hard time for flipping through a magazine to decide if I wanted that issue. He told me, "This isn't a library. If you want to read it, buy it". I said, "I buy magazines that have articles that interest me. Can't tell that from the cover, so I guess I'll check it out and buy it elsewhere". You don't have to pay to check the parts board or to buy, just to sell. You have to pay ebay, the newspaper, swap meet promoters, and about anywhere. Not sure how Craigslist makes it on free classifieds, but someone is paying. Besides, the parts board is just a fraction of this site. Some people only come here to make money off of us selling parts, or buying ours and selling them for more on Ebay. Why should that be free? Are magazines free? Are the car shows on TV free? No, and they are mostly a bunch of advertising for their sponsors. You get more here in a month and only have to pay $25 a year here...including listing parts for free. That's how I see it.
I get your points. And I'm sure it keeps some unwanted users out, but I think a healthy classifieds section leads to a healthy subscriber base. I'm talking from my experience with my other favorite board. I have bought and sold a bunch of times, it keeps me interested and makes it sort of a one stop shop for info and parts.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #57
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Didn't we just have this convo a few months ago? Want free ads, hate search, Josh doesn't keep up with the times.
Yes, that's what I meant when I said "I've actually posted identical feelings that resulted in a good amount of discussion and no action taken" in my post.

Quote:
Did you ever get to message him directly with all the ideas you had yet? Just curious
Yes I did, clearly nothing has come of that. I don't have record of it though because PM storage is limited to 100 messages...
Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #58
ol_skool_chevy

I think it has more to do with other maybe more advance forms of soical media sites that maybe reach out to other people then just our trucks. I can't blame them for wanting to advance. some have built trucks that maybe boosted their notoriety or character of being notorious or widely known form either shows or SEMI. some have new products some are stepping up their game and building other things. I'm sure Instagram has sucked in a few that has become popular. either way. this is a informative site, to learn and grow on your mechanical skills. think about what more you can contribute then that you cant get from it....

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #59
GR8-68

The 25.00 doesn't bother me as I have saved so much more than that in parts I have purchased well under retail value. Plus I have made a decent amount of return selling things I didn't need.

Also the information I have been taught on this sight is above what I would ever expect from a site. I spent time at the truck nats this year with some board members I had never met, you would have thought we knew each other for years.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #60
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCjunkie View Post
I'm still here y'all!!! Just not as often as I need to be. Life just gets in the way I reckon. I still have the Burb and I still spy on y'all now and then, gonna have to make this board a habit again.
Welcome back young lady!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #61
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
either way, you have been missed Larry. Glad you are back

Well,, thank ya Liz ..want a short story about chicken ? lol
Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #62
special-K
Special Order

I think we have a healthy classifieds board. I see more 67-72 specific parts on here than Ebay. I see parts that were bought here being sold there. I've sold everything I've posted. I've spent crazy money here. I find what I need, which is why I don't need to look elsewhere. I could never list it all. I've been to SW VA for a high hump cab light A/C cab, to FL for a rebuild lowered rolling chassis, to AL for another cab, to MA for an HO52 No-Spin then down to NJ for a high nickle large journal 327 w/TH400 and buddy buckets, and soon I will go the the MD Eastern Shore for a Cheyenne Super seat. I feel I got all these at fair prices, too.

I bought a set of 37" Super Swampers from a member in VT and a louvered 67/68 hood from NH. I also bought a '71 SWB K/10 from NJ and a radio delete cowl cover from another member in NJ. The member in VT offered to bring the tires down and pay a visit. On his way down he swung by and got my hood in NH, then down to NJ for the K/10. Another member just north of me in PA had bought a full set of '68 Suburban seats w/buddy buckets from the guy I bought my truck from, so those went in the bed. The three of us got together at my place, as well as the other NJ member who brought the cowl cover down along with his little girl, Cheyenne. Another member in WVA caught wind of this and came with his wife. The seven of us had a cook out here and went to the local cruise-in together. I put the member from VT up for the night and we went out for breakfast at the breakfast buffet our local diner. It just came together and was a great time. Some of my best friends now are members who live within an hour or so from me. We do things together all the time, together or one on one. If I threw my computer away this site would still be part of my life. I just can't find any fault in that.

Next weekend is Jalopyrama not far from here and I am meeting some members for breakfast and checking the show out together. A member near me I have not yet met face to face, but talked to on the phone for a year, is coming with his young family. He's been having financial strains and needs a TH350 for his truck. I have a good one that's been laying around since '04 and I will be giving it to him Saturday to help him out. I live by "the world is what we make it". Maybe the only thing wrong with this site has something to do with that. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-12-2016 at 06:46 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #63
dmartin1

Quote:
I think we have a healthy classifieds board. I see more 67-72 specific parts on here than Ebay. I see parts that were bought here being sold there. I've sold everything I've posted. I've spent crazy money here. I find what I need, which is why I don't need to look elsewhere. I could never list it all. I've been to SW VA for a high hump cab light A/C cab, to FL for a rebuild lowered rolling chassis, to AL for another cab, to MA for an HO52 No-Spin then down to NJ for a high nickle large journal 327 w/TH400 and buddy buckets, and soon I will go the the MD Eastern Shore for a Cheyenne Super seat. I feel I got all these at fair prices, too.

I bought a set of 37" Super Swampers from a member in VT and a louvered 67/68 hood from NH. I also bought a '71 SWB K/10 from NJ and a radio delete cowl cover from another member in NJ. The member in VT offered to bring the tires down and pay a visit. On his way down he swung by and got my hood in NH, then down to NJ for the K/10. Another member just north of me in PA had bought a full set of '68 Suburban seats w/buddy buckets from the guy I bought my truck from, so those went in the bed. The three of us got together at my place, as well as the other NJ member who brought the cowl cover down along with his little girl, Cheyenne. Another member in WVA caught wind of this and came with his wife. The seven of us had a cook out here and went to the local cruise-in together. I put the member from VT up for the night and we went out for breakfast at the breakfast buffet our local diner. It just came together and was a great time. Some of my best friends now are members who live within an hour or so from me. We do things together all the time, together or one on one. If I threw my computer away this site would still be part of my life. I just can't find any fault in that.

Next weekend is Jalopyrama not far from here and I am meeting some members for breakfast and checking the show out together. A member near me I have not yet met face to face, but talked to on the phone for a year, is coming with his young family. He's been having financial strains and needs a TH350 for his truck. I have a good one that's been laying around since '04 and I will be giving it to him Saturday to help him out. I live by "the world is what we make it". Maybe the only thing wrong with this site has something to do with that. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

Most people on this board are stand up people. When i first joined the forum when i was about 16 or 17, i posted a thread about the AC in my 67 chevy.
Next thing i know, a week later in the mail was a complete factory AC setup a guy had sent me. Unfortunately that truck is gone, but none the less, the gesture was incredible.
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #64
Max1775

I spend a lot more time working and reading than I do posting. I've had 4 different trucks since I joined ranging from 66-86. I don't think I'm a "social butterfly". More of an "old lazy dawg" I guess.
Max1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #65
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Welcome back young lady!
Thank you sir

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #66
Boog
laying low

Hi Jody. Long time.
This crackerjack fella is still unhappy with this board yet he keeps coming back. He wants changes made to suit him. I may be wrong but i think most all of us like it just the way it is or we wouldn't keep coming back ourselves. Yeah?
What's the membership up to now? Something like 150,000 or so?
I have visited a good many other sites out there and some are absolute filth made up of members with no self respect or any respect for others. Pics and vulgarities abound at some of those so called car enthusiast sites. Freedom of speech and all, i get that. But is that conduct really necessary? So i avoid those places and come here for the commradary and wealth of information pertaining to all models of GM trucks. I also get to see thousands of pics of trucks from all around the world that i would not have seen otherwise. Share ideas with one another. Get a little how to from very experienced members who spin wrenches for a living too. You just can't beat that. We have the whole package here. It's better than any car magazine.

Josh , Liz and the staff are doing it right. No changes needed here.
Thank you all.
And that's all i have to say about that.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #67
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

I need 6 foot of stove pipe, oh sorry, wrong place but a good place !

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #68
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Hi Jody. Long time.
This crackerjack fella is still unhappy with this board yet he keeps coming back. He wants changes made to suit him. I may be wrong but i think most all of us like it just the way it is or we wouldn't keep coming back ourselves. Yeah?
- Why are you assuming I'm a fella
- I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with the board, but rather disappointed that it's not meeting it's potential and invested enough in it to put my time into making suggestions
- It seems like you think I started this thread but I did not

150k is a lot of members, but a better metric is 30-day active members. How many of those do we have and how has that trended over time?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #69
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
participation on this site has not been as much as it was ''say back a couple years?
I mean no disrespect to anyone , and maybe it is more that I miss some of the guys and gals that are not on here any more..
Again this has nothing to do with anyone on here that is new .. I don't want to name names from the years gone by as I might miss one ,, I just miss a bunch of the alumnus.
I left for a while after i sold my last project. I come back and i hardly get any responses on my threads. Also, I have emailed Liz twice and she wont get back to me in 3 days. So, i just feel like no one cares anymore really.

The other thing is the lack of big projects. IF you dont have a porterbuilt complete frame blow apart with twin turbos, there really isnt an interest. I dont know what that has to do with it, thats just the feeling i get.

Theres also the fact you only get 6 pages when you search for something. But once again, i dont think that has to do with lack of people. Maybe if they didnt charge a subscription fee there would be more people? :shrug: No idea...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #70
Boog
laying low

Quote:
- I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with the board, but rather disappointed that it's not meeting it's potential and invested enough in it to put my time into making suggestions
Oh forgive me. I am terribly sorry. Since most of the members are males it's easy to assume you might be a male too. Assuming, you what they say about that. Your username doesn't give a clue so..
Well is you or ain't you a male?
So what potential does this board have and you would know that how?
I know you didn't start this thread but you did post your disappointment with the board once again in this thread and I responded to that.
You gave your opinion and I gave mine. That's all.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #71
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I live by "the world is what we make it". Maybe the only thing wrong with this site has something to do with that. Maybe that's why I like it so much.
I've invested a lot of myself here and I think this place is great. That was my point. What do you expect to gain when you reserve investing?
Quote:

150k is a lot of members, but a better metric is 30-day active members. How many of those do we have and how has that trended over time?
I don't acknowledge the word trend as a verb. That's just annoying BS right there. Find your own path and stop following.

Answer: Because the demographic percentile is plus 95. Or maybe it's because he thought your name was Jack. If you are sensitive to such an assumption why don't you set it straight so we can know you better, as if you want to be one of our friends?

- Why does it seem like Boog thinks you started this thread. I don't see that at all. The person who started this thread isn't saying he's unhappy with the site or wanting it to suit him.

- All you have to do is scroll to the bottom of the page and you get the exact numbers you wish to know. It's more than ever. I remember not so long ago when 1,400 members online was a record or quite a while. Right now there ate 2,082 and on the 10th was the record of over 2,900...so participation has continued to grow consistantly

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-13-2016 at 10:33 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #72
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Yes, that's what I meant when I said "I've actually posted identical feelings that resulted in a good amount of discussion and no action taken" in my post.

Yes I did, clearly nothing has come of that. I don't have record of it though because PM storage is limited to 100 messages...
message him again, open dialog. Things get missed Sorry I missed your second post when i replied. Not saying action will happen, however dialog is good.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #73
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
I left for a while after i sold my last project. I come back and i hardly get any responses on my threads. Also, I have emailed Liz twice and she wont get back to me in 3 days. So, i just feel like no one cares anymore really.

The other thing is the lack of big projects. IF you dont have a porterbuilt complete frame blow apart with twin turbos, there really isnt an interest. I dont know what that has to do with it, thats just the feeling i get.

Theres also the fact you only get 6 pages when you search for something. But once again, i dont think that has to do with lack of people. Maybe if they didnt charge a subscription fee there would be more people? :shrug: No idea...
Actually, you PMd me, first on Tuesday afternoon and then again today. I did change the title and it did not stick. I saw your other PM this evening and changed it again. I really did not think it required a response, sorry.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #74
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Larry,
Another thing that just came to mind is all the sub forums users requested and voted in, from general discussion. 2 offhand being alternate tinkering and die cast. Both of those subjects would be in general before that.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #75
crakarjax

Quote:
Oh forgive me. I am terribly sorry. Since most of the members are males it's easy to assume you might be a male too. Assuming, you what they say about that. Your username doesn't give a clue so..
Well is you or ain't you a male?
lol, ok yeah I'm a guy and I was just giving you a hard time... I just don't like being called "This crackerjack fella"!

Quote:
So what potential does this board have and you would know that how?
It has potential to be a lively place, and literally any feature of any other board could be added to this one! I've made specific suggestions elsewhere and I'm basing my insight on my background in internet-centric software stuff.

Quote:
I don't acknowledge the word trend as a verb. That's just annoying BS right there. Find your own path and stop following.
Right now there ate 2,082 and on the 10th was the record of over 2,900...so participation has continued to grow consistantly
I see where you're coming from but ignorance is not a valid defense. "Trending" is a word that in this case can mean money -- it's part of how you justify increasing the cost of advertising on your site in order to pay for the maintenance and implementation of new features by skilled coders and admins, and to pay for consultants that can tell you how use that money to increase other words like retention and engagement. You might end up still only making a 30% profit margin, but hey-- 30% of $1m is a whole lot more than 30% of $100k right?

All I know for sure about *this site* is that it feels so much less lively than it did when I joined in 2009. Perhaps we are at peak visitors now as you suggest, but makes the lack of feels all that much more concerning.