The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Task Force - DIY Window Roller Replacement

I posted this in my build thread but decided to post it separately to hopefully help someone. It may apply to some or all other era window regulators, I don’t know.

My ‘55.2 window regulators were frozen solid, cracked & partially missing. CPP carries replacements so I ordered a set.

Before I forget there’s a Danchuk video on YouTube that shows this on a 1955 Chevy car window regulator. I didn’t follow it exactly as you’ll read but it is also helpful to review:

I found it extremely fast and easy to do. Took 5-10 minutes per regulator, maybe less. Contrary to the video I didn’t drill out the rivets. I didn’t like how he hogged out the rivet instead of drilling it straight. It might mess up the hole size.

1. I simply ground off the factory clinch head flush using my bench grinder and punched it out with a ball peen hammer.

2. The replacement rivet and roller go back in the hole with a couple taps. They have shoulders on them so it it’s not possible to hammer them in too far.

3. I don’t have the rivet flaring punch shown in the video but I learned the trick to clinching them right; just a little too late - after I’d done a couple “wrong” - You simply “split” the clinch side of the rivet using the ball peen end of the hammer. Once it splits you tap the ends flat. Stupidly, I used the hammer head at first and it deforms the hollow end of the rivet, clinching it. The swell was not enough to bind the roller.

4. You can see the two results in the pictures but no one will ever see them and they work fine. Learn from my mistake! Easy peasy.

5. Last, a quick touch up with dull aluminum spray paint and they’ll be good as new.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 02-23-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: Task Force - DIY Window Roller Replacement

Thanks Dan this should help others repair their window regulators.

So simple yet often overlooked .

But where to get the new rollers , Thanks for posting supplier .
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote