The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Car Seat Setups For The Family Hauler

I see a lot of the build threads on here are for truck owners that have a growing family so they buy a Suburban so everyone can enjoy it.

I am expecting my 1st in April and don’t see too many of the car seat setups and it’s hard to find good info for older vehicles and mounting so please share your setups and pictures of the family enjoying your suburbans.

68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
BGarza13x

Re: Car Seat Setups For The Family Hauler

I got 2 2nd row seats from a Tahoe for my truck, with latch system and built in seat belts that I plan to use for my family. I want to be able to put 3 car seats across in the second row (4 year old in a booster, 1.5 year old in a rear facing convertable seat, and a 7 month old in an infant seat still). I also have a 3rd row seat that matches pretty well from a Ford Explorer I think. All leather. I haven't finished cleaning the truck out to mock them up yet, but I figure they'll work well. I'm less concerned with keeping it stock as I am making it comfortable for me and my family, so nice modern seats, Lizard Skin insulation, and new stereo.
Attached Images

BGarza13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGarza13x View Post
I got 2 2nd row seats from a Tahoe for my truck, with latch system and built in seat belts that I plan to use for my family. I want to be able to put 3 car seats across in the second row (4 year old in a booster, 1.5 year old in a rear facing convertable seat, and a 7 month old in an infant seat still). I also have a 3rd row seat that matches pretty well from a Ford Explorer I think. All leather. I haven't finished cleaning the truck out to mock them up yet, but I figure they'll work well. I'm less concerned with keeping it stock as I am making it comfortable for me and my family, so nice modern seats, Lizard Skin insulation, and new stereo.
This seems like the way to go
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
nastety92

I did the same thing. I pulled all the seats from a 04 Suburban. Front buckets and second row seats. So they already have the loops in them for the car seats. I will probably eventually switch back to all bench seats in the future.
nastety92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
04ls1gto

Three rows from a 05 escalade, buckets front and middle and soon to be installed 3rd row bench. Middle buckets took a bit of modification due to step in floor but not bad at all. Kids love riding in the green truck
04ls1gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
shearjs

You described my scenario to a T! I plan to just use the lap belts with the bench seats with my carseats to hold them tight. At least one of our 3 seats always has a seatbelt attached in our daily's so I don't see any reason the seat belt wouldn't hold tight in the burb. I plan on having two in the second row and one in the back. I should have it on the road soon, so I'll snap some pictures for you when that happens. Enjoy!
shearjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearjs View Post
You described my scenario to a T! I plan to just use the lap belts with the bench seats with my carseats to hold them tight. At least one of our 3 seats always has a seatbelt attached in our daily's so I don't see any reason the seat belt wouldn't hold tight in the burb. I plan on having two in the second row and one in the back. I should have it on the road soon, so I'll snap some pictures for you when that happens. Enjoy!
The only issues I've found so far with the stock seats is that to get them tight you have to really crank it and the old style of seats with foam and springs doesn't like this very much. I figure I will just wait till the kid(s) are older to restore the seats...

Also you have to use those restraining buckles for the seat belts since they don't auto retract. That or upgrade to that style of belt which I am considering doing.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
BAD1916

I have always used the stock lap belts for my daughters car seat in my suburban. I have always just used my knee to put pressure down on it while I’m tightening the belt so it’s not too loose. It’s always held solid. Having the latch system from newer seats would be nice though for added security and peace of mind.i know you have some time but my 4 year I or likes to ride in the front seat so I put her in the middle with me when the rest of the family isn’t in the car and in a forward facing seat they CAN and WILL kick the shifter!

Last edited by BAD1916; 02-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote