The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Brave71

AAW wiring help !

Looking for a thread on tips and tricks on aaw classic update installation
Brave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: AAW wiring help !

I did that kit on my 72. It's not very hard. The only advice I can give you is get the proper crimpers, watch the crimping tutorial on AAW web site, take your time, and follow the directions.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
fast&low

X2
Using there crimpers is a must
fast&low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
Carmen Black

The kit is really great. You can really tell who ever put the kit together had a lot of experience installing it. Whenever I thought I was going to encounter a major problem, you could tell they had already thought of it and solved it.

I was hoping to install the kit in stages like cab, front, rear. You cant really do that. While the kit is pretty much plug and play to the truck, it does not plug into the old harness at all. So once you start, you have to do the whole kit. It was not hard at all, but it takes a lot of hours.

There is no provision in the kit for an ammeter. If you have an ammeter in your truck, there will be no way to hook it up. Something about high output alternators causing the ammeter to burst into flames.

Also, when I installed the kit, it would kill a fully charged battery in 2 hours. After learning everything about parasitic load testing, it turned out to be the alternator. One of the small metal boxes that I pulled off the firewall with the old harness was the external regulator for the alternator. Without it, the battery would just drain. I didn't see a way to hook it back into the kit, so I just installed an internally regulated alternator and it worked great.
Carmen Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Just get it and follow their instructions. No problem. If you can read, you can do it.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote