The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
Sandtrap9072

Where to start on my project (1972 Gmc Jimmy)

So i am now settled into owning my first home and i am looking to start working in my garage. I have a few things that i would like to do to my 72 gmc jimmy but what do i do first? I need your input. The truck has a bbc in it that i would like to replace with a sbc. Reason being, is that i want to put what came in the truck back in it. The conversion to the bbc done by the previous owner in my opinion was done quite half ass. But, If i decide to go that route, what do i replace the bbc with without out spending a ton of money. Do i replace it with a motor from a donor truck and have it over hauled or buy a brand new crate motor with a warranty. If i decide to buy the crate motor, how do i know what brackets i need to put the sbc back into the truck? The motor is just one of the things on the list. I could also go through the suspension and other drivetrain components. ie Replace the hubs, wheel bearings, pieced together lift what all new parts. I guess i just need some input on where to start. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Sandtrap9072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Where to start on my project (1972 Gmc Jimmy)

I have built many cars over the years, and the best advice I can give you is "have a plan and stick to it" !
What I mean is that before you spend your first dime on it, figure out how much money you're willing to put into this project, and figure out what exactly you want to build. When you have this figured out, set a deadline for when you want it finished. I've seen too many people set unrealistic goals for themselves, only to end up with a disassembled vehicle sitting in the garage for 15 years.
Another thing you have to ask yourself is what your skill level is. How much of the work can you do yourself? If you have to job most of the labor out to someone else, then this will use up the majority of your budget.
There's a lot of knowledgeable guys here that are willing to help and that have been down this road before.
It looks like you have a pretty clean truck to start with so it looks like you're already halfway there.
Dan
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
Sandtrap9072

i appreciate your input. i definitely don't want this thing apart over the summer. i look at possibly doing small projects over the winter. i would keep the bbc in the tuck until the sbc is ready for a transplant. when it comes to the skill level doing engine swaps i am ok with, but building engines i think i will have to pay someone to build it. i don't have all the special tools to build it myself. i have found an engine from a 1972 that is complete from air cleaner to engine mounts, but has been garage kept for 30 years. Obviously needs to be gone through, guy wants 750.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #4
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap9072 View Post
i appreciate your input. i definitely don't want this thing apart over the summer. i look at possibly doing small projects over the winter. i would keep the bbc in the tuck until the sbc is ready for a transplant. when it comes to the skill level doing engine swaps i am ok with, but building engines i think i will have to pay someone to build it. i don't have all the special tools to build it myself. i have found an engine from a 1972 that is complete from air cleaner to engine mounts, but has been garage kept for 30 years. Obviously needs to be gone through, guy wants 750.
Do you want this truck to be 100% original? If you don't care, then I would keep away from the original 1972 engine. Let's face it, the older engines were not that good compared to what can be bought today. If it was me, I would get a new long block from GM which, depending on how much you want to spend, will have a roller cam and some decent heads. Once in the truck, only a purist will be able to distinguish it from an original engine. I think in the long run, this may be a cheaper way to go than to try and rebuild that 1972 engine. IMHO

Last edited by hemi43; 12-04-2015 at 12:22 AM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
Sandtrap9072

Would i like it to be 100 percent original, yes. Will it be 100 percent original no. i don't mind the newer motor, i just want the old school look. I think i agree with you with going the crate motor route. Buy the time i spend the money paying someone to build the old motor it would just be just as much if not more as a brand new one with a warranty.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Willowrun

Cool SL pic. I'd say go with a crate motor also. Original brackets are pretty easy to find for SB's, and if your current BB has all of its brackets they can be sold for a decent amount more than SB brackets are worth. You'll have no issues up test hill with a crate SB with a four barrel.

The maintenance/upgrades you have planned should easy to accomplish over the winter if you get a few hours to work at it every week. Brakes, leaks, fluids, ujoints, and whatever else you find while performing those tasks will keep you busy. Motor swap can be done in a few hours once your ready. Then you'll need to figure out the exhaust. As mentioned, make a list and start with the ones that must be done for a dependable vehicle.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
GMC-YA68

I vote for the crate, you'll spend way more at a machine shop. I think I have an extra set of SBC mounts if you need any.

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
jaros44sr

I agree with Hemi, but the crate motor may have to be installed at a Chevy dealer for the warranty to be valid, dunno

Nice project

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:51 AM   #9
87Skier

I definitely advise spending a lot of time figuring out everything. It's the little details that will come back and bite you later on.

I'll be honest here in that I like doing things as cheap as possible, which is why I started working on stuff in the first place, but using an old block that has been sitting for a number of years is not the best idea. A new longblock is a good idea, but then you also need all the extras: intake, carb, fuel pump, accessories, distributor and exhaust will set you back considerably. On the other hand, buying a second hand engine that will need rebuilding could end up costing $1500+.

For me it would come down to if you plan on keeping the truck. If you plan on keeping it, spend the extra money now. It will save you headaches later on.

Just curious why you think the PO did a poor job installing the big block? Is it safe to drive? Missing bolts?
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Sandtrap9072

87Skier, The big block is sitting on small block engine towers, so the headers are hitting and the distributor does not have but a 1/4 inch of clearance to the firewall. the headers were beat in with a hammer to gain the clearance to get the header around the frame rail. the power steering pump has a some funky bracket that barely hold together. All in all it just does not look like its in there right. i want to be able to go to the parts store and know what i need if something something breaks, with this setup i cant. Guys, i appreciate all of your inputs.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #11
87Skier

Don't expect your distributor to be further away from the firewall with a small block. I have a sb in my Jimmy and the wires on the HEI distributor rub on the firewall. The rest of that sounds sketchy though, especially the steering situation.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #12
Sandtrap9072

So, I came across a 1972 sbc 350 from a 1972 blazer. It has everything from Air Cleaner to Oil Pan and Fan Shroud to flywheel. Basically the motor ready to bolt in. My question is i am not looking to use the block, just want it for all of the brackets and other misc hardware. is it worth 500 bucks?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
1972 Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap9072 View Post
So, I came across a 1972 sbc 350 from a 1972 blazer. It has everything from Air Cleaner to Oil Pan and Fan Shroud to flywheel. Basically the motor ready to bolt in. My question is i am not looking to use the block, just want it for all of the brackets and other misc hardware. is it worth 500 bucks?
I think $500 it's a far price. By the time you hunt and find every individual thing you need from multiple places, the shipping is going to kill ya! Also, you can still sell the block for $100-150
Just my two cents.
Eric
1972 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
Sandtrap9072

Thanks bud I appreciate it, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #15
buckkoo

Ditch the carb and go with a complete LS drivetrain from an early 2000 Chevy truck.

There's lots of info out there on adapting the wiring harness, motor mounts, adapter plates, etc.

You'll end up spending about the same and have a lot more reliable, fuel efficient Blazer and all parts are widely available.
buckkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #16
GM man

Sandtrap9072, I know what you're going through. Been there several times. I am currently at the point where I was going to buy a new truck and have monthly payments or do a few things to my Jimmy and have it be my daily driver. With 450k on my motor, my attention has turned to that. I've loved the Ram Jet 350 for several years. Read a lot on it and there doesn't seem to be a downside to it. Fuel injection is what I need for a daily driver, for better gas mileage, driveability, ease of starting in cold weather, maintenance free, etc... I am having new foam and springs put in my front bucket seats, and while the seats are out, I'm gonna throw some new carpet in. I'm like you in that I went back and forth about rebuilding or a new crate engine. I'm done with rebuilding right now. I want a brand new engine, with a warranty, no oil leaks, no little BS issues, ya know? I considered an LS motor drivetrain out of a late model truck, but I already have a really nice 700R4, and transferring all the electronics seems like a pain in the ass, in addition to it being a used motor. I'm not against that idea and may do it in the future, but right now for me, I just want a new engine and the Ram Jet fits the bill. I guess it all depends on what you wanna do with your truck. After I get my new motor in, I'm gonna keep working on replacing things, but I'm gonna be driving it at the same time. My Jimmy was my daily driver for several years and I love driving it. My motor is just tired, so I'm gonna freshen it up and keep on truckin'. You have a great looking Jimmy. Not wanting to spend a lot of $$, getting a late model drivetrain out of a donor truck was the least expensive route I could find. These trucks do great with small blocks. I'm with you on that!

1972 GMC Jimmy 6.0/4L65
1972 Chevrolet long bed 1/2 ton
GM man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #17
Sandtrap9072

GM man, I definitely want to put a small block back in my truck. I am thinking that i will buy a sbc with all of the original bracketry, and use the used motor to mock up what it was originally. Then when the time and money are there, buy a nice (350)long block and put it in the truck. I like the idea of a modern running gear but not my cup of tea. I want to keep this thing mostly like how it came like from the factory. I am also like you, i love to drive the truck. Nothing better than on a hot summer day going for a nice cruise with the top off! I like to do the majority of the work on the truck during the winter and drive it in the summer. About two summers ago i hooked up our pop up camper to it and took the four hour drive to silver lake sand dunes in Michigan. I wheeled it and drove it back.