The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
coggonobrien

Rust repair, where would you start

Going to start patching my 1969 blazer cst soon. Unfortunately it's a Missouri truck now living in Iowa so rust has gone wild. It needs pretty much every panel and I was just wondering if you guys would start with floor pans/rockers and everything that goes with them or new bedsides/floor. I have everything for the floor/rockers but just want to do it in the manner to get best panel alignment.

Thanks
David

coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
6768chevylover

Re: Rust repair, where would you start

Well I didnt have to go that far with having to put all new side panels on but I had to put new floors and supports on mine. Im still in the middle of doing that. The guys from this forum are very helpful. I worked from the front to back so that means the floors to the front door pillar to the rear door pillar then I would do the sides. Everything will be new and have the support and alignment when you do the sides..
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
coggonobrien

awesome, i've thought about buying ebfab man's dvd's but never got around to it.
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
hemi43

Best way to attack rust is to start inside and work outwards. Brace the body before starting, and leave all the external panels for last.
In your case, do the front floor and rockers first. The rear floor is basically bolted in.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Best way to attack rust is to start inside and work outwards. Brace the body before starting, and leave all the external panels for last.
In your case, do the front floor and rockers first. The rear floor is basically bolted in.
I agree 100% with this. This is how I did mine. That way you have a good foundation to build outward on. I drove around with no outer lower rear quarter panel skins for a day or two while I had mine opened up to replace the lower B-pillars and do some work on the inner rockers and floors!
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
jmillsUT28

For a lot of the body panels I found the Jegs or Summit racing had the best prices. Heck for the front floor bed patch LMC wanted $250 plus $125 for shipped and bought it from Jegs for around $200 shipped! Same panel from the same manufacture. Same thing for the cross sills for the bed. Most if not all bought from jegs and summit. They have free shipping over $100. Not sure how they are making money as that bed panel was shipped truck freight.

One thing, make sure you have everything braced and door aligned before welding in new rockers and rocker boxes.
jmillsUT28 is offline   Reply With Quote