The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
Zeke's Garage

'99 K2500 Suburban Lower Control arm bushings

Hello all,

My 'Burb has about 150k miles on it, and is in desperate need of all new front end bushings, ball joints and rotors. Well I've pulled apart the driver's side tonight, ready to replace the bushings in the lower control arm, and found that the replacement bushings are too big to fit into my control arms. The bushings that I pressed out did not have the metal 'sheath' around the rubber, the rubber was just pressed into the arm. I've double checked the part numbers of all the local auto parts stores, and every one of them calls for the part numbers that I have. I did notice that most of the descriptions are for use in a 'stamped' arm. Well my arms are heavy cast, but I can't find any mention of it anywhere.

I'm going to talk to the parts department at my local dealer in the morning, but just wanted to see if anyone else had run into this problem and had any other solutions... I'm partly tempted to cut the metal sleeve off the bushings i have and press them in just to see what kind of noise they make...

Thanks!

Shawn
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Zeke's Garage

Re: '99 K2500 Suburban Lower Control arm bushings

I know it's like I'm talking to myself here, but this might be useful in the future if someone else has the same problem.

While trying to cross-reference some part numbers, I found some Raybestos numbers at Rock Auto which appear to the proper ones that I removed:
RAYBESTOS Part # 5701076 Front Lower Front
RAYBESTOS Part # 5651213 {#5701075} Front Lower Rear

Then I found this thread on FSC, This guy has the cast lower arms and the same problem, he found the Moog part K6687 (Off of a Hummer) and said that they pressed right in and work just fine. I'm going to track down a set and see what happens.

--

Shawn
T5 5 speed conversion
Old 05-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
gmech

Thanks for the info. I was having the same problem, only I found the replacement parts problem before I started. Thanks to you I will be getting the rights parts. My truck is a 99 K2500 CCSB.
gmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
baronske

ZEKE!!! Please tell me you are here and please tell me you have a FIX! I have a 1998 suburban k2500 and we are trying to replace the lower control arm bushings also. The old ones are rubber and I went to 3 parts places and they all have metal and seem too big. Did you say the hummer ones fit? I assume my 98 would be the same???
baronske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Zeke's Garage

Hey baronske,
It's been a while, but I think I just pressed the rubber out of the wrong bushings and inserted them bare into my arms.. I wasn't able to try the Hummer bushings since I had to get it back together before I could get to the dealership.

I may need to revisit this issue, as I'm still not happy with how it feels after replacing everything.
T5 5 speed conversion