The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Scamlee

Long Bed to Short Bed Q's

Hello everyone!! To start things off, I'm about half way through the rest-o-mod of a '71 C-10 long bed. I have the cab mounted to the frame and the motor all wired and plumbed. Just the other day, I decided to make it a short bed instead of long bed. I know that I have to take off the cab in order to cut the frame down and I was wondering what's the easiest way to take off the cab without disturbing the wiring and plumbing to the engine the least?
Scamlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Long Bed to Short Bed Q's

I have seen a lots of posts here where the guys never took the cab off the frame to shorten it. It looks like the easiest way to do the wiring would be to remove it from the cowl[some call it firewall] where the engine wiring goes into the fuse block as does the front wiring. I have been building wrecks for many many years and that is always been my course of action if I were to remove a front or cab or engine or any main component that has a massive amount of wiring that would be disturbed. As far as the fuel lines go it could be taken loose at the cab just as if you were removing the tank in prep to move it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
BurlyCrew

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624
BurlyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Ridgeclimber

Check out no limit rear raised frame rail kit. I just seen it this last week and I am going to use it. It is made to convert a long box frame to a short box. It can be done with the cab on. Plus it raises the rear frame rails over the rear diff 4 inches. Depending on your plans with the truck. I think it is a better option then c notching the frame if you are going to lower the truck.
Ridgeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote