The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #26
stevenfromtexas

Re: re-shooting base help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
Glad things went better this time for ya!
I'm guessing you know all of this but if not it may help.
Don't wait too long to wet sand. Easier to sand before it gets too hardened.
I think I sanded my Nason select clear in 48 hours. 2000 grit with soapy water. Soak the paper for a few minutes first. Want sandpaper soft and not sharp edges.
I used 3m perfect it kit.
3 step process that has really good results.
this is a silly question. i've watched the 3m perfect kit videos on youtube. can this be applied by hand or does the buffer need to be used. reason i ask, i "burned" a couple of spots while polishing the first time with my buffer
stevenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #27
stevenfromtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCvette View Post
Glad things went better for you. It would suck to do all that work and then have to live with a not so nice paint job.
Yes sir!! I totally agree. that is exactly what went through my mind during my sanding
Old 03-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #28
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas View Post
this is a silly question. i've watched the 3m perfect kit videos on youtube. can this be applied by hand or does the buffer need to be used. reason i ask, i "burned" a couple of spots while polishing the first time with my buffer
You really need a buffer. check the RPM setting on your buffer if it's adjustable. also not a ton of pressure, especially on edges.
lastly, once the compound starts to dissipate from the buffer stop. dont' buff when compound is worked off the surface.
the 1 step is obviously most aggressive and the one that will likely get you in trouble.
3M sells a 3000 grit and 5000 sandpaper with a thin layer of spongy type back. Its amazing... if you wetsand with that first with that you will need a lot less of the #1 compound buffing.
when wet sanding always use a sanding block (see pic) made for this, don't just use the paper with your hand. you'll cut finger lines in the clear.
Attached Images

http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #29
stevenfromtexas

Perfect!! I actually got that one the last time I was at the paint store. I did see that my store has the 3m 3 step materials. I'll give it another shot with this process. I actually laid on one more coat of clear than last time so it should't be too thin. It also looks less "peelie" hahaha is that a word??? so I'm thinking less wet sanding too

yes sir, my machine does have variable speed. I have't looked at the 3m instructions yet, does it state the RPM's required for the specific compound?