The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
hemifalcon

1965 Suburban Resto-Rebuild

Okay.. So, I'll start a thread on here as I think this may be a little more helpful then then H.A.M.B. (Don't be me wrong, the HAMBer's are a great crowd but I think the 60-66 guys will be able to assist me more specifically with this project..)
If you'd like the original background regarding my acquisition of this project--then you'll have to visit..http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=631495
(Short of the long story is I bought it from California--drove it back to my home while towing a '41 Ford Coupe behind--and then blew the head on it when I was hauling some lumber around my house--All during October 2011)

My plan is a basic rebuild-resto(which all stemmed from the cylinder head issue)--and upgrading of some simple stuff. I've found more rust on the body than I originally knew existed--but what else is new. I will be repainting it again in 2-tone, unsure exactly what color other than white (thinking original, teal, or seafoam green). I will lower it a little with simple springs and upgrade to disk brakes in the front and will convert to 5-lug axles. The interior will remain semi-spartan with the original seats-reupholstered (to include the passenger flip seat)-and I'm not sure if I'll leave the rear cargo area clear yet. I will be putting on a proper rear hitch. The wheels will be steel 15"ers with stocker type dog-dish hubcaps with the tall tires that I have on it now. I have recently acquired a very nice '65 C10 cab which will donate much of the sheetmetal--and I also got some NOS rocker panels with the purchase. I have thought of putting a '60-63 hood on the suburban--but unsure yet. I will be re-skinning the doors as well. There's quite a bit of work ahead of me.. And i'm looking forward to it.. Oh--and by the way, a 292 will power the truck once again still relying on the 4-speed trans (it got me from California to Chicago'ish just fine--I'll gladly do it again..) Here's all the pictures to date of the original acquisition..

this was me leaving the PO's house..

And this was exactly how I left Stockton, Ca after getting all the things in order--or at least mostly in order..

For more pictures of the trip adventure-please feel free to look here..
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...011/?start=all

If you'd like to see the pics on Photobucket--use this link..
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...65%20Suburban/

Here are some recent pics--sorry for their goofy order..

Here are some pics of the cab that picked up from my friend Dan in Jackson, Wisconsin.

Here's the engine.. The trans has been re-sealed and detailed from the grimy mess seen above..

hemifalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
hemifalcon

Re: 1965 Suburban Resto-Rebuild

So, Here are some questions..

1. Are the '64-66 Chevy C10's rear axles the same as the ones in the suburban's? I'm planning on ordering Early Classic's 5-Lug conversion kit, and some of their lowering springs for the front and rear. Looking for recommendations. This site is already proving very useful.

2. Good places for the interior materials, upholstery?

3. Anyone got some good correct dog dish hubcaps?

..I'll be using this site for tips on the sheetmetal repair..
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Welcome! Looks like you've made quite a bit of progress over the last few months. If you are looking for factory correct auto fabric, you can use SMS auto fabrics out of Portland, OR. Pricey but 100% correct.

There isn't a whole lot available for suburbans out there right now. Only the stuff that would interchange with the trucks will you find available. But their are other members on here that have great resources and ideas how to get around all of that.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: 1965 Suburban Restoration

Welcome aboard, your making quick work of it. Looks like a pretty solid ride.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
perro13

Welcome, Did u buy the suburban in Stockton?
perro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
b2948kevin

Welcome! I read your travel log when you were on your way back from CA! That was quite the journey and I admire the courage and dedication. You're in good hands here and you'll certainly get the help you need.
b2948kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

welcome, i remember reading your thread over on the H.A.M.B (very entertaining!)....looks like you've made some nice progress...the engine looks great, & i like your other plans as well

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Yes the differentials are the same between the pickups and the Suburbans. In fact the truck 12 bolt was used from '63-'82 in the C10's, and thru '79-'80 in the K10's and K5's. With yours being a '65, you will just need the conversion axles. The Suburban sits on a slightly modified short wheelbase pickup chassis and running gear.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Might want to merge the two threads........
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

Welcome the suburban looks like it is in good shape and looks like it is all there let me know if you have any questions i have been working on my suburban for about a year now there is alot of info and help here on this forum!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
66Z71

Awsome Burb. My dad had a '65 pickup with the 292, 3-speed when I was growing up. Learned to drive in it. That thing had more power than the 283 in my '62 truck.

The HAMB is great for an early hot rod style car/truck, but like you said, this will fit in here better. I'm a member over there too.
"Always try to make the best part you can with the skills you have. If it isn't good enough throw it away and make another. Every time you make a part your skill will increase and you'll make a better part than you were capable of making before." Lil John Buttera
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
derail

These may have been your first posts, but it wasn't the first time that you were on the forum! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=hamb Loved that story and welcome.
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
hopped up

i remember reading that on the hamb. great story and great suburban. youll find all the help and answers you need on the site for sure. lots if knowledgeable people here willing to help out
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
1963c-10

Welcome. Nice work on the engine. Truck looks to be real solid too
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Might want to merge the two threads........
Thanks Capt.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #16
McMurphy

to the site !!

The pic of the suburban towing the coupe is what I envision for the future of my 66 stepside; hauling my 66 Tempest to car shows that are out of town.

Your engine looks great, you have any upgrades in mind for it?

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #17
SFTorange

Great start! I love the suburbans.

One note of warning, I recall reading a thread a while back where someone learned the hard way that some of the sheet metal from truck cabs isn't exactly the same as the suburbans. I believe it was the area just above the windshield that didn't fit. It might be just isolated to that area.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That is correct. The crown of the Suburban/Panel roof is different than a pickup roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTorange View Post

One note of warning, I recall reading a thread a while back where someone learned the hard way that some of the sheet metal from truck cabs isn't exactly the same as the suburbans. I believe it was the area just above the windshield that didn't fit. It might be just isolated to that area.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
hemifalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Welcome! Looks like you've made quite a bit of progress over the last few months. If you are looking for factory correct auto fabric, you can use SMS auto fabrics out of Portland, OR. Pricey but 100% correct.

There isn't a whole lot available for suburbans out there right now. Only the stuff that would interchange with the trucks will you find available. But their are other members on here that have great resources and ideas how to get around all of that.
I heard about SMS before.. I'll look into it when that time comes, but it's good to build a reference list early.. I figured the front seat will be the issue with the flip seat portion (figured a regular truck bench upholstery could be modified by a competent upholstery person..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perro13 View Post
Welcome, Did u buy the suburban in Stockton?
Nah, the Suburban came from Mariposa, right near Yosemite. I bought the '41 in Stockton.

Quote:
Welcome to the forum

Yes the differentials are the same between the pickups and the Suburbans. In fact the truck 12 bolt was used from '63-'82 in the C10's, and thru '79-'80 in the K10's and K5's. With yours being a '65, you will just need the conversion axles. The Suburban sits on a slightly modified short wheelbase pickup chassis and running gear.
Captain--I may have mis-stated my query.. I understand the 12-bolts are the same, but know there be different widths. I obtained a '71 5-Lug 12-bolt and found the axles to be too long as the housings are different widths. My question is whether the 60-66 Trucks have the same rearend widths as the suburban's. I want to get the 5-lug conversion setup but companies like Brother's can't even answer the question as to whether they are the same or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
to the site !!

The pic of the suburban towing the coupe is what I envision for the future of my 66 stepside; hauling my 66 Tempest to car shows that are out of town.

Your engine looks great, you have any upgrades in mind for it?
Thanks for the compliments by all of you guys.. Really appreciated. As far as the engine--I am not going to do anything crazy--I just had to replace the head on it of course, but otherwise keeping the engine stock. I will be putting on a Clifford Intake and Exhaust and putting a 4-barrel on it--most likely. This engine is really strong--and my first experience with the Chevy 6.. I was very happy with the way it towed even with a dying cylinder head and an oil soaked clutch disk all the way along the 3500 mile trip..

Quote:

Well.. Damn.. I'll be doing some measuring again I suppose before I do this.

Quote:
That is correct. The crown of the Suburban/Panel roof is different than a pickup roof.
SFT and Captain-- Any help on what is different about the crowned portion?

Thanks again guys- these early responses are already making me feel better about the reference opp's on the site!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The 12 bolts under the Suburbans are no different than the 12 bolts under a pickup. The widths are the same from '63 to early '70 at 62". In late '70 the width increased to 63.5". You can not take axles from a '63.5" wide differential housing and install them in a 62" wide differential housing. At least not and have them be right or safe. The short answer is, yes the conversion axles for a pickup 12 bolt will work in a Suburban 12 bolt.

I believe the difference in the crown of the Suburban/Panel roofs was mentioned in this thread.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=324309
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
hemifalcon

Great... I ordered the 2/4 spring kit and conversion axles for the 12-bolt.. And CaptainFab-thank you for the link.. http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=324309&page=3 has the pictures of the roof job.. I don't need the roof skin, but rather just the bottom side of the overhang.. And I'll also be replacing the upper portion of the drivers door opening.. So--I think the truck cab is gonna do the job.. I just ordered spot weld cutters yesterday--so I can start disassembling the truck cab soon..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
SFTorange

I'm glad to see that the cab should work out. It's so fun to drive an old suburban around town. I swear I get more comments from people when I'm driving around in the beat up orange '66 sub than in my restored '66 pickup. Plus the extra room for passengers is great.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
hemifalcon

Quote:
I'm glad to see that the cab should work out. It's so fun to drive an old suburban around town. I swear I get more comments from people when I'm driving around in the beat up orange '66 sub than in my restored '66 pickup. Plus the extra room for passengers is great.
Well... Not that I'm all concerned with it--but I DO hope I get some compliments while driving around a restored '65 Sub!!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #24
hemifalcon

Well.. Nothing too exciting here.. I decided to rearrange the garage today and get the frame/chassis back in the garage.. I'm expecting the suspension bits to come this week.. And, I have lots of cleaning to get done on the rolling stuff...
There's not much to look at--but there's about 3 hours of breathing ground up metal dust and grinding disks in getting this damned farmer hitch off of the truck. In all honesty--the thing was welded on pretty damned good. I'll be opting for a legit Reese type hitch when it comes time for it. Here's the pics..

Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #25
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Nice job removing that hitch. I see someone welded a truss on the differential also.