The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
AnotherWs6

PLease help! - Where to get new tranny?

So my transmission has lost park and just hums in reverse. Time for a new one. This is for my 2000 Silverado. I've never purchased a transmission before and I'm not sure where to go. I would like to balance cost with quality. The original held up for 310K miles, so I want to put a new one in and not think about it for another 300K, lol.

What/where do you guys recommend. It's a 4x4, 35" tires, light towing. 4l60E. Thanks!
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
AnotherWs6

Re: PLease help! - Where to get new tranny?

No one?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Valarius_Starchaser

A local trans shop should be able to simply rebuild the transmission for you for far less then any other option for example in my GM system recommended retail is over 2k for a remanufactured unit
Old 06-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
AnotherWs6

I'd prefer to buy a reman one from a reputable company rather than roll the dice with a local shop. I don't have a lot of faith in people working on my vehicle, which is why I do everything myself. Rebuilding is out of my skill and time set, so I just want to buy a GOOD one and install it myself.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
clinebarger

Losing Park is a huge red flag too me, It is 100% mechanical......Does it move forward? You didn't say, It it doesn't do anything....I would bet money on the Transfer Case being bad.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
AnotherWs6

Oh no. I just spent a s load of money ordering a new tranny. It does move forward. I don't know in how many gears, but at least in first and second.

What are you thinking transfer case wise?

I hope I didn't spend thousands for nothing.

In reverse it doesn't move, just make a loud sound like a soda can jammed against a bicycle wheel if you did that when you were a kid.

And this happened AFTER something else happened. I was driving along when I heard a pop and a liquid fizz. Immediately pulled over. Hard to tell what happened but I thought maybe my heater core let go. There was fluid leaking out of the inside back of the passenger wheel well. The trick is lifted and it the leak was in a tucked away area.... hard to see. I topped off the coolant. Idiot light on the dash said low coolant after a couple of minutes. I pulled out on to the highway and heard that spinning, buzzing sound after 15 seconds and pulled right back off. After having been solidly in park earlier I now had no stopping power in park and almost let the thing roll away when I went to hop out. No park. No movement in reverse with bad noises. Drive it up to the flatbed that eventually came.

Are you thinking now that maybe a coolant explosion got something on the transfer case soaked and screwed something up?

I of course don't want tI fix the wrong problem. It is odd that initially one thing happened and then right afterwords I had a bad tranny. 5 minutes later. Please help. Thank you so much.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #7
AnotherWs6

And after my huge post, why is losing park a huge red flag?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #8
clinebarger

If it moves forward it's not the T-Case, I guess you could have wiped the Splines off the Output Shaft & the Parking Pawl will no longer hold the Output Shaft stationary. An unusual failure but not impossible at 300,000 plus. High miles is what wears Splines.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
AnotherWs6

The internals of transmissions is a strange world to me, I don't really know much about it.

Ouput shaft - Is this what is coming out of the back of the tranny to move the driveshaft?

If so, wouldn't wiping the splines make it non-functional in all capacities?

My concern is that it is something electrical. Is that possible given the auto hubs and electronic 4 wheel drive? Could something just be partially dis-engaged? Again, I pulled over because of a fluid leak. Pulled onto the highway again no problem, got up to about 30mph and heard that buzzing/light grinding sound and pulled back off. At that point I realized I had no park. Then I tried reverse and realized that something was wrong there as well. SO - driving FORWARD I suddenly lose park and reverse. RIGHT AFTER fluid let go (I BELIEVE it is my heater core because I have been hearing gurgling and smelling faint anti-freeze for awhile).

How likely is it that two failures in different systems happened back to back that quickly? I think that either one is related to and caused the other or that I should have gone and bought lottery tickets because what are the odds of losing your cooling system AND transmission at the same time?
Old 06-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
cdowns

me i'd go a little out on long island to fbperformce.com
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
AnotherWs6

Thanks, already bought a Performabuilt one, Stage 2. Great to work with, good reputation.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #12
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
The internals of transmissions is a strange world to me, I don't really know much about it.

Ouput shaft - Is this what is coming out of the back of the tranny to move the driveshaft?

If so, wouldn't wiping the splines make it non-functional in all capacities?

My concern is that it is something electrical. Is that possible given the auto hubs and electronic 4 wheel drive? Could something just be partially dis-engaged? Again, I pulled over because of a fluid leak. Pulled onto the highway again no problem, got up to about 30mph and heard that buzzing/light grinding sound and pulled back off. At that point I realized I had no park. Then I tried reverse and realized that something was wrong there as well. SO - driving FORWARD I suddenly lose park and reverse. RIGHT AFTER fluid let go (I BELIEVE it is my heater core because I have been hearing gurgling and smelling faint anti-freeze for awhile).

How likely is it that two failures in different systems happened back to back that quickly? I think that either one is related to and caused the other or that I should have gone and bought lottery tickets because what are the odds of losing your cooling system AND transmission at the same time?
Park is 100% mechanical, Reverse is 100% hydraulic, Electrical issues will not cause loss of either.

The Output Shaft has 3 sets of splines, Input (White Arrow), Reaction (Red Arrow) & Output (Blue Arrow), If the Reaction Splines got wiped, You would lose Park & Reverse.....And you will still have Forward movement through the input splines.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #13
AnotherWs6

Wow, great, quick, simple info. Much appreciated.

Does it seem plausible that the reaction splines got wiped while moving forward?

If a hunk of something blasted around, anything could happen regardless of gear position or speed. Is that correct and likely also?