The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
New_70'C10

In-dash stereo upgrade?

The dash in my truck has already been cut by the PO. There's always a way to fix it but I'm looking to see what everyone else in this situation has done to come up with a work around. Some pics of your installs would be a big deal and maybe an inspiration to do something a little custom with it.

Charles.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: In-dash stereo upgrade?

imo... single din radios will be around for a few years more and are easy to swap when they go bad or to update
single din has many more options than anything that fits old truck dashes
make it look good and keep it single din

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
Tazimafied

When I had my '64 I had the same issue. I wish I had pics but never took any. I used a single din unit and installed the brace that comes with the unit directly in to the dash. The stock rear brace was gone so I made one. The trim for the radio snapped on flush with the dash when I was done and looked pretty good.
Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
Ewr101

I put a single DIN receiver in my Blazer. It's a Pioneer that has NO CD player and is perfect for me. I have my CD's copied to a 64 gig thumb drive that plugs into and extension off the back of the radio that goes under the carpet and into my center console. Same extension has an 3.5 AUX port but I rarely use it. I can also play Pandora off my phone via Bluetooth. Both Pandora and the thumb drive can be controlled with the radio face or the remote for the radio. It's very light which helps it mount securely and it's about half the depth of one with a CD player. And I don't have to worry about scratched or stolen CD's.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: In-dash stereo upgrade?

I don't know what the fuss is about cutting the dash for modern tunes. It's nothing more than changing a wheel are bagging the truck. Somebody says no don't cut your dash! I'm like why not it's a custom truck that is nowhere near stock! Cut it and be done with it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
Ta12sec

Really want a stock looking radio that doesn't scream steal me, anyone have any ideas?
Ta12sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta12sec View Post
Really want a stock looking radio that doesn't scream steal me, anyone have any ideas?
for stock looking and nobody will want to steal it ... Retrosound.com they make a unit that looks old and stock . but it has all of todays bells and whistles including blue tooth . yet you look in the window your none the wiser lol but dont expect big watts . if you can live with that then thats the unit for you https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...odel-two-radio hope this helps ya ..... Happy Truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
frankslagoon

Bro just ordered a autosound 300 watt. I know, a few guys say they are crap. but we ordered anyway. He should have it in by the this weekend. stay tuned.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
for stock looking and nobody will want to steal it ... Retrosound.com they make a unit that looks old and stock . but it has all of todays bells and whistles including blue tooth . yet you look in the window your none the wiser lol but dont expect big watts . if you can live with that then thats the unit for you https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...odel-two-radio hope this helps ya ..... Happy Truckin
I second the vote on Retro Sound radio's high quality stuff there I have the Zuma model and I love it.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
par4tom

If you already have the Din opening...go ahead and put in another din unit. If you want the unit to just make noise into a couple of coaxials, the units own power should be more than sufficient.

If you want to upgrade and wander into the area of audiophile quality, might I suggest the 2 Pioneer head units with 2 USB inputs, Digital Signal Processing (if you are going for really great sound) and tons of high-end audio outputs in the Digital/Analog conversion stage.

It also has Blue Tooth which is really handy for Street Beats. Blue Tooth will not have the same qualify as Hi-Def or CD's. However, this unit does have the CD player built in and audiophile outputs in subs, mids and highs.

The DEH PRS-80 is the one I have as I didn't want to spend $1400 for the PRS-99 and has been around for a few years. 10 years ago you would have spent $2500 for this type of processing power and now you can get it for less than $250 bucks! Amazing...

While not quite as robust as the PRS-99...the 80 is more then adequate for tuning and great sound. A bit complicated to learn with the menus but after you get through the whole set-up...its not that bad. I believe they have the manual on-line but don't let that intimidate you.

I just checked on line and it's about $245 including shipping. That's about what I paid.

Here is a link to a page I have referenced previously: This guy knows his stuff and he tells you which brands to look for and which to avoid...he calls it the Good, Bad and the Ugly! Too funny...

Any of the brands in the top two categories should work really, really well. The Pioneer Unit I am referencing here...is the Stage 4 in the top category on his list. The faceplate is detachable to deter theft.

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/goodbadugly.html
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7236896
Building Your Own Speaker Kick Pods
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730495
par4tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
par4tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I don't know what the fuss is about cutting the dash for modern tunes. It's nothing more than changing a wheel are bagging the truck. Somebody says no don't cut your dash! I'm like why not it's a custom truck that is nowhere near stock! Cut it and be done with it.

I agree with Andy...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7236896
Building Your Own Speaker Kick Pods
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730495
par4tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
strkr

Well the Auto Sound is not working right...Volume control has a mind of it's own. Works about half the time. These are truly a piece of ****. I do not recommend. On to plan "B".......
strkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: In-dash stereo upgrade?

The Alpine single din is a great unit. I just finished 2 installs in my 56 Bel Air & 64 Impala SS. I really like the sound.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Alberta65

I will have to check but Im pretty sure i went with Classic Car Stereo.

My PO hacked up the dash as well and I wasn't really ready to repaint the whole dash. so I welded his multiple holes shut then re cut for the new classic stereo and just repainted the stereo section of my 65 with a quick spray bomb... looks alright I think

Alberta65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #15
lsversaw

Alberta, I think your install looks great. My personal preference is to only make changes from stock when it suits the overall look or theme of the vehicle. I think your added gauges and the radio face look great together, and have the same "look" to them. I'm not sure I can define "look", but I know it when I see it!
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
Alberta65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsversaw View Post
Alberta, I think your install looks great. My personal preference is to only make changes from stock when it suits the overall look or theme of the vehicle. I think your added gauges and the radio face look great together, and have the same "look" to them. I'm not sure I can define "look", but I know it when I see it!
Thank you sir! Actually that means more to me than you know because I fought myself on cutting those holes for about a month. I too love the stock look especially when it comes to interiors on these ol girls
Posted via Mobile Device
Alberta65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:49 PM   #17
strkr

I am with you Isversaw. Looks like alot of work but well the effort. I am putting my stock radio back in. I want the old one hooked back up to play once in awhile. A lot of new stuff out there. After market steering wheel blue tooth control with head unit under seat or in glove box.
strkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #18
lsversaw

I agree with Strkr that there is a lot of new stuff out there. I think the newest trend with the new stuff is to separate the music source from the amplification and speakers. The source can be a phone, a portable music player, or just a USB stick ("thumb drive"). All the "head unit" has to do is receive the music from the source, amplify it, and send it to the speakers. And, for safety and convenience, provide volume control. And also radio reception, which phones don't do very well.

The great thing is, an original radio can be equipped with Bluetooth, an input jack, and a USB port, so it can receive music from any source. And an original radio can be modified to receive FM stereo. And power 4 speakers, plus external amps if you'd like.

So if you want to maintain the original appearance, or want something that doesn't look out of place, you have option of doing all the new stuff with a completely original appearance.

I'll stop my shameless self-promotion there, but PM me if you want more info.

By the way, I still think Alberta's install looks great, because in total his dash mods go together well.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:52 AM   #19
tech54K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
I second the vote on Retro Sound radio's high quality stuff there I have the Zuma model and I love it.
I agree with your choice!
tech54K is offline   Reply With Quote