The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

NP205 question

Giving the truck a once over now its out of shop, before starting on the interior.
put it into 4WD to get the front driveline and diff moving again. I noticed that there was adefined move into 4WD (Hi) at the back of the travel but when it went back to 2WD there a) was less of a defined shift and b) the front driveline was still moving as a drove (hoel in floor i look through) not much but a bit. Is this related to it not being in 4WD for a couple of years and it needs to loosen up properly or it is just messed up?
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
SilverMiner

Re: NP205 question

You might get more responses in the 4x4 section, but I'll throw in my 2 cents as long as you don't confuse me with an actual expert.

Unless you turned the hubs out to FREE from LOCK, the front driveline will still turn even with the transfer case in 2WD. The front differential will turn the driveline with the hubs in.

I agree that going from 4WD to 2WD can be indistinct sometimes. Do it enough times and you'll get a feel for where it is, and eventually that 205 will bind and you'll be cussing trying to get it either out of or into 4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
Giving the truck a once over now its out of shop, before starting on the interior.
put it into 4WD to get the front driveline and diff moving again. I noticed that there was adefined move into 4WD (Hi) at the back of the travel but when it went back to 2WD there a) was less of a defined shift and b) the front driveline was still moving as a drove (hoel in floor i look through) not much but a bit. Is this related to it not being in 4WD for a couple of years and it needs to loosen up properly or it is just messed up?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
eighteenninetytwo

Hubs are definitely on FREE. I'll just have to practice the 2WD to 4WD changing to get the feel for it!!!|
are there any recommended ways to do it the best way : ie going stright shifter in neutral / stopped shifte rin park etc etc ?

Last edited by eighteenninetytwo; 12-13-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
eighteenninetytwo

Drove about 20 miles today - front drive shaft is rotating SLOWLY as I drive at 50mph. As Ive never looked inside a transfer case - what could be the cause of this?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
Bigred74k20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
Drove about 20 miles today - front drive shaft is rotating SLOWLY as I drive at 50mph. As Ive never looked inside a transfer case - what could be the cause of this?
I have had 2 different trucks with a 205 in it (350 & 400) and in both of them the driveshafts would spin in 2WD. I ran gear oil in both of them, so there could of been a little more drag with that vs transmission fluid. You could have a hub that is faulty or sticking.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless it was grinding or spinning real fast in 2WD.

The way I would tackle this would be first by Googling this issue then checking the fluid in the front diff and Tcase, remove both locking hubs, clean all of the old grease out of it and the hub. With the locking hubs out, try spinning the axle shafts to see if you can get any movement out of the driveshaft. Apply some new grease and reassemble in reverse order of taking it apart and try again.

Im sure there is many other ways on addressing this but I would start with the simplist most cost effective way first.
6"Front 7.5"Rear F/R ORD bushings/front shackles
Sky shackle flip, Crossover, rear disc brake conversion
ORD steering box brace, Tom woods CV rear driveshaft
Bigred74k20 is offline   Reply With Quote