The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #51
Bdb68

Re: 1968 Custom Camper Duramax

A few things going on in the first picture. Fixed the angle on the shocks, painted the axle, installed a polished aluminum diff cover, got one for the front to. I think these covers are a great deal at around $60 each from Amazon. Especially compared to the $200+ for a fabricated cover, sure its not as strong, but I think it fits the look of the truck.

After a few months of looking for a van column, broke down bought a new tilt column. Ill have to take an install photo, but I still need to make a bezel for the gauge cluster.
Attached Images

1972 Crew Cab Project
Bdb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #52
Bdb68

The truck is now road worthy, still needs a lot of little things before I would want to take it out of town or try to tow, at least I can run to the hardware store in it now.

Some of the highlighted to dos;
  • Trailer lights and brakes
  • Seatbelts
  • New windshield
  • Heat and maybe A/C
  • Lift pump and tuneing
  • step bars
  • front drive shaft and transfer case shifter
Attached Images

1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #53
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That looks great! I've got the same diff covers on my 72 and they are nice. They have drain and fill plugs too. I ended up painting mine black because some dumb a drove the truck in the winter.....

I considered buying a CPP column too but I read some pretty bad stories with them so I passed. i'm interested to hear your take on them once you put some turns on it. I've been driving mine for almost 2 years now and I still have a list similar to yours of stuff to complete. They're never done.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #54
Bdb68

Upgraded the headlights to some Hella H4 housings with some cheap H4 bulbs, both from Amazon. I may upgrade the bulbs to LED or HID, but they are way better then the 1 sealed beam light I had before. I chose these housings because they look like a normal sealed beam headlight.

My buddy made me some new U-bolt plates with shock mounts, he also made the upper shock tower. A note to anyone doing a diesel swap into one of these trucks. I have had these Rough Country springs on the truck less than a year and less than 500 miles on the truck. They are already sagging substantial in the front and they are a 3/4 ton spring. I called Rough County and they said the springs are not designed for the weight of the Duramax. So now I'm replacing them with some custom built springs from Offroad Designs. I really hope they were worth the wheelbarrow of cash I paid for them. After I ordered them, I discovered it probably wouldn't have been a big deal to swap in some junk yard F350 leaf springs and longer shackle. Planning ahead can save a lot of time and money.
Attached Images

1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 08-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #55
Bdb68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That looks great! I've got the same diff covers on my 72 and they are nice. They have drain and fill plugs too. I ended up painting mine black because some dumb a drove the truck in the winter.....

I considered buying a CPP column too but I read some pretty bad stories with them so I passed. i'm interested to hear your take on them once you put some turns on it. I've been driving mine for almost 2 years now and I still have a list similar to yours of stuff to complete. They're never done.
I really like the covers, only the front came with the wrong size bolts, no big deal and for the price I just went to the hardware store and got the right ones. I never thought about the winter driving, Ill have to keep an eye on them.
I don't have many miles behind the wheel with the new column yet, but there are some things I like and some I don't. I have never seen a factory tilt in person so I cant compare. Things I've noticed so far, the gear indicator is kind of cheesy and I'm not sure how long the needle will last. The knob on the turn signal lever fell off, a little glue and no big deal. My truck did not have hazard lights so the hazard button is useless, not really CPPs fault. Otherwise, so far at least, the steering is tight, shifts are tight but smooth, tilt and turn work good, and the fire wall seal seems good.

That's the truth about never being done, My problem is I cant wait to drive them so I do whatever it takes to get to that point then procrastinate on the small stuff. Once they leave the shop its so hard to convince myself to take something apart to finish up. I am trying to convince myself the next truck is going to be a slow and detailed build and I'm not pulling it out of the garage till its 99% done, we will see if I can stick to that.
1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #56
70custom20

Great build, thanks for sharing. I’d love to do a diesel swap into my ‘70 K20 someday. A couple of questions if you don’t mind? In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of using the Duramax engine vs. the Cummins engine? Is there a transfer case adapter for a new process 205 that will bolt onto the Allison transmission? Or is there a bellhousing that will bolt to the back of the Duramax to allow the use of an NV4500 transmission? I’d like to try to plan out my build as much as possible, like you said, if you plan ahead, you can save money.
70custom20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #57
DieselSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70custom20 View Post
Great build, thanks for sharing. I’d love to do a diesel swap into my ‘70 K20 someday. A couple of questions if you don’t mind? In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of using the Duramax engine vs. the Cummins engine? Is there a transfer case adapter for a new process 205 that will bolt onto the Allison transmission? Or is there a bellhousing that will bolt to the back of the Duramax to allow the use of an NV4500 transmission? I’d like to try to plan out my build as much as possible, like you said, if you plan ahead, you can save money.
I have been researching the NV4500/Dmax combination for a while now. Seems that it can be done, though details are sketchy. Someone had to grind a bunch out of their bellhousing and weld reinforcements on the outside, and someone else did it with no bellhousing modifications. Still trying to track down the people that did it to get more details.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #58
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Are your head light housing lenses glass? I put some different ones in my 72 last fall because I didn't like the look of what I had and one of mine allows water to get in. It looks like I have a gold fish bowl for a head light.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #59
Orange67

Man I have no idea how I've missed your build, but I'm in now! Love the truck and your ingenuity. I have a 67 Custom Camper C20, want to do a Dmax/Allison swap. Not sure about going 4x4, but I certainly dig your ride man. My initial plan is to find a standard cab 2wd with a Dmax in it, and start swapping and modifying from there. I really like that you've retained a factory style frame.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #60
Bdb68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70custom20 View Post
70custom20, Thanks for the comment. I have done several LS swaps which were a lot easier, if you just want modern convenience and fuel economy, however the pulling power and unique wow factor me makes it well worth the work to me. I have a 96 Cummins 12 valve I will be swapping into a square body when I get all the bugs worked out on this truck, so until then I don't know all the pros and cons. Here is what I can tell you about my experience. The Duramax physically fits well into the 68, I only had to do minor trimming of the frame. The trans and transfer case fit with the high hump and some sledge hammer work to the bottom of the floor. Don't be afraid of the wiring and computers, I sent my harness to Ken from Standaloneharness.com, he cut it down only like 3 wires to make it fire up. It really wasn't too hard, read a lot, trail and error and good fab skills (or a buddy who is a fabricator and welder really helps). As far as the trans adapter I follow a company called Precision Fabrication Plus, Inc who make swap parts and kits to put a Duramax into square body Chevys. They make an adapter to bolt a NP205 to an Allison or ZF6 manual trans. I have never ordered from them so I can't comment on quality or service but they have some cool products. As far as NV4500 swap behind a Dmax, I have no info on the subject, however I follow a guy on Instagram who swapped a Duramax and ZF6 trans into a 71-72 and it seems to be working well for him. Hope that helps.
1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 10-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #61
Bdb68

Quote:
Are your head light housing lenses glass? I put some different ones in my 72 last fall because I didn't like the look of what I had and one of mine allows water to get in. It looks like I have a gold fish bowl for a head light.
They are glass, with a hole in the back for the H4 light to clip into. They have a sturdy rubber boot to cover the hole and seal out moisture. The truck mostly stays in the garage and I've only drove it in the rain a few times, but so far so good on moisture.
1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 10-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #62
Bdb68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
Man I have no idea how I've missed your build, but I'm in now! Love the truck and your ingenuity. I have a 67 Custom Camper C20, want to do a Dmax/Allison swap. Not sure about going 4x4, but I certainly dig your ride man. My initial plan is to find a standard cab 2wd with a Dmax in it, and start swapping and modifying from there. I really like that you've retained a factory style frame.
Thanks for the kind words. I recently tuned the truck and it is a blast to drive, I haven't put it on the Dyno yet but the tuner estimates 400-450hp, it is stock other than, intake, down pipe, exhaust, fass fuel pump and tune. If anything ever happens to the trans or I win a good scratch off lotto ticket, I plan to build the trans, bigger turbo or compounds and see what it will do. Around my area the 2wd Duramax trucks are a lot cheaper and as long as the oil pan to cross member clearance works out i think it would be a quicker/ easier swap. Unless you are planning on swapping your body on the Duramax frame, don't worry about it being a standard cab or extend/ crew cab. The standard cab long bed is a few inches longer than our truck so you will have to shorten the driveshaft anyways. Other than the driveshaft I don't see any issues using other models of Duramax trucks as a donor.
1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 10-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #63
Bdb68

For those following this build, I apologize for not posting much lately. I have done a little more work to the truck, have been driving it. Last weekend it got a little workout I used it around the house for a fencing project, including hauling over 3300lbs of bagged concrete in the bed and a loaded trailer of fencing materials. The truck hardly squatted and neither the engine or axles seemed to notice the load was even there.
I had it tuned a few weeks ago and it is night and day difference in performance and now its just down right fun to drive. The the tuner estimates 400-450hp, I plan to Dyno it whenever I get a chance and I will update you all on that. The only issues I have been having are on steering. My first steering box was sloppy and all over the road, I swapped it with a box off my square body which has around 50k miles on it. This was a lot better but still had more slop then I would like. Over the weekend I put a new re-manufactured unit from the local part store and now I have no power steering and no power assist (hydro-boost). I have tried jacking up the frontend and turning lock to lock for what seems like hours and still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas? Can it be a bad steering box causing the issue? I have never had an issue with the hydro-boost before.
Attached Images

1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 10-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #64
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's great to see you using it and cool that you got it tuned. I'm sure it is a blast to drive! Have you tried cracking the pressure line at the box, then turn the wheel to full lock. Tighten the line and try that until you get air out of the system? I've had to do that on some stubborn dodges before.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #65
Bdb68

Quote:
It's great to see you using it and cool that you got it tuned. I'm sure it is a blast to drive! Have you tried cracking the pressure line at the box, then turn the wheel to full lock. Tighten the line and try that until you get air out of the system? I've had to do that on some stubborn dodges before.
Ryan, I tried several different methods to bleed the system, it turned out to be a clogged valve/ fitting in the back side of the pump. I removed it, cleaned it and reinstalled. After that, we bleed the system and it is working perfectly.
1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 11-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #66
Bdb68

Not much of an update, I need to take some more pictures and post here. My buddy made brackets for front and rear sway bars and rear shocks. I also found a free set of ladder bars that were ordered wrong and couldn't be returned. So we made brackets and mounted them up, picture to follow soon. I have put a couple hundred more miles on the truck and haven't have any major issues. My water pump started leaking through the weep hole, I haven't had time to replace it yet. On a side note, I brought home another future project, I don't know much about it, its a C60 with a tall deck 427, 5 speed with 2 speed rear axle. It was hooked up to a tow truck on its way to be crushed, I paid scrap price for it and tipped the driver to drop it off at my house. The engine was stuck, I soaked the cylinders with penetrating oil for a week and got it to turn over. It now cranks over smooth with the starter. The carb is missing, so when I have time I will throw one on it and see if I can get it to fire up.
Attached Images

1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 11-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #67
Bdb68

The white Duramax was put together very quickly, because I sold my other 4x4 truck and I needed something I can tow and do household chores out of. Because I put it together so quickly alot of things didn't get finished and there are a lot of zip ties. I decided I want to take the truck apart change some things and put everything back together better. This time I don't want any reason to rush anything. So, that means I've got to have something else to work out of. Rather than buy a cheap 3/4 ton 4x4, drive for a year or so and sell when this truck is done, I decided I need another project. This brings us to the 86 crew cab square body. Build thread here
1972 Crew Cab Project

Last edited by Bdb68; 11-28-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #68
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Good to hear you haven't had any major issues. I've been trying to find an affordable dmax donor truck around here with no real luck. Nice score on the C60!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #69
Bdb68

Quote:
Good to hear you haven't had any major issues. I've been trying to find an affordable dmax donor truck around here with no real luck. Nice score on the C60!
I looked for a long time for a Duramax donor and everyone I could find way more than I wanted to spend. I pretty much gave up on the diesel swap, when a friend of mine sent me a link to the engine I ended up buying. The add listed the engine and trans, for the price they had listed, I almost didn't call because it was so cheap I thought it was a scam. I called anyways and the story was the guy heard the engine run, him and a buddy took everything they thought they needed out of the donor, planning on swapping into a 50s chevy truck. After a few months of scratching his head, he decided an LS swap would be easier. I got the engine, trans, transfer case, wiring harness, computers, radiator, and inner cooler. I would recommend getting the complete donor vehicle if you can. I got a really good deal on just the drive train, but I spent a lot of time and money tracking down all the small parts you don't think about. Check out facebook market place and coparts auction, around my area everyone on craigslist is asking ridiculous prices.
Thanks, I don't know if I will ever do anything with the C60 but I couldn't let it go to scrap, its too cool.
1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 12-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #70
6BT 56

Are those the 427 emblems on the hood ? I think the c50 c60 guys really like those . I'd love to take that cab and put on a f550 4x4 chassis with cummins and g5600. 4x4 o5 ish top kick would be better but good luck finding that . F550 are everywhere. Lots of trucks get built with big truck wheels and such but I really want something that I could put miles on with 30k behind it and go across scales leaglly . Can't do that with wheel spacers and 22,5s on a one ton driveline like everybody seems to build these days .
New 2018 ram 3500 drw 4x4. Makes my 2005 Look as if it's been running on 4 cyl since new !
My Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556908
6BT 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #71
Bdb68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BT 56 View Post
Are those the 427 emblems on the hood ? I think the c50 c60 guys really like those . I'd love to take that cab and put on a f550 4x4 chassis with cummins and g5600. 4x4 o5 ish top kick would be better but good luck finding that . F550 are everywhere. Lots of trucks get built with big truck wheels and such but I really want something that I could put miles on with 30k behind it and go across scales leaglly . Can't do that with wheel spacers and 22,5s on a one ton driveline like everybody seems to build these days .
Yes it has the 427 emblems, and the engine turns, I just haven't had time to throw a carb on it and see if it will start. The truck was kind of an impulse buy. If the engine, trans, axle and air brakes turn out to be good I will probably just throw a ramp bed on the back and make it a car hauler. If the that turns out to be too much trouble, I would love to find something like you are talking about, a later model big truck (preferably a cummins powered roll back).
1972 Crew Cab Project
Old 03-01-2024, 12:05 PM   #72
Dan Castilleja

Thumbs down Re: 1968 Custom Camper Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdb68 View Post
Phase 2, The fun begins.
After about a week with the 305 we decided it needed more power. I drove it into the garage. We removed the 305 and had planed to install a 6.0L LS with an adapter flywheel to use the 350/205 trans and transfer case already in the truck. Sometime overnight the plan changed from doing a quick and cheap ls swap to a diesel convesion. A few weeks prior, I picked up a Duramax LB7, Allison and transfer case on Craigslist. It came with the wiring, computers, radiator, inercooler and other parts. This was going to be the powerplant for the crew cab. However I decided it was taking up entirely too much space and would be a while before the crew cab was ready for an engine.
What motor mounts did you use?
Dan Castilleja is offline   Reply With Quote