The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
xbanone

Cool Tuff Country EZ ride vs. Skyjacker Softride

I really thought I could find a comparison on these two brands in the search feature as they are both advertised as great riding springs. I know the EZ rides are thought highly of around here but on some other sites like coloradok5.com alot of people really like softride kits better, but they are known to be pricey.

I am shopping around for a 4" lift for my '76 GMC short/step. The best internet price I can find on the EZrides is $510 shipped with the steering arm.(suspension connection). I can buy Softrides locally for $434+54 for the steering arm and gas up to National tire and Wheel. ( I have to go there anyway to get a 35" MT/r).

So.........With the price aside, which is a beater setup in terms of ride, quality and overall performance, Tuff Counrty or Skyjacker? I would love to hear of some of you with expierence with both.

Thanks
Brady
xbanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
72blue

Re: Tuff Counrty EZ ride vs. Skyjacker Softride

anyone? ttt
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
72chevyk10
I built it

i have the skyjacker softride. i think it rides beter then stock. its a bit stiffer but not jaring the new shocks probly helped too. but i got blocks in the rear also. overall i think it rides much beter then stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
xbanone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevyk10 View Post
i have the skyjacker softride. i think it rides beter then stock. its a bit stiffer but not jaring the new shocks probly helped too. but i got blocks in the rear also. overall i think it rides much beter then stock.
what kind of shocks did you get? I have Bilstein 5100's sitting in a box, trying to decide which springs to get.

Brady
Old 05-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Mudder

I have always ran the Tuff Country's and never had any problems. Just to make your decision harder
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

You would have to find someone who has run both brands on the same or two simular trucks.I think they both do what they are intended to do.Both have please buyers.And,those prices are about the same.If it was me I`d get the Soft-rides from National since you`re going there for tires.I`ve only run EZ-Rides on a couple trucks and I like them..

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Good points, Tim.

And to further confuse the issue for the OP, I cannot compare them.... but I have had 2.5" Softrides for several years and couldn't be more pleased with the quality, and the ride is decent too.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
72chevyk10
I built it

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbanone View Post
what kind of shocks did you get? I have Bilstein 5100's sitting in a box, trying to decide which springs to get.

Brady
i have the skyjacker nitro's

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
xbanone

I think I gonna go up friday and pick up the 4" softride. So I will have a short/step on a 4" with bilstein shocks and 35" goodyear MTr's. Should make a nice combo.

Thanks everyone for your opinions

Brady
Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Good points, Tim.

And to further confuse the issue for the OP, I cannot compare them.... but I have had 2.5" Softrides for several years and couldn't be more pleased with the quality, and the ride is decent too.
These are the same ones I had on my black K10 that now belongs to oldiron. I think the shocks are Rancho 5000's. I never drove it with stock springs so I have no comparison. I thought the ride was decent, not too harsh. I think both companies have a good rep.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbanone View Post
I think I gonna go up friday and pick up the 4" softride. So I will have a short/step on a 4" with bilstein shocks and 35" goodyear MTr's. Should make a nice combo.

Thanks everyone for your opinions

Brady
What is included in these prices?I`m looking for a 4" kit w/rear springs.with or w/o shocks.I already have a steering arm.Price is very important right now for me.I`d like a kit with whatever shocks and front/rear springs as cheap as possible.
Any suggestions?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-14-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
xbanone

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What is included in these prices?I`m looking for a 4" kit w/rear springs.with or w/o shocks.I already have a steering arm.Price is very important right now for me.I`d like a kit with whatever shocks and front/rear springs as cheap as possible.
Any suggestions?
http://www.ntwonline.com/67-72_1_2_T_Pick-up_C151.cfm

NTW has a no-name brand which is much cheaper. The prices I posted above is for 73-87
Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
SeventyOne

Re: Tuff Country EZ ride vs. Skyjacker Softride

Does anyone know spring rate data of the two lifts? That would be the only "scientific" way to determine the softest ride - given the same two trucks (Same engine, auto tranny, no extras added on, etc)
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
xbanone

http://www.coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml

There is more to the story than spring rate, and there is a difference between softest and best ride. Judging from spring rate alone Tuff Country wins by a landslide.

But....a super soft spring with the wrong shock and provide a loose and floaty feeling ride, where a stiffer spring with a better shock [I]may[I] provider a more controlled ride.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

The design of EZ-Rides is unique.The springs are thick/heavy stock.The 'ride" comes from the design w/o reducing rate.A typical spring is one continuous arch.EZ-Rides are flatter in the center,then the arch increases towards the eyes.Picture an archer`s bow that flexes more at the ends than in the center.
The best way to go with shocks is adjustable,such as Rancho 9000RSXs.I don`t know about the 9-setting thing.I either set on softest for regular use or stiffest for hauling a trailer where stability is vital.It`s a heavy diesel with carpentry tools,at least 1,000#,and handles fine on "soft" as well as rides and flexes well.Add a loaded trailer and it`s more mushy that i like.So,I set to firm and it`s a stabil tow rig.It rides like a rock in the rear,like speed bumps...BAM!!,on firm and no trailer.That`s with 1000# in the truck.

Hey,National says 4 hours for install.Does that mean if I have them install it they`ll only charge a 4 hour rate?That would sure be worth it.It`s never been that easy for me.

Tim

Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
heavymech

I realize this thread is older than ****, but there is something fishy about this leaf spring comparison. I have the Tuff Country 2" springs on my K20 and I feel like they are not as cushy as everyone lets on. Maybe the advertised low rate is making everyone think their truck is riding softer than it really is. The comparison is for lbs. per square inch which is hard to compare to the factory springs which are just rated as 1110 lb. springs. And I don't believe for a second that the EZ rides are that much softer than the Skyjacker springs. There seems to be just as many people that think the SJ springs are the softest as visa versa. All I know is I removed my front shocks last week (Bilstien 5150) to see if they were the culprit to my harsh ride. And the truck rides almost the same without them. I can put all my weight on a corner of the front bumper and barely move the truck. That's about 255lbs. if anybody's interested. And just to clear up any questions before they start. Yes, I'm sure I have the EZ Rides and not the HD's. And I also know the 2" springs have the same exact rate as the 4" springs. I will say that my motor is all aluminium though, as well as my radiator which may be causing some of it. I actually am considering removing the lower small leaf to see if that helps.
Attached Images

heavymech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
68panelman

I can second your opinion. As beautiful these trucks are, and I do love these trucks, they ride like crap. I have also had tuff country, superlift springs on 10&20 series trucks, pulled shocks, added different brands, and it does not matter. These trucks are what they are and leafs at all corners were never going to give a comfortable "soft" ride.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
68panelman

Your truck is beautiful also!
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
heavymech

Thanks for the compliment 68panelman! I think to get a decent ride that people are use to with more modern vehicles there is going to have to be a certain level of alteration or some very expensive springs from Deaver or Alcan etc. Seems like people are having luck with longer springs in the front. Or airbags, or coil overs..... lol
Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
54blackhornet

Can you guy's give me some help ? I need to replace the springs on my 71 K-10 front & rear. The truck will only be used off road, for light duty hauling, mostly for driving around in snow during hunting season. I was not planning on lifting it ? Do you have to lift it to get a decent set of springs ? I was also planning on replacing all hardware and bushings and shocks. Can you get a better then OEM spring without going sky high ?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
heavymech

I would call a company called SD truck springs. They sell Tuff Country at the lowest prices and they also sell the stock springs. They should be able to tell what is the best choice.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
Bigdav160

I bought my EZ ride springs from SD.

I met a guy last week that said he changed to longer leafs and it improved his ride comfort greatly.

I wish I had known that before I installed my EZ Rides.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I never read anything on my EZ-Rides. I'm going by how my actual experience,and these springs have made all four trucks I've used them on ride very nice. Since '77 I have run many brands of lift springs,and almost all were 67-72 K/20s. These were not designed to ride soft,just lift the truck. I've also had spring shops lift trucks using various methods. My first lift I did by arching the springs using a sledge hammer on an anvil and adding leafs. From all this personal experience is where my opinion is coming from.

I think what some consider a good ride is the difference. I love how a solid axle leaf spring 4wd rides. It is nothing like an IFS. You will never take the difference away,just soften the ride some. One side affects the other no matter what you do. I love the firmness and lack of dive/body roll. The truck just pounces forward. I love that tough feeling of driving them. If I wanted a ride better than what these give I'd be driving a 2wd. I do drive a '92 K3500 and that rides like a 2wd. These trucks don't ride like crap,they ride like a real 4wd,no matter what year or what make.

The way you make springs carry a truck higher is to over arch them. The more arch,the stiffer they get. Lift kits make the truck ride stiffer. The design of Ez-Rides gives you a flatter spot at the center to allow more flex.The effect is a shorter spring,but it's a way to soften the ride compared to a continuous arch.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 12-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
vectorit
What?

I have used a few different spring systems in the trucks I have had in the past, and all of them had the stiff straight axle ride. Though the one thing I have noticed that improves said ride, is the wheel base of the truck you are driving.

My 1983 straight axle Toyota with a Rancho 2" suspension lift, would make you see stars if you hit a pot hole real hard.
My recent 1970 SWB K10 had a EZ ride system I think, and that truck rode like a Jeep. Due to the short wheel base, it was like a bucking horse front to back/front to back.
My 1968 K20 Suburban with a 2" re arch and 1 additional leaf rides awesome on rough roads, and absorbs the sharp bumps with out knocking your teeth out or making you clutch your kidney's.

The other thing that I notice that will exasperate a stiff suspension, is sitting in a seat that is too soft and springy.

Like Tim said, the old 4x4's drive like a real 4x4 should.
(Even though I like IFS as well )
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
heavymech

After talking with Bilstein about getting my 5125 shocks revalved for a less harsh ride the tech suggested taking the shocks off to see if it was the shocks or the springs that were causing the rough ride. I took off the shocks and noticed the truck really didn't ride much different! I'm used to worn out or missing shocks causing a vehicle to bounce all over the place. After a while though the front springs started to give and the truck became more and more bouncy. I put the shocks back on and I now have a much better ride!