The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
BurnoutNova

78 K10 Plow truck project

Here's a little project I did last week at work. I work for a Corvette restoration shop, and we aslo have a fully equipped Automotive machine shop. Makes it very nice to do a quick engine rebuild on shop trucks like this one.

This has been the shop plow truck since before I worked there. 78 Cheyenne K10 with a 400ci small block, th350, np203, D44 and 12 bolt. It has a Western 7.6 Blade with an electric pump. The motor was kind of tired, and burned and leaked oil everywhere. We already had about 2' of snow so far this year and the last snow it really started to run poorly... so I pulled it in when there wasn't snow in the forecast.
Attached Images

BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
BurnoutNova

Re: 78 K10 Plow truck project

Once I tore down the engine, I saw that it had .030" piston in it already. I expected to find an original engine that hadn't been rebuilt. I took off some of the main and rod caps, .010" and the bearing looked great. pulled one piston and checked the bore and measured cylinder wall to piston clearance and bore taper. it only had like .0025" clearance and almost NO taper... so I just put the piston back in and cleaned everthing back up. It's almost like someone rebuilt the shortblock but put the old heads back on with bad valve guides? Once I took the heads apart though the guides were bad, and I found a broken valve spring. After cleaning and magnafluxing them, I found several cracks. I could have fixed the seats and put new guides in, but we had a pair of rebuilt 400 heads ready to go so I just used those instead.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
BurnoutNova

I got the shortblock cleaned, installed the new cam and lifters, new oil pump, and timing set. Then I got the oil pan and timing cover put back on and put the rebuilt heads on. Gave everything a coat of Chevy orange and then put on a new waterpump, intake and all the cleaned up pulleys and brackets. I was supprised there was a factory aluminum intake on it, so I threw it in the bead blaster and cleaned it up too!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
BurnoutNova

I even had to put a Z on the flexplate... noone usually sees it but sometimes I mark stuff with my initial before I put it back together... not on customer cars tho!

Got it all back together just in time, the day I got it running it snowed about 8" Runs real good for just a quick freshen job. I would have taken it all the way and rebuilt everything, but it was in good shape and it is just a rusty old plow truck. It never even see's public streets anymore!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
vk_chevy

it's a pretty cool plow truck,
I got a 400 that I am looking at building some day with some vortec heads that picked up not long ago, should be a fun little motor.

where is the mandatory engine bay shot with the fresh engine?
65 Jag MKII
vk_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk_chevy View Post
it's a pretty cool plow truck,
I got a 400 that I am looking at building some day with some vortec heads that picked up not long ago, should be a fun little motor.

where is the mandatory engine bay shot with the fresh engine?
It snowed that day! I had to scramble to get it running and then it was off to plow!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
82swampthing

nice job with the motor looks great.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
winchster

Sweet, I wish you were closer I'd talk you into taking the front clip off my '78 K5 to replace the rust you got eating you up. If I can't get rid of this stuff it's just going to get crushed.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...949%20Project/

Support our troops, stand behind 'em or get in front of 'em.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
winchster is offline   Reply With Quote