The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2016, 01:42 AM   #1
streetstar

Fat guy in a little cab

I know the 67-72 guys tinker around with collapsing the steering column, but outside of ordering a custom column or a different offset wheel-- what are some of the things you gents have undertaken to better fit in these trucks?

I have a '75 that i am wanting to drive again. Pants size is in the uppper 40's, so i'm quite large -- currently when i drive, the steering will wander from belly interference and i sit bolt upright with as much of my cake storage device sucked in as possible

Thanks in advance

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Fat guy in a little cab

All i can think of is shorter seat or smaller steering wheel.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
chrismoore701

Tilt
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Jenny craig...hehehe
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
riz

In all seriousness...........lose some weight.......... NOT trying to be an a$$hole........ thinking of your health in general. I was 300 lbs over a year ago and in a size 46" waist. I had enough of feeling like crap and worrying about when the inevitable stroke was going to hit so I put my mind and effort into losing weight so I could be around for my wife and daughter. So far I have lost 60 lbs and feel great. My goal is to lose 100. It's hard at first but stay strong and chip away at it a bit at a time. I'm currently at a size 40 waist, my blood pressure is normal, I'm not tired all the time, tons of energy, happier, etc.... I'm sorry if I'm out of line and I'm not trying to brag.... I just want to give the support to others and hopefully pass on some good advice....... plus, wouldn't you know it, I fit in my truck and other vehicles much better now. I hope you at least listen to my words and maybe it will motivate you. YOU deserve it..... make the changes. Give it time. Stay strong. Live.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Chevy_mud_truck

I'm a large guy myself 6' tall 300lbs I don't have to much of a problem with my belly hitting the steering wheel but when I get my seat set where I feel comfortable with my feet on the clutch pedal I feel like my arms are 12 feet long or something I would love to be able to set more comfortable in my truck when driving
Chevy_mud_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

I am with Riz on this one, I had the same problem belly rubbing the wheel, I went to a Vega/Camaro wheel, I think it is like 15" diameter. I finally went the route of Riz to, I was well over 310lbs (5-7 frame), I have lost over 100lbs now and feel so much better, my blood pressure is now below even what my doctor recommended for me. I can do anything I want now with no feelings of being tired, I am even sleeping much better.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
streetstar

I appreciate the input fellas, but will add that i didnt intend to turn this into a weight loss support thread. I have a mirror and a scale already

That said, would the camaro wheel require an adapter plate? I thought about a decent wood rimmed aftermarket wheel but those usually require an adapter mechanism that pushes the wheel further towards you. The seat i am using is just what the General put in in 1975

Old 04-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #9
riz

Sorry if you think it's out of line talking about weight loss........... go buy one of those little low rider chain steering wheels... problem solved.

RIZ
Old 04-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
andrewmp6

There was a post on here a while back showing off different gm steering wheels people have used.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
riz

There's only so much you can do in a C10 cab...... it's like making a drag car as light as you possibly can but if you want a better weight to power ratio, you need to start looking at the driver.

RIZ
Old 04-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
I appreciate the input fellas, but will add that i didnt intend to turn this into a weight loss support thread. I have a mirror and a scale already

That said, would the camaro wheel require an adapter plate? I thought about a decent wood rimmed aftermarket wheel but those usually require an adapter mechanism that pushes the wheel further towards you. The seat i am using is just what the General put in in 1975
There is no adapter plate needed, GM used the same type of wheel mounting for all its cars and trucks for many years.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

One more extreme option is to change the seats to smaller bucket seats. I plan to put Chrysler Sebring convertible seats in my 83. I am not sure how they compare in front to back dimension but I know they are smaller overall. You can also get seat belt extenders for the Sebring seats which are integral to the seat and far better than the stock square body seat belts.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
TrailerTrash

Honda Del Sol seats sit very low. i put them in my Honda Civic and they are a good 3 inches lower than stock civic seats. stock civic seats are about average for a small cars bucket seats.

ive been watching craigslist for awhile now looking for a set for a decent price. ive made a frame to attatch them to in a way that they can still slide forward and backwards and of course the tilt would still work. but i need the seats to make it work

its just an idea if you are considering swapping seats. you would easily gain 6 inches or more between the seat and bottom of the steering wheel
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
Cowdogpete

Dont know if it would help, but back in the day we used to stack washers under the front seat mounts to tilt the seat back a bit. Would get you a little more leg room (I have 40 inch inseam)
Might give you a bit of releaf....
Cowdogpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
Sorry if you think it's out of line talking about weight loss........... go buy one of those little low rider chain steering wheels... problem solved.

RIZ

Thanks goofball ---- you advised you used to weigh 3-bills yourself-----

Did you ever think about weight loss? I bet you did every single day many times a day. Most of us that struggle with extra weight outside of "love handles" likely do

Out of line? I never implored that it is out of line --- its just not the question i asked

--- Go play with yourself in the middle of a busy intersection

Old 04-16-2016, 12:16 AM   #17
lkfldredneck

Ive been thinkin about putting an 88-94 steering wheel in my truck. I dont have the belly problem. i have a height problem haha 6'4 bare feet, about another inch ontop with my work boots on. its not a fun climb into the truck with no tilt steering. Trying to cram my legs in every time i hop in is getting old.

All i could say is a tilt column with a smaller wheel if you dont want to get rid of the bench seat
lkfldredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:52 AM   #18
RootBeerFXS

I am right on the cuff. 310, 6'3", no tilt and just added ProCar low back buckets and seat brackets. the seats sit me pretty high and close to the wheel with the stocker. I found a vega/camaro wheel and tried it temporarily. It is a little smaller and seems to work better but it was bent so I am off to find another.
Attached Images

RootBeerFXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #19
homemade87

Heres how I fixed my crowded feeling . The seat is much thinner than the oem seat ( 90's truck seat ) . Sits much farther back and a little lower in the seat area and farther back in the lower back area which will move you away from the steering wheel . Also the the tilt column will move the steering wheel more vertical . If it is a non tilt column the lower part of the steering wheel will stick out towards the rear more . I am not a large person but I am 6' and long legs and this set up made a lot of difference . Also feels like I have a lot more room between the wheel and me .
Attached Images

homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #20
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
There is no adapter plate needed, GM used the same type of wheel mounting for all its cars and trucks for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeerFXS View Post
I am right on the cuff. 310, 6'3", no tilt and just added ProCar low back buckets and seat brackets. the seats sit me pretty high and close to the wheel with the stocker. I found a vega/camaro wheel and tried it temporarily. It is a little smaller and seems to work better but it was bent so I am off to find another.

Thanks guys'. -- that Vega wheel is nice and looks "era correct" --- Thats a factor that is important to me
I will also cruise the LMC catalog and see if they have a replacement wheel for an S-10, - not era correct per se' , but the one in my 89 S10 is pretty small too

RootBeer, i happen to have a pair of buckets from an '89 that are currently un-used - i am going to try to bolt them in and see what happens- they are the wrong color, but if they work, i know where there is an upholstery shop

Old 04-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #21
streetstar

Quote:
Thanks guys'. -- that Vega wheel is nice and looks "era correct" --- Thats a factor that is important to me
I will also cruise the LMC catalog and see if they have a replacement wheel for an S-10, - not era correct per se' , but the one in my 89 S10 is pretty small too

RootBeer, i happen to have a pair of buckets from an '89 that are currently un-used - i am going to try to bolt them in and see what happens- they are the wrong color, but if they work, i know where there is an upholstery shop

buckets not gonna work -- i had 'em installed in a '69 GMC, but that had a relatively flat floor pan ---- the '75 would need a lot of massaging to make '89 buckets fit

---- Meantime, i am continuing on my "No Sugar No Grains" nutrition path along with some yoga and maybe between that and a smaller wheel i will reach a happy place

Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #22
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Heres how I fixed my crowded feeling . The seat is much thinner than the oem seat ( 90's truck seat ) . Sits much farther back and a little lower in the seat area and farther back in the lower back area which will move you away from the steering wheel . Also the the tilt column will move the steering wheel more vertical . If it is a non tilt column the lower part of the steering wheel will stick out towards the rear more . I am not a large person but I am 6' and long legs and this set up made a lot of difference . Also feels like I have a lot more room between the wheel and me .

I agree with the 90's seat giving you more room. My truck had a 90's seat in it when I bought it. Over time, I went back with the stock seat during the interior restoration. I noticed the stock seat put me up and closer to the steering wheel.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
RootBeerFXS

Quote:
buckets not gonna work -- i had 'em installed in a '69 GMC, but that had a relatively flat floor pan ---- the '75 would need a lot of massaging to make '89 buckets fit

---- Meantime, i am continuing on my "No Sugar No Grains" nutrition path along with some yoga and maybe between that and a smaller wheel i will reach a happy place
Yeah, I have a set of the later model buckets. I didn't care much for the way they looked. I have a set of 71 camaro seats too and they have "the lean" so I didn't even bother to try those.

I think you could get a satisfactory result with the wheel and if you need more then install a tilt. I have just found the original seat that came in my truck and it has the solid foam lower cushion instead of the thin foam and springs. If you found one of those you could have the foam cut down too if reupholstering is an option.
RootBeerFXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #24
riz

I gave advice..... you sounded like you didn't want it. I gave a way to fix it by losing weight and a way to get smaller steering wheel as well as saying the cabs don't lend much in the way of making much more room. I did something that fixed the problem I was having... just thought I'd share and see if you'd want to do the same. I was being thoughtful of your health from the very beginning. If you want to attack me, feel free.

RIZ
Old 04-17-2016, 12:00 AM   #25
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
I gave advice..... you sounded like you didn't want it. I gave a way to fix it by losing weight and a way to get smaller steering wheel as well as saying the cabs don't lend much in the way of making much more room. I did something that fixed the problem I was having... just thought I'd share and see if you'd want to do the same. I was being thoughtful of your health from the very beginning. If you want to attack me, feel free.

RIZ

Sigh............. the suggestion to go to a chrome chainlink 10" lowrider steering wheel was a bit sarcastic bro

Did not want to get into this .......... but i do not mind ----- you sound like a conscientious man and i dig that

Every "fat guy" has a story ---- mine is different , but the same all at once

I spent my youth in the US Army boys club (me on the left )-- acceptance into this branch of the Army was limited and the training was arduous --- i thrived and spent 5 years there

Needing new challenges after my military service, i found i was a fair to middlin' cyclist --

This pic is from a BMX national --- i'm roughly 50 pounds heavier than my military weight but at 13% body fat
---- I will add for those familiar with BMX machinery that this pic was taken in 2000 when i was 28 years old --- and i am riding an '84 Mongoose California with retro gear --- and its a wonder why i like old trucks

Here's where i work out now-- this is an Olympic training facility and i am surrounded by fairly serious folk on a daily basis

This is a 2015 pic on the lift at a mountain bike downhill facility -- i am currently training for the 2016 Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze Downhill ---- at 44 years of age -- with the extra weight i have implied that i have picked up when i started this thread

The sad part about being an athlete who doesnt make enough to retire on , is that eventually you have to get a job ---- usually in your late 20's or early 30's ---- Going from an athlete's life to the life of a regular joe (for me, contract insurance adjuster) - is hell
Going from a regimented life with my meals and workouts planned, to 14 hours a day of chaos -- and then a little later adding marriage

I am proud to say that at my last physical checkup, my doctor was dismayed at my weight (it was a hair over 3 bills) - but very happy that my lipid, cholesterol and blood pressure profile as well as resting heart rate was very favorable ----- In fact she was shaking her head that my operating system was still fairly healthy at that weight - To tell the truth , i was too - i was scared of what my physical might reveal
-- I have to credit my parents with decent genes i guess -- plus a lifetime of pushing myself to the absolute physical limit
--- As well, I think among husky gents, ---- there is a big difference between those of us who struggle to get out of bed everyday and those of us who can still benchpress bodyweight and squat 5 bills

I mistakenly thought through the years many times that i just need to up my activity level to drop weight -- and now i have had to eat a lot of humble pie when i realized it was not that simple

The old "Calories in-- Calories out" analogy is bogus for some of us ---- although my genes are keeping me healthy, they have blessed me with the metabolism of an old cave bear -- i have a natural tendency to hold onto what i dont burn for the long haul in case i have a long winter

To wrap up all this pontificating -- here's a pic of my truck --- i love this thing -- '75 Cheyenne 454. I'd like to use it more --- its a little like me. Plenty of power and torque but surrounded by a big, utilitarian chassis

So to epilogue --- My name is Doug -- I've represented my country on foreign soil both as a soldier and as a masters level athlete
I still surround myself with excellence but struggle to find the fine line between activity and nutrition for myself
--- i might live till i'm 107, or i could kick off tomorrow - life gives us no guarantees ,
In the meantime --- i will continue trying to make my C-10 more comfortable to drive

Have a good one Riz -- and i will say that i admire your resolve if you were once fat but are now fit