The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
Jason71k10
ready for reassembly

tach install

I just bought an aftermarket tach for my 71 k10. My truck has the basic inst. panel...just spedo/gas/warning lights.
My question is, Where do I hook the tach wire to? It has the original type distributor and coil. Do I hook the wire to the coil terminal??

Also, I would like to put on more gauges that mine didn't come with( volt/ temp/oil pr. etc.) Are all the sensor on the engine, ready to be hooked up? or can I use the sensors that the warning lights use, or will I need new ones??

Any help would be awesome. Thanks
Jason71k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

Your aftermarket tach should have a red wire, a black wire, a white wire, and a green wire. The red goes to a 12 volt source, when the key is on. The black goes to a good body ground. The white wire is for the light, and the green wire will go to the negative - terminal on the old style coil.

As far as the gauges, if you're talking about putting in aftermarket gauges (IE: sunpro, auto meter, etc), they should all come with their own senders.

ttt
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:54 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Agreeing with all that Tj said...if your planning on swaping over to the stock guage panel, you'll need all the senders, and harnesses to convert. The plug is the same on the back of the inst panel, but as I found out, you will fry your fuel guage and your dash lights will not work properly if you just slap the guage type dash in there.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote