The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2018, 05:14 AM   #1
1tuff71

shift lever seal

ok guys having a problem getting the shift lever seal to seal. replaced this bugger twice and it still leaks. is there another problem to look for here. read all the posts I could find on this with no luck. I have the correct tool for removal and cant see anything else. is it possible the shaft is so worn that a new seal wont fix it. hate to replace the trans just to fix it. can I use some atv on the seal. maybe the shaft is too worn. help !!!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
1tuff71

Re: shift lever seal

sorry I didn't give more details. its a th350 automatic in a 71 blazer 4x4
Old 05-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
geezer#99

You likely need to remove the shaft to clean it up. Could be a small burr or two on it.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

On the all times you changed this seal did you drop the pan down and take the shaft out of the case..... did u install the seal without the shaft in the case ?
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Make sure the case is clean when installing this seal. Once you have the linkage and shaft removed clean the case real good to make sure no dirt or anything is inside where the seal goes into the case. I use a 1/2 inch deep well socket and use it as a seal driver. Being careful to ensure seal is started into the case so you don’t roll the edge of the outer part of the seal. Once you tap the socket which forces the seal into place take the shaft and put STP onto it before you slide the shaft into the seal. Be careful not to damage the seal when installing the shaft into the case and do not let the shaft to dig into the case. Go in the case and seal straight. As mentioned check the lever shaft for any wear, burrs etc

The pic is a TH400 but it is the same concept. Good luck !!!
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
1tuff71

thanks guys
Old 05-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
1tuff71

I didn't remove the shaft from the trans. I have had a bugger of a time with this. new pans, gaskets bla bla. chased it down to this seal now can't get that to seal. thought I may have a cracked case. again thanks for the help guys
Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

How's the dipstick and kickdown seals? Once that dipstick seal starts to leak fluid will travel to weird places and make it appear to be other areas.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff71 View Post
I didn't remove the shaft from the trans. I have had a bugger of a time with this. new pans, gaskets bla bla. chased it down to this seal now can't get that to seal. thought I may have a cracked case. again thanks for the help guys
Since you nailed it down to the lever seal is leaking,

I suggest to read post #5 again, execute that plan of attack...may get different results..